Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

End of Hoiberg era mirroring end of Miles era (3 Viewers)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
First off, major props to Hoiberg for doing what was necessary to change the program. It's remarkable what has happened since he turned over his staff. I was out the door after 2022, still felt last season he had to do something this season or we find someone else. Couldn't be more happier with what he's done.

As far as Miles leaving Fred nothing. It's true, it was bad. That has way more to deal with Moos leaving Miles high & dry with no public support for 15 months. Tim had some solid guys signed (Xavier Johnson, Dre Davis, one other I can't remember) that we lost plus returning Roby & Allen with Burke coming off a redshirt as transfers had to sit a year back then. Obviously Roby chose the NBA & Fred let Allen walk. And this doesn't touch us leading heavily for Chucky Hepburn, an outside shot at Sallis and he was in with Jason Green before anyone knew him. Matty A pissed all over all 3 prospects.

Yes, what was left sucked, but a lot of context is needed. Just another Bill Moos catastrophe.
I had forgotten most of that
This is good stuff

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Id rather just blame Matty A and call it a day.
This is where I'm at. Matty A was a cancer to the program. But...some of that blame has to go on Hoiberg as he saw fit to tie his entire program to Matty A running it.

The program has been cleansed though so we are all good now. This program is exactly all I would ever want from Nebrasketball. Even if we somehow got boned out of the NCAA tourney this yr.....I'm happy with the program.

This is all I'm asking for with Nebraska basketball:
  • NCAA tourney 2 out of every 5 yrs
  • Competitive games in JAN-FEB
  • Good home record
  • A couple marquee (upset) wins each yr
  • Don't embarrass us off the court (Matty A shit)
This should be relatively easy to do. I thought Miles would be able to do it, but he wasn't up to the task. I thought this would be easy for Hoiberg, but through 4 seasons it looked like he couldn't accomplish this either. But now he's doing it. I'm good w this level of success. I don't need anything more from Fred. He can have the job as long as he wants IMHO.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
I'll gladly eat crow after the last couple of my posts in this thread. Granted it was after the Rutgers game where we played charmin soft and it looked like Gary was out for the year. This team has toughen up since and played more physical which has led to better defense. That started with Allick playing more physical after Gary went down. Then getting Gary back and his energy is infectious and has led to better player. Also, can't forget Sam Hoiberg and the scrappiness he provides.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I'll gladly eat crow after the last couple of my posts in this thread. Granted it was after the Rutgers game where we played charmin soft and it looked like Gary was out for the year. This team has toughen up since and played more physical which has led to better defense. That started with Allick playing more physical after Gary went down. Then getting Gary back and his energy is infectious and has led to better player. Also, can't forget Sam Hoiberg and the scrappiness he provides.

Add to it dudes being dudes. Brice Williams was one heck of a find in the portal.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
Add to it dudes being dudes. Brice Williams was one heck of a find in the portal.

If I'm the Head Coach at Charlotte, I'm cussing the NCAA and NIL landscape right now. The 49ers won 23 games and the CBI last season. They still have a decent team this season at 17-10, but its going to be difficult to earn a tourney bid for them unless they win the CUSA tournament. The not only lost Brice Williams to transfer, but this freaky shooter also took a payday over to BYU:

Charlotte has lost 7 games by 5 points or less this season. If Brice Williams and Khalifa were still on their roster, they would probably have 24 or 25 wins by now and be a lock for the NCAA tournament.

SOHusker11

Cornerback
Elite Member
This loss felt similar to the game I called "ball game" on the Miles era: the non-con loss to Texas Tech (70-52 in KC). Cliffs notes version: NU hoops starting to gain hype, started 4-0, beat all 4 teams by 20 or more. TTU was starting to look good but was still unknown at the time. They did end up a #3 seed in the tourney but were unranked at this point. Cliffs: Nebraska had a 2nd half collapse, letting TTU do anything they wanted in last 10 min, and were lucky to only lose by 18.

95% of NU fans laughed it off as just one game. But I immediately said "this team is in deep trouble." NU went on to an absolutely pathetic 6-14 in the B1G that year and Miles was fired.

So I'm calling my shot now. This Minnesota loss is the end of the Hoiberg era. This team has zero heart, zero emotion and is not good enough when faced with decent opposition. My biggest surprise of that 2018-2019 season was how little the team fought for Miles when they knew he was coaching for his job. This squad is starting to look like that squad.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds