Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

25% through the season analysis

Goskers07

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We are a quarter of the way through the season now. So look back and let's give some positives and negatives. What have you liked so far and what do you want to see fixed yet?

Positives:
- Raiola is as advertised
- O-Line improvement
- Scratching the surface on defense

Negative:
- Need to create more takeaways
- Need an alpha to step up at the offensive skill positions
- Still need a kicker

My only thing I feel like I was wrong on so far in expecting what to happen is that I expected more from jahmal banks.
This + @Goskers07 list.

Neyor is a little better than I expected though.

More impressed with Barney than expected and I had pretty high expectations.

Lloyd so far not as impactful as I'd hoped.

Defense about as expected.

Feel like Banks and Neyor will be more productive as the season progresses and Raiola gets more comfortable in the offense. He’s been checking it down at a clip I didn’t expect
Raiola is not afraid to throw deep. Problem is the WR's are not getting open or separation. Especially Banks. For me, the WR group has been the most disappointing. They aren't winning many 50/50 balls, not getting open, poor blocking.

2nd half of the game Saturday felt like the offense was throwing a bunch of different stuff out there for game reps and to add to Illinois’ prep load.

I think we’ll see a different offense in the second half Friday.

That said Banks has been underwhelming outside his TD week 1. Hope we see more Fidone downfield but TE play has been good.

My only thing I feel like I was wrong on so far in expecting what to happen is that I expected more from jahmal banks.
Raiola needs to stop trying to throw back shoulder every time he goes outside the #s to Banks
The balls Banks is getting have been ass.
Biggest concern (which is a somewhat surprise) is how much Raiola will under throw. All of Lloyd’s catches have been big adjustments on his part, eventually those are going to be awful looking interceptions
The best ball Lloyd has seen was an excellent throw but the DB made a great play to take it away & intercept it
Hoping we see better balls out of 15 when he has to move from the pocket & he stops all the back shoulder crap with Banks. Let the big guy go get it

2nd half adjustments on offense. 1st half scripted and after that is great. When the opponent shuts that down Satt does some weird shit and everyone seems lost. Also like to see some younger, faster guys emerge at wr, especially the slot.

Agree our receivers have not been winning jump balls as much as I thought they would. Lloyd could have made a better play on the interception, banks could have mossed that red zone ball in the end zone/sold the DPI, and neyor has not been competing on jump balls like someone his size should be.

Relative to my expectations:
Banks - downish in still pretty high on him overall
Neyor - probably even
Lloyd - down but I expected a lot
Bonner - probably even
Barney - way up
Nelson - way up
Fidone - down
Dowdell - up
RJ - up, finally
EJ - probably even I expected a lot from him
Gabe - I guess up he is still able to walk 3 games in

2nd half adjustments on offense. 1st half scripted and after that is great. When the opponent shuts that down Satt does some weird shit and everyone seems lost. Also like to see some younger faster guys emerge at wr, especially the slot.
I'm hoping it's just with these big leads they're thinking...let's run some plays for Banks, Heinrich, Fidone, etc. outside of the normal flow of the offense.

Agree our receivers have not been winning jump balls as much as I thought they would. Lloyd could have made a better play on the interception, banks could have mossed that red zone ball in the end zone/sold the DPI, and neyor has not been competing on jump balls like someone his size should be.

Relative to my expectations:
Banks - downish in still pretty high on him overall
Neyor - probably even
Lloyd - down but I expected a lot
Bonner - probably even
Barney - way up
Nelson - way up
Fidone - down
Dowdell - up
RJ - up, finally
EJ - probably even I expected a lot from him
Gabe - I guess up he is still able to walk 3 games in
I agree with a lot of this and my potential hawt take is that thus far, especially relative to preseason hype, our RBs have been outperforming our WRs by a decent margin.

Dowdell has exceeded expectations.

Raiola is about what I expected. Freshman phenom who will get better. He’s a freshman, making freshman mistakes…that are better than anything we’ve seen in years.

Defense is on track and will keep us in every game. Anyone wringing their hands about UNI needs to take a breather.

O-Line is capable and has taken a great step forward.

Neyor is a solid WR who’s done some nice things thus far.

Banks isn’t as bad as everyone wants to think. Not sure he’s had the best balls come his way. Can he be better, sure…but he’s not as bad as the heat he’s taking.

The way they have schemed Fidone seems more the problem than Fidone.

D-Line is fun to watch. Didn’t get home as much as I thought we would against UNI, and that’s ok…they were getting rid of the ball quickly. Will be keeping an eye on this as we roll into the B1G.

2nd half last night seemed like they were trying to put different looks on film for upcoming games. Run game was humming in the first half and went away from it for no apparent reason other than working in passing game ideas.

if Alvano can get right, we will be ok.

I know many seem to be wringing their hands, but so far so good and about what I’d hope for. Pleased with where we are. 8-4 still seems realistic for the season.

1st half offense so far been mostly efficient.
2nd half offense plays like they've just cut off their piss mid-stream.

Defense bends but hasnt broken much.
need to force more turnovers.

2nd half adjustments on offense. 1st half scripted and after that is great. When the opponent shuts that down Satt does some weird shit and everyone seems lost. Also like to see some younger, faster guys emerge at wr, especially the slot.
Kind of rhules game. Go back and look at Baylor 2019. Big lead first half- shorten game, don’t make mistakes and rely on D second half. If we win, who cares how it looks.

I also think Rhule geeks out on the recovery aspect of the game. The lower the snap count the better for him imo.

Last edited:
OOC is tough as an indicator in the Big10 sometimes.

Players get bigger, schemes get more predictable and harder to stop because you’re playing teams that just line up and do what they do and it’s on you to stop it.

I feel good from a physicality standpoint. I think our offense will do fine. Just depends if the team knows how to win close games now.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back