Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2021 Husker Baseball Thread (Big 10 Champions)

Here’s some more from The Braves perspective on Schwellenbach:

Spencer's gonna get paid, but it's too bad for him, the Braves, and the Huskers that he couldn't get some slider work with Childress for the 2022 season. That's a pretty dumb take by me, all things considered, but if he had a Joba/Watson'esque slider to go along with the other stuff, it would be awesome.

chris farley GIF

chris farley snl GIF

Spencer's gonna get paid, but it's too bad for him, the Braves, and the Huskers that he couldn't get some slider work with Childress for the 2022 season. That's a pretty dumb take by me, all things considered, but if he had a Joba/Watson'esque slider to go along with the other stuff, it would be awesome.

chris farley GIF

chris farley snl GIF

Looking at how the Braves drafted before and after Schwelly, I think he’s gonna get well over slot. 1.6 to 1.8 million is guess.

While I like Matt Powers a lot when it comes to prospects and I think he’s one of the best in the business at it, I think he’s wrong on this one. The benefit of seeing basically every pitch he’s thrown, Spencer’s slider has high end upside as it was his wipe out pitch at times. When he spins good ones, They’re really fuckin good. He’s only gonna get better as he focuses on pitching only.

Stretching him out to be able to go 80-100 pitches shouldn’t be as hard as Matt is saying here.

Here is from a Prospect Guru that I follow named David Lee. What this all means is that Schwelly is going to get paid well over slot. I’d project he gets 2 million up from my original projection of 1.6-1.8. His slot, if I recall correctly, was about 1.2.

“Draft signings update

As of Monday morning, the Braves have signed six of their 20 draft picks, all below slot or at the normal amount post-10th round.

The highest pick to sign so far is third-round left-hander Dylan Dodd, who inked for $122.5K, well below the $604.8K slot as expected. The next highest is fifth-rounder Luke Waddell out of Georgia Tech. He signed for $247.5K, below the $333.3K slot.

The Braves created a huge savings in the ninth round with college catcher Liam McGill, who signed for $7.5K with a slot of $151.3K. The 10th-round selection was similar as Dylan Spain signed for $17.5K.

Andrew Hoffmann, an intriguing 12th-round selection out of Illinois, signed for $125K. Adam Zebrowski, a mashing catcher from the 13th round, signed for the same amount.

These below-slot deals will help create the bonus pool savings necessary to go over slot on higher-upside picks like Adam Shoemaker, A.J. Smith-Shawver and Tyler Collins.

You can find my pick-by-pick observations of the Braves draft here, here and here.”

Nebraska junior Spencer Schwellenbach has signed his professional contract with the Atlanta Braves, according to MLB.com's Jim Callis.

Per the report, Schwellenbach signed with the Braves for $1 million, which is slightly less than the $1,185,500 that was slotted for the No. 59 overall pick where Schwellenbach was drafted.

Schwellenbach was named the 2021 John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year after hitting .284 with six homers and 40 RBIs at shortstop, while also going 3-1 with 10 saves and a 0.57 ERA in 31.2 innings of work.

Tabbed an All-American by five different publications in 2021, including a first-team pick by D1Baseball and ABCA/Rawlings, Schwellenbach ranked in the top 10 in the Big Ten in runs, RBIs and walks, while in the field he committed just four errors in 186 chances. He made his debut on the mound in 2021, and led the Big Ten with 10 saves and did not allow a run in 17 of his 18 appearances.

He fanned 34 in 31.2 innings and held opposing hitters to a .198 average. His last appearance on the mound was a season-high 4.2-inning shutout relief appearances in the NCAA Tournament over then No. 1 Arkansas on June 6.

Schwellenbach and Cade Povich became the first Husker players to be selected in the first 10 rounds of the draft since Scott Schreiber was drafted in 2018 draft.

Nebraska junior Spencer Schwellenbach has signed his professional contract with the Atlanta Braves, according to MLB.com's Jim Callis.

Per the report, Schwellenbach signed with the Braves for $1 million, which is slightly less than the $1,185,500 that was slotted for the No. 59 overall pick where Schwellenbach was drafted.

Schwellenbach was named the 2021 John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year after hitting .284 with six homers and 40 RBIs at shortstop, while also going 3-1 with 10 saves and a 0.57 ERA in 31.2 innings of work.

Tabbed an All-American by five different publications in 2021, including a first-team pick by D1Baseball and ABCA/Rawlings, Schwellenbach ranked in the top 10 in the Big Ten in runs, RBIs and walks, while in the field he committed just four errors in 186 chances. He made his debut on the mound in 2021, and led the Big Ten with 10 saves and did not allow a run in 17 of his 18 appearances.

He fanned 34 in 31.2 innings and held opposing hitters to a .198 average. His last appearance on the mound was a season-high 4.2-inning shutout relief appearances in the NCAA Tournament over then No. 1 Arkansas on June 6.

Schwellenbach and Cade Povich became the first Husker players to be selected in the first 10 rounds of the draft since Scott Schreiber was drafted in 2018 draft.

Im actually shocked they got it done for 1 million. I was way wrong. Very interested in why the Braves have skimped so hard on signing bonuses.

Lance Harvell's twitter suggests that something good just happened

New transfer I assume

Could also be that Hallmark is coming back

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back