Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Fall camp thread 2024

I'm really not understanding the hate for HH in this thread. Do I want him as our QB? No. Raiola needs to stay healthy. Situationally does he have a place on the field for 10-15 snaps? Absolutely.

What if we have him in with Fidone and he's in the H-back or slot, we run a tunnel screen to Barney or Banks? Then we have plays built off of that where he's running free outside where he has to outrun an OLB that he is more than capable of?

I think people hate the concept for a couple reasons:

(1) ptsd from last year around HH’s ability to make good decisions and not turn the ball over, and the idea of putting him in around the goal line where turnovers are especially frustrating

(2) a sense that most good CFB teams with good QBs don’t take their good QB off the field around the end zone to let their deeply flawed (as a QB) back up get 10-15 snaps per game

(3) backlash to the irrational love some people have for him since he’s from Nebraska

I will ultimately trust the coaches on this, but I do wonder about #2 - there are definitely examples (Tebow), but I don’t recall seeing a ton of coaches feeling the need to go this route.

I'm really not understanding the hate for HH in this thread. Do I want him as our QB? No. Raiola needs to stay healthy. Situationally does he have a place on the field for 10-15 snaps? Absolutely.

What if we have him in with Fidone and he's in the H-back or slot, we run a tunnel screen to Barney or Banks? Then we have plays built off of that where he's running free outside where he has to outrun an OLB that he is more than capable of?
I agree with you overall, I just don't like the 10-15. He might have 3-4 plays on the goaline...but they might actually do it 2 times a game. I don't think when they enter the low red zone, HH is automatically coming in to run his GL package. Now, if it develops into a, every time he comes in and we run Q power and we walk in from the 3. Then let's roll.

Re., 2. Most coaches don’t have the option but the ones that do, tend to use it. If their offense focuses on pocket passers, their backups also tend to be that. If their offense leans on athletic QBs then their starters can bring that skill set.

HH is not an actual runner. He showed zero ability to be an effective ballcarrier unless he was wide wide wide open.

He always hesitated right before contact and showed no vision.

Just no.
You need to go back and rewatch the first couple games HH started. He was trucking guys to the point he was starting to get himself hurt. That's when the switch flipped to him running less aggressively. It was actually a huge talking point at that time in the season, but apparently forgotten now. The guy can scoot.

I agree with you overall, I just don't like the 10-15. He might have 3-4 plays on the goaline...but they might actually do it 2 times a game. I don't think when they enter the low red zone, HH is automatically coming in to run his GL package. Now, if it develops into a, every time he comes in and we run Q power and we walk in from the 3. Then let's roll.
Agreed, Raiola will get his snaps there. But between being on the field WITH Raiola, some short yardage midfield, and some goalline stuff he could see 10-15 when you couple in his H-back/TE/Slot work. Could also see 3 snaps if there's no need and we are saving stuff.

People need to remember that the only way you keep Haarberg around for 2024 is by saying even if you don't win the starting QB job you still have a role and will play.. That was preached to him from the second Raiola signed because Nebraska didn't want to only have 2 scholarship QBs on the roster, and true freshmen at that.

Situationally he is better than any name anyone can throw out there for our offense. He can run better than Raiola, he can block better than Lloyd or Barney, he can throw better than the RBs. There's a place for him. What if NDSU has success with plays like this against Colorado? You doing this with Raiola or Haarberg?

It's not "hate" its wondering how people can talk themselves into believing that a change of position is going to magically grant him ball security super powers.

You need to go back and rewatch the first couple games HH started. He was trucking guys to the point he was starting to get himself hurt. That's when the switch flipped to him running less aggressively. It was actually a huge talking point at that time in the season, but apparently forgotten now. The guy can scoot.
He started running like he had a dildo inserted and keeping it inserted was his only concern.

I think people hate the concept for a couple reasons:

(1) ptsd from last year around HH’s ability to make good decisions and not turn the ball over, and the idea of putting him in around the goal line where turnovers are especially frustrating

(2) a sense that most good CFB teams with good QBs don’t take their good QB off the field around the end zone to let their deeply flawed (as a QB) back up get 10-15 snaps per game

(3) backlash to the irrational love some people have for him since he’s from Nebraska

I will ultimately trust the coaches on this, but I do wonder about #2 - there are definitely examples (Tebow), but I don’t recall seeing a ton of coaches feeling the need to go this route.
I'll just focus on #2, what about the other positions he could go in and play? He's not just going in at QB to get 10-15 snaps (if that happens).

But if that were to happen, Oklahoma took Landry Jones out all the time to let Blake Bell do some of what we are talking about and he was their leading QB in passing yards, passing TDs, and all-time winningest QB at the time not to mention guiding the Sooners to 2 conference titles.

HH is not an actual runner. He showed zero ability to be an effective ballcarrier unless he was wide wide wide open.

He always hesitated right before contact and showed no vision.

Just no.
That's simply wrong and not true.

But, for argument's sake, let's pretend it is true. Then we need to give our OL a hell of a lot more credit because they opened some "wide wide wide" holes for him to get nearly 500 yards last year...when everyone was loading the box and knew that we were running.

Which narrative do you prefer?

I'll just focus on #2, what about the other positions he could go in and play? He's not just going in at QB to get 10-15 snaps (if that happens).

But if that were to happen, Oklahoma took Landry Jones out all the time to let Blake Bell do some of what we are talking about and he was their leading QB in passing yards, passing TDs, and all-time winningest QB at the time not to mention guiding the Sooners to 2 conference titles.

To be clear, I didn’t say it’s unprecedented - Tebow at Florida as a freshman is another example - but it’s not at all common.

I also don’t think HH is Blake Bell or Tim Tebow.

To be clear, I didn’t say it’s unprecedented - Tebow at Florida as a freshman is another example - but it’s not at all common.

I also don’t think HH is Blake Bell or Tim Tebow.
Definitely not one of those two. I just think people need to be ready to see Haarberg out there in a variety of positions and not freak out. It's going to happen.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back