Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Yard Moles-need advice (4 Viewers)

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Out neighborhood is lousy with moles. A couple doors down in both directions there are essentially no yards to speak of because they are just noticeable tunnels.
If you have ever watched as a mole tunnels, the worms scatter like crazy, and will breach the surface trying to escape. If I see a fresh tunnel with no current movement, I water that area, and usually within 10 minutes of turning on the water, there is movement. Then I get my pitchfork out, and the mole is gone.
I have dispatched 6 this year, and my dog has gotten 8. Mid morning 9-11 and mid evening seem to be the best times.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Out neighborhood is lousy with moles. A couple doors down in both directions there are essentially no yards to speak of because they are just noticeable tunnels.
If you have ever watched as a mole tunnels, the worms scatter like crazy, and will breach the surface trying to escape. If I see a fresh tunnel with no current movement, I water that area, and usually within 10 minutes of turning on the water, there is movement. Then I get my pitchfork out, and the mole is gone.
I have dispatched 6 this year, and my dog has gotten 8. Mid morning 9-11 and mid evening seem to be the best times.
Any solutions you might advise? Currently looking at traps. Home Depot/Lowes'/Amazon has a "scissor trap".

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Any solutions you might advise? Currently looking at traps. Home Depot/Lowes'/Amazon has a "scissor trap".
I use a pitchfork, and only when there is a fresh tunnel. I tamp down the tunnel, water it and then wait. I had limited success with traps and poison, although it is fun using the smoke bombs. I like to see that it is dead, so I take them out of the ground with the pitchfork

TrentMilfer

Horny Walk-on
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Needed this thread. I have had the same issue. My neighbor told me to stick Juicy Fruit in the holes but that didnt work. @dsbigred1 might be a pro mole killer it sounds like. I only have 1 noteworthy kill.

Last summer I ran over a tunnel with my mower and kicked enough dirt up that I saw one. Grabbed it by its tail and executed it. Felt great but I have a big yard and lots of tunnels

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I use a pitchfork, and only when there is a fresh tunnel. I tamp down the tunnel, water it and then wait. I had limited success with traps and poison, although it is fun using the smoke bombs. I like to see that it is dead, so I take them out of the ground with the pitchfork
Would be really satisfying to see this bastard dead at this point. I'll look into it, thanks boss

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Needed this thread. I have had the same issue. My neighbor told me to stick Juicy Fruit in the holes but that didnt work. @dsbigred1 might be a pro mole killer it sounds like. I only have 1 noteworthy kill.

Last summer I ran over a tunnel with my mower and kicked enough dirt up that I saw one. Grabbed it by its tail and executed it. Felt great but I have a big yard and lots of tunnels
I have gotten on average around 5 a year the last few years. Dog got more than 15 just last year, but he destroys the yard to do it.
I have put down all kinds of grub killer, but they eat more than just grubs. And since the neighbors don’t do a damn thing about them, they keep coming.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I have gotten on average around 5 a year the last few years. Dog got more than 15 just last year, but he destroys the yard to do it.
I have put down all kinds of grub killer, but they eat more than just grubs. And since the neighbors don’t do a damn thing about them, they keep coming.
Mine is starting to make its way past the backyard fence and my wife's dog LOVES to dig and eat the shit out of rodents. Waiting for the day that mole pokes its head outta the hole at the wrong time and both dogs have at it.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Mine is starting to make its way past the backyard fence and my wife's dog LOVES to dig and eat the shit out of rodents. Waiting for the day that mole pokes its head outta the hole at the wrong time and both dogs have at it.
I am glad he gets them, but I’d rather get it myself and not have to go through the process of filling holes and patching those spots because they will be nothing but weeds during the summer

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I am glad he gets them, but I’d rather get it myself and not have to go through the process of filling holes and patching those spots because they will be nothing but weeds during the summer
Yep, that's why I'm trying to get him. I can see the tunnels and feel them with my feet, he's just avoiding the poison peanuts I've put down.

TrentMilfer

Horny Walk-on
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Love it. Any suggestions on a grub killer?

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Love it. Any suggestions on a grub killer?
I’ve tried several. None have been great, but my issue is likely more my neighbors and having woods behind the house. Haven’t had great success with any because of that so someone else would probably be better on that front. I apply a few times a year and still have issues

Husker Priapism

Linebacker
tPB OG
Insert hose in the hole. Turn water on. When they dig out to the surface….. smash

My old man had a pitchfork, and when he would see the ground moving, he would go to town. Worked really well with gophers.

Last edited:

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Buy some wolf piss online and pour some of that near the holes. If you don't want to buy wolf piss online, start making your dog pee in the area. If you do buy wolf piss online, make sure it's from a reputable dealer.
FWIW I have a good wolf piss guy

It's me, I own a pack of wolves

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds