Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Crap in your house least/most $ per "use". (3 Viewers)

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Not sure how to exactly phrase it, but when my wife brings up "wasting money" on shit I (we) buy, I always go to the cost per use. It's amazing the stuff we won't buy or do because it seems expensive, but then we waste money on this crap we use once or twice.

Example, our 3 year wanted a Power Wheels Jeep for Christmas. Of course the thing is pretty damn cool, but for a $400 price tag I shot it down knowing he'd use it a handful of time and cost us like $30-40 per use and take up a lot of space. Luckily I won that argument.

Most $ per use
- Basically every toy we have for the boys over $20. One day I ran through stuff we bought on Amazon and we averaged around $10-15 per use on their toys. Some were $40-50 per use.
- We bought an inflatable slide/bounce house during COVID in which cost us $60 each time we used it thus far (7 total times).
- Lots of clothes we buy, might wear a shirt or pants 2-3 times
- I have a couple pairs of shoes I bought online which I've worn once or twice, about $70 per use.
- Wife bought me a pair of Bose noise canceling ear buds, which I used twice in 2 years.
- Vegetable garden. We spent a couple hundred dollars in wood, dirt, fertilizers, bug sprays, tomato cages, plus countless hours for 1 summer of vegetables. I'm pretty sure those tomatoes cost us $30/pound.

Least $ per use
- Easily the least $ per use in our house is a can opener which is 20+ years old. Use it pretty much 3-5 times per week.
- Laundry basket I got in high school, not a single dent or crack in it after 24 years.
- Opposite of the Bose ear buds, my SoundPeats ear buds which I bough on Amazon for $28 on March 22, 2019. Over the last 4 years I bet I've worn them close to 1,000 times at the gym.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Most:

Wood Fired Ooni. Bought it in November, fucked up a handful of pizzas, and it's been too cold to use until about a week ago. Too much trouble to use during the week. It makes great za but I'd recommend the propane for convenience
Aime Leon Dore New Balance 1300s. Paid $190 and wore them once. Beautiful sneaker though
I paid $75 for Madden 22 when it released and played it once. Game glitched the first time I tried to play and haven't returned it

Least:

I got a $15 Moka Pot in college and I've used it almost every day for about ten years. Fucking love that thing.
In terms of expensive stuff I bought my wife a few le creuset pots and a skillet for our first christmas so we could replace our nonstick since they cause cancer. Probably about $750 for three pans pans and we've used at least once every day since.
We've had the same $60 dirt devil vacuum for almost a decade. It smells like shit and I want to get rid of it so bad but there isn't a more boring way to spend money

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Most $ per use:
Sadly, right now it's my camper, which I got to use ONCE last year. To be fair, we were tied up moving my 94-year old father in with us, prepping his lake home for sale, and getting it sold off last summer. Took a trip to the Lake of the Ozarks in October (got to burn a cigar with @MtnHusker and witness a Husker victory together), which we both really enjoyed. But ONE FUCKING TRIP? Cot dam.

Least $ per use:
Gotta be a tie for my Ninja coffee maker or blender/smoothie maker. Bought them both refurbished online, they've lasted years, and get used daily.

Honorable mention: My FlowBee (seriously). Bought that thing over 25 years ago and haven't paid for a haircut since. I've been through a half-dozen beard groomer and/or electric grooming kits in that time, and the Flowbee keeps on keeping on.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I wanted so badly to not put in a wooden swingset/playhouse for my girls. Wife told me that’s all she wanted for her own birthday. Caved and got a good one. My girls would literally live on that thing, so that has paid off. Girls bikes and powerwheels have paid off. My 3 year old was off training wheels 3 days after her 3rd birthday.

Inside toys have not paid off. Kids clothing has not paid off—3 year old has more clothing than me and wears about 3 things because she is a stubborn asshole.

My snowblower is expensive per use but a necessity. Fire pit out back has surprisingly not been used as often as it should.

I’m sure there are more examples.

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not sure how to exactly phrase it, but when my wife brings up "wasting money" on shit I (we) buy, I always go to the cost per use. It's amazing the stuff we won't buy or do because it seems expensive, but then we waste money on this crap we use once or twice.

Example, our 3 year wanted a Power Wheels Jeep for Christmas. Of course the thing is pretty damn cool, but for a $400 price tag I shot it down knowing he'd use it a handful of time and cost us like $30-40 per use and take up a lot of space. Luckily I won that argument.

Most $ per use
- Basically every toy we have for the boys over $20. One day I ran through stuff we bought on Amazon and we averaged around $10-15 per use on their toys. Some were $40-50 per use.
- We bought an inflatable slide/bounce house during COVID in which cost us $60 each time we used it thus far (7 total times).
- Lots of clothes we buy, might wear a shirt or pants 2-3 times
- I have a couple pairs of shoes I bought online which I've worn once or twice, about $70 per use.
- Wife bought me a pair of Bose noise canceling ear buds, which I used twice in 2 years.
- Vegetable garden. We spent a couple hundred dollars in wood, dirt, fertilizers, bug sprays, tomato cages, plus countless hours for 1 summer of vegetables. I'm pretty sure those tomatoes cost us $30/pound.

Least $ per use
- Easily the least $ per use in our house is a can opener which is 20+ years old. Use it pretty much 3-5 times per week.
- Laundry basket I got in high school, not a single dent or crack in it after 24 years.
- Opposite of the Bose ear buds, my SoundPeats ear buds which I bough on Amazon for $28 on March 22, 2019. Over the last 4 years I bet I've worn them close to 1,000 times at the gym.
That basket has to be a Rubbermade.
Can’t be that Stearlite garbage.

Toe

Wide Receiver
I paid $75 for Madden 22 when it released and played it once. Game glitched the first time I tried to play and haven't returned it

I got that free through Amazon Gaming, lol.

Sadly, right now it's my camper, which I got to use ONCE last year.
Most: Camper - $27,000 & have used it about 10 times

Campers and boats are pretty much hall of famers in this category. My neighbor has three boats that he can't get rid of.

Fire pit out back has surprisingly not been used as often as it should.

Amusingly enough, I actually just bought not one but two new fire pits! One a smokeless wood burner that probably won't be used much, the other a little gasser that I'm going to keep on my screened porch. They were both on clearance at Sam's Club, $80 for the wood burner and $60 for the gas pit.

doublewing

Running Back
Least: I have a $50 slow cooker that I bought in 2014. I use it about once a week. Easy to use, maintain, and easy way to cook food in bulk for leftovers throughout the week.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Most $ per use:
Sadly, right now it's my camper, which I got to use ONCE last year. To be fair, we were tied up moving my 94-year old father in with us, prepping his lake home for sale, and getting it sold off last summer. Took a trip to the Lake of the Ozarks in October (got to burn a cigar with @MtnHusker and witness a Husker victory together), which we both really enjoyed. But ONE FUCKING TRIP? Cot dam.

Least $ per use:
Gotta be a tie for my Ninja coffee maker or blender/smoothie maker. Bought them both refurbished online, they've lasted years, and get used daily.

Honorable mention: My FlowBee (seriously). Bought that thing over 25 years ago and haven't paid for a haircut since. I've been through a half-dozen beard groomer and/or electric grooming kits in that time, and the Flowbee keeps on keeping on.
RVs and boats have to be the worst.

We had a 5th wheel in Moab and my wife used it almost everyday for a year and a half though. We weren't able to find a place for her to live when she was working there.

We were lucky and able to sell it for a little more than we paid for it because the manager that took over for her couldn't find a place to live either. So it ended up being a win-win in the end.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Most: wife’s 2nd car- $23k 8 years ago, and put 10k miles on it.
Wife’s rowing machine- $3100 and maybe used it 30x.
A DU knife I bought at an auction while drunk- $129 and never been used.
Least- any booze I have ever purchased- I use the shit out of it.
Every car/truck I have ever owned. I limp them into the dealer after 10+ years.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds