Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

End of Hoiberg era mirroring end of Miles era (3 Viewers)

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We’ll never do anything like this but I’d pay Danny Hurley $10M to be Nebrasketball’s coach
I would normally say "what a waste of $$$"....but honestly, watching Hoiberg try to figure this out is fuckin painful.

I think there's a decent chance that if we gave Hoiberg another 10 yrs, he wouldn't take us to the NCAA tourney one time in that 10 yrs.

I'm generally an "all $$$ go to football" guy....but Fred is testing my patience. I'm not sure I can do another 5 yrs of this.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
I would normally say "what a waste of $$$"....but honestly, watching Hoiberg try to figure this out is fuckin painful.

I think there's a decent chance that if we gave Hoiberg another 10 yrs, he wouldn't take us to the NCAA tourney one time in that 10 yrs.

I'm generally an "all $$$ go to football" guy....but Fred is testing my patience. I'm not sure I can do another 5 yrs of this.
It’s not even *that* much of their revenue to pay a hoops coach top dollar like that

They made $143M in 2022 and that’s going to surpass $200M with the new B1G tv deal in place and enhanced premium seating at Memorial. We’re talking 5% of athletics revenue to the men’s basketball coach in this scenario. Plus, salaries are often paid or greatly supplemented through private donor $. Ridiculous to put up with what we’ve put up with for so long and do nothing to change the level of monetary commitment behind it.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
I'm of the belief that a team adapts the personality of their head coach. When Gary got hurt the look on Fred's face said it all. It looked like he saw a ghost knowing that without him it hurts our chance of winning that game and any future games. Instead of rallying the players around that injury and saying lets go win this mother fucker for Gary, he just stood there in disbelief. When guys couldn't get a rebound or couldn't score, he didn't call a timeout to chew ass or to run a play, he sat there and took it.

Elite coaches like Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc., weren't afraid to chew ass when their teams were playing soft and you don't need to be an elite coach to get on your team when they aren't playing well. This team is good when making shots (shocker I know), but when the going gets tough, we fold. When the other team is playing more physical than us, we fold. Seems like Hoiberg is perfectly ok with letting it happen and collecting his nice paychecks.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I'm of the belief that a team adapts the personality of their head coach. When Gary got hurt the look on Fred's face said it all. It looked like he saw a ghost knowing that without him it hurts our chance of winning that game and any future games. Instead of rallying the players around that injury and saying lets go win this mother fucker for Gary, he just stood there in disbelief. When guys couldn't get a rebound or couldn't score, he didn't call a timeout to chew ass or to run a play, he sat there and took it.

Elite coaches like Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc., weren't afraid to chew ass when their teams were playing soft and you don't need to be an elite coach to get on your team when they aren't playing well. This team is good when making shots (shocker I know), but when the going gets tough, we fold. When the other team is playing more physical than us, we fold. Seems like Hoiberg is perfectly ok with letting it happen and collecting his nice paychecks.
Not disagreeing with you at all, but hasn't that always been his mantra? I feel like I've never really seen him do the ass-chewing, always seems to come from the assistants (in this case, Loenser, Howard, etc...).

I am disappointed that they didn't rally around Gary and win that one. I thought it was happening when Brice drilled the 3 the possession after... but that was short lived.

Osborne1992

Linebacker
Elite Member
Not disagreeing with you at all, but hasn't that always been his mantra? I feel like I've never really seen him do the ass-chewing, always seems to come from the assistants (in this case, Loenser, Howard, etc...).

I am disappointed that they didn't rally around Gary and win that one. I thought it was happening when Brice drilled the 3 the possession after... but that was short lived.
Right which kind of makes my point. The team mirrors the head coaches personality. Players know they aren't going to get chewed out and they know he won't take them out either because our depth sucks. Hoiberg can scheme up a good offense and as Matt Painter said "they run some good shit". But when the ball isn't going in, there is no mental toughness whatsoever on this team and I believe that stems from our head coach. When we couldn't score the ball, he didn't call a timeout and get us a basket. He sat there and took it and he also called one of the worst plays I've ever seen with 3 seconds left in the game. We don't have the athletes like he had on his good teams and that's also on him for recruiting to his scheme. Sadly it doesn't take an athlete to rebound. It takes effort and want to.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
I'm bumping this thread. But my intention is not to call out @HerbRedman. Instead, I wanted to have a real debate without starting a new thread.

I mean this with complete sincerity:

I seriously don't count the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons for Fred Hoiberg. Am I being irresponsible or logical? Here's why I want to bring up this debate:

1. Season 1 was always going to be dumpster fire for any Coach who took over Nebraska. Hell they could've hired Pitino and he would've struggled that season. Its beyond comical that he had to add two kids from the football team that wouldn't have started at Wayne State, just so they could have enough players at the Big Ten tournament.

2. Then the World changes during the 2020 postseason. Hell. the Sports World thought Fred Hoiberg was going to die and spread Zombie like symptoms to the rest of the Big Ten, thus wiping out the City of Chicago.

3. This meant recruiting and especially the transfer portal was almost completely wiped out in 2020.

4. The 2020-21 roster was a joke due to the pandemic and restrictions laid down. And many of those restrictions even halted Fred's ability to build something for the 21-22 season.

5. The man didn't get the chance to build a roster for legit 2nd season until the fall of 2021.

6. The first legitimate team the man could build didn't take the court officially until 2022-23.

7. Since that time, Hoiberg has gone 36-26, and he's primed for an NCAA tourney build.

At no time from the Spring of 2019 to the Summer of 2022 did Fred Hoiberg make a single excuse about the challenges he faced building a roster. When we look back at The Tim Miles and Doc Sadler tenures, there was never a time when either team made any type of a positive two year trajectory where you could legitimately see positive progression like what has been shown over the last 13 months.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I’m a Fred Hoiberg fan and I believe the past two seasons for him are more in line with what we can expect his teams at Nebraska to look like moving forward rather than the previous years.

If the argument is that he didn’t have the talent he wanted in any of the previous years, I’d disagree.

I don’t know what happened, but I do know that something positive did when Hoiberg retooled his staff and changed the type of player he targeted in recruiting and the transfer portal.

Sign me up for 2022-2024 Fred Hoiberg as I think this version of him is the best coach we’ve ever had here.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m a Fred Hoiberg fan and I believe the past two seasons for him are more in line with what we can expect his teams at Nebraska to look like moving forward rather than the previous years.

If the argument is that he didn’t have the talent he wanted in any of the previous years, I’d disagree.

I don’t know what happened, but I do know that something positive did when Hoiberg retooled his staff and changed the type of player he targeted in recruiting and the transfer portal.

Sign me up for 2022-2024 Fred Hoiberg as I think this version of him is the best coach we’ve ever had here.
This is your answer, and I seriously don't think it's much more complicated than that.

stonesak

Wave goodbye now, it's time for you to go
I'd also like to add Fred's demeanor never bothered me. Doubt any of us want him to keel over on the court. As long as we have assistants who can give ass chewings when needed, Fred can play the stoic, cerebral head guy all he wants. See also TO.

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
I'd also like to add Fred's demeanor never bothered me. Doubt any of us want him to keel over on the court. As long as we have assistants who can give ass chewings when needed, Fred can play the stoic, cerebral head guy all he wants. See also TO.
doesn’t he already have a pacemaker like me?

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Loenser fills that role, extremely well. He is very animated on the sidelines.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think Miles did, on the whole, a pretty good job as a HC but he doesn't get shit on enough for the talent cliff that he left in his last year on the job.

This is Miles last roster.

1000000786.png

I don't want to spoil it for folks, but Brady "Bustin" Heiman's appears to have fallen out of South Dakota's rotation, Harris ended his career averaging 1 points per game at GWU, and Allen, the foundational prospect, ended up at about 3.5 per game at NC State.

Hoiberg's 1st year returned somewhere around 2% of the production. Now that doesn't absolve Fred of the shit tier first 3 years, but the tourney birth this year definitely does

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
This is Miles last roster.

First off, major props to Hoiberg for doing what was necessary to change the program. It's remarkable what has happened since he turned over his staff. I was out the door after 2022, still felt last season he had to do something this season or we find someone else. Couldn't be more happier with what he's done.

As far as Miles leaving Fred nothing. It's true, it was bad. That has way more to deal with Moos leaving Miles high & dry with no public support for 15 months. Tim had some solid guys signed (Xavier Johnson, Dre Davis, one other I can't remember) that we lost plus returning Roby & Allen with Burke coming off a redshirt as transfers had to sit a year back then. Obviously Roby chose the NBA & Fred let Allen walk. And this doesn't touch us leading heavily for Chucky Hepburn, an outside shot at Sallis and he was in with Jason Green before anyone knew him. Matty A pissed all over all 3 prospects.

Yes, what was left sucked, but a lot of context is needed. Just another Bill Moos catastrophe.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds