Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Wilhite On Burrows Recruitment (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It also says recruiting rankings also have plenty of politics in it if he was a top 250 player.
I don't doubt politics are involved, but Dillman had the classic huge sophomore year and got rated highly and then just wasn't good at football/had a series of eligibility misadventures which resulted in him plummeting, at least on rivals.

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
I don't doubt politics are involved, but Dillman had the classic huge sophomore year and got rated highly and then just wasn't good at football/had a series of eligibility misadventures which resulted in him plummeting, at least on rivals.

I assume the same Kevin Dillman. If you live in North Texas, give him a call!

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
Frost making the "is he better than what we've got" statement is a microcosm of his time at NU.
Not to defend Frost, but the way I understand it was a legit question, not a statement. At that point Burrow was a career backup, playing only garbage time at OSU. No one knew he was a future Heisman winner and No. 1 pick. Ohio State sure didn’t.
We did have something pretty special in a freshman 2AM. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for Frost to ask if this OSU backup was better than Martinez.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
This has nothing to do with Dillman but I’ve heard where a player blows off the recruiting guys they magically go down in the rankings. If the player gives the recruiting guys a lot of love they tend to get a bump a lot of times. I don’t even follow it nearly as close as I use to because I’ve came accustomed to Nebraska putting together a top class in the west only to suck anyways.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Not to defend Frost, but the way I understand it was a legit question, not a statement. At that point Burrow was a career backup, playing only garbage time at OSU. No one knew he was a future Heisman winner and No. 1 pick. Ohio State sure didn’t.
We did have something pretty special in a freshman 2AM. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for Frost to ask if this OSU backup was better than Martinez.
Burrow transferred before the 2018 season, meaning Frost made that decision before AM had ever taken a snap. at that time he was just a HS recruit who missed his entire senior season to injury

Burrow had been ranked fairly highly as a recruit

nja13

Elite Member
Burrow transferred before the 2018 season, meaning Frost made that decision before AM had ever taken a snap. at that time he was just a HS recruit who missed his entire senior season to injury

Burrow had been ranked fairly highly as a recruit
Joe Burrow was a middling 3-star recruit. A 5.6 on Rivals, unranked nationally, the No. 24 dual threat QB. He met no definition of a "ranking fairly high" as a recruit.

Adrian Martinez was at Nebraska for 2018 spring practice, so Frost would have been very familiar with his capabilities first hand by the time Burrow entered the portal in May 2018. 2AM wasn't "just a HS recruit" at that time. Frost had seen him take plenty of snaps up close and personal all spring.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This has nothing to do with Dillman but I’ve heard where a player blows off the recruiting guys they magically go down in the rankings. If the player gives the recruiting guys a lot of love they tend to get a bump a lot of times. I don’t even follow it nearly as close as I use to because I’ve came accustomed to Nebraska putting together a top class in the west only to suck anyways.
I beleee dat

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Joe Burrow was a middling 3-star recruit. A 5.6 on Rivals, unranked nationally, the No. 24 dual threat QB. He met no definition of a "ranking fairly high" as a recruit.

Adrian Martinez was at Nebraska for 2018 spring practice, so Frost would have been very familiar with his capabilities first hand by the time Burrow entered the portal in May 2018. 2AM wasn't "just a HS recruit" at that time. Frost had seen him take plenty of snaps up close and personal all spring.
We should be happy Frost passed him up. Going to LSU was the best thing for him. Plus Burrow probably would have bought Frost another year or two and prolonged our misery.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

I mean people around Ohio State's program thought Burrow beat Haskins out for the job. What he was rated in high school isn't super relevant for that.

nja13

Elite Member
I mean people around Ohio State's program thought Burrow beat Haskins out for the job. What he was rated in high school isn't super relevant for that.
Understood. I was specifically responding to the person who said he was fairly highly rated out of high school.

And if you're considering taking a transfer who has never really played in college, high high school rating is somewhat - though not super - relevant. It gives you an idea of his talent and athleticism.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Understood. I was specifically responding to the person who said he was fairly highly rated out of high school.

And if you're considering taking a transfer who has never really played in college, high high school rating is somewhat - though not super - relevant. It gives you an idea of his talent and athleticism.
Except Burrows was projected to be the starter over Haskins and other highly rated QB's until he was injured. If he is good enough to start over OSU's QB Room then that shows his talent and play. Plus Martinez was coming off of a major shoulder injury and to this day he hasn't made it through a season without missing games due to injury since his Sophomore year of high school.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Except Burrows was projected to be the starter over Haskins and other highly rated QB's until he was injured. If he is good enough to start over OSU's QB Room then that shows his talent and play. Plus Martinez was coming off of a major shoulder injury and to this day he hasn't made it through a season without missing games due to injury since his Sophomore year of high school.
I don’t remember Burrows ever going to be the starter for sure. I know he had a good spring. It seemed like Urb’s offensive staff dropped the ball there to a degree overlooking him while on the roster.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don’t remember Burrows ever going to be the starter for sure. I know he had a good spring. It seemed like Urb’s offensive staff dropped the ball there to a degree overlooking him while on the roster.
You might be right on the Starter bit. I can't stand OSU and really don't follow them. I do remember Joe was battling Haskins for either back up or starter and appeared to be ahead until he broke his hand. Some of the Ohio St players use to joke with Justin Fields that he got lucky Burrows broke his hand or Fields wouldn't have started at OSU.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
You might be right on the Starter bit. I can't stand OSU and really don't follow them. I do remember Joe was battling Haskins for either back up or starter and appeared to be ahead until he broke his hand. Some of the Ohio St players use to joke with Justin Fields that he got lucky Burrows broke his hand or Fields wouldn't have started at OSU.
The broken hand happened prior to when Haskins battled Burrow in the spring game. Burrow out played him in the spring but the OSU staff pretty much made up their mind Haskins was the man going into fall, so after spring ball Burrow let them know he was transferring giving Frost the first shot.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The broken hand happened prior to when Haskins battled Burrow in the spring game. Burrow out played him in the spring but the OSU staff pretty much made up their mind Haskins was the man going into fall, so after spring ball Burrow let them know he was transferring giving Frost the first shot.
I just started seeing what I could find. Found this one:

https://www.Tater Island.com/teams/...lsu-ohio-state-broken-hand-buckeyes-football/
article link

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds