Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Wilhite On Burrows Recruitment (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Could be. If he'd come here he wouldn't have a natty and probably wouldn't be getting ready to kick the Chiefs ass this weekend. So it did work out in his favor.
We probably would have been better and that's just me rationalizing it. One thing I noticed this year was that lots of first year coaches who hit the ground running didn't leave it to chance and went out and got a dude they were 90+% sure could play

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We probably would have been better and that's just me rationalizing it. One thing I noticed this year was that lots of first year coaches who hit the ground running didn't leave it to chance and went out and got a dude they were 90+% sure could play
I continue to be more pissed at Pelini/Beck over the Burrow fiasco than I am at Scorch. I'm not sure if it's even in my top 5 w Scorch. It really amazes me how Pelini has skated through this whole thing with almost zero criticism. ESPECIALLY when you see how Pelini almost chronically underrated any local recruit (Noah Fant anyone?). If you were local or had Nebraska ties, Pelini just kind of assumed that you sucked. He was a total Ohio St blowhard in that respect.

Last edited:

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I continue to be more pissed at Pelini/Beck over the Burrow fiasco than I am at Scorch. I'm not sure if it's even in my top 5 w Scorch. It really amazes me how Pelini has skated through this whole thing with almost zero criticism. ESPECIALLY when you see how Pelini almost chronically underrated any local recruit (Noah Gant anyone?). If you were local or had Nebraska ties, Pelini just kind of assumed that you sucked. He was a total Ohio St blowhard in that respect.

Bo and Beck were so fucking stupid and lazy about some things and generally I place recruiting at the top of that list. If Bo and his crew had been able to recruit he wouldn't have gotten fired for being a complete asshole ego maniac. Instead he would be considered "fiery"

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I guess I just take solace in the fact that Scrote was such a colossal fuck up that it probably wouldn't have made a difference
One other thing...

RE: the Adrian vs OSU-Burrow discussion. I can see how Frost fell for the Adrian HS hype. And the Adrian practice player hype. The guy must look like Mahomes in practice. He fooled a lot of people.

Chris Klieman also fell for it. Klieman had a better QB on his roster in Will Howard and he STILL stuck with Adrian. Even after Adrian bombed out in a home loss to Tulane, Klieman STILL stuck with him.

I don't exonerate Frost at all... just interesting that a very intelligent coach like Klieman was also fooled/seduced by Adrian's All-Pro practice sessions.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I continue to be more pissed at Pelini/Beck over the Burrow fiasco than I am at Scorch. I'm not sure if it's even in my top 5 w Scorch. It really amazes me how Pelini has skated through this whole thing with almost zero criticism. ESPECIALLY when you see how Pelini almost chronically underrated any local recruit (Noah Gant anyone?). If you were local or had Nebraska ties, Pelini just kind of assumed that you sucked. He was a total Ohio St blowhard in that respect.

Bo and Beck were so fucking stupid and lazy about some things and generally I place recruiting at the top of that list. If Bo and his crew had been able to recruit he wouldn't have gotten fired for being a complete asshole ego maniac. Instead he would be considered "fiery"

It is revisionist history when people talk about Pelini being good here. The big ten west was very close to being the worst division in football during his time and his program was about to crater.

Let’s all remember him and Tim Beck were prepared to sign Kevin Dillman as their Qb for that class after basically telling Burrow to fuck off.

Last edited:

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
One other thing...

RE: the Adrian vs OSU-Burrow discussion. I can see how Frost fell for the Adrian HS hype. And the Adrian practice player hype. The guy must look like Mahomes in practice. He fooled a lot of people.

Chris Klieman also fell for it. Klieman had a better QB on his roster in Will Howard and he STILL stuck with Adrian. Even after Adrian bombed out in a home loss to Tulane, Klieman STILL stuck with him.

I don't exonerate Frost at all... just interesting that a very intelligent coach like Klieman was also fooled/seduced by Adrian's All-Pro practice sessions.
It's true that AM has all the physical tools and a good coach has to see that and think "I can coach him up" Clearly he can't be coached up but its easy to see why coaches got it wrong.

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
It is revisionist history when people talk about Pelini being good here. The big ten west was very close to being the worst division in football during his time and his program was about to crater.

Let’s all remember him and Tim Beck we’re prepared to sign Kevin Dillman as their Qb for that class after basically telling Burrow to fuck off.
That's more of a support for my premise than it is a knock. Don't forget how good the defense was when filled with NFL future players. It's not revisionist to say that Bo did have pretty good teams when the talent was there. Offering Dillman is the epitome of stupid and lazy.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
That's more of a support for my premise than it is a knock. Don't forget how good the defense was when filled with NFL future players. It's not revisionist to say that Bo did have pretty good teams when the talent was there. Offering Dillman is the epitome of stupid and lazy.

I was agreeing more than anything with you.

Where I’d probably slightly disagree though is that I don’t think Pelini lost the games he lost (Wisconsin every year and one other game we had no business losing) because of talent.

But we are kind of splitting hairs at that point.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I continue to be more pissed at Pelini/Beck over the Burrow fiasco than I am at Scorch. I'm not sure if it's even in my top 5 w Scorch. It really amazes me how Pelini has skated through this whole thing with almost zero criticism. ESPECIALLY when you see how Pelini almost chronically underrated any local recruit (Noah Fant anyone?). If you were local or had Nebraska ties, Pelini just kind of assumed that you sucked. He was a total Ohio St blowhard in that respect.
If Nebraska would have had a bag man or had NIL with Bo, Burrow wouldn’t have mattered. Lamar Jackson would have been just fine. Lamar would have probably saved Bo’s job.

Herbie

Quarterback
With Pelini I don’t think he wanted to be at Nebraska long term. Once the big game L’s started to rack up and never getting over the jump was there. He got into fuck it mode and became lazy(er) in recruiting. Realization he’d probably never leave Nebraska. Fan pressure. Ad pressure. Was all a bad combo

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG

Let’s all remember him and Tim Beck we’re prepared to sign Kevin Dillman as their Qb for that class after basically telling Burrow to fuck off.
It’s no worse than Frost signing Haarberg.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds