Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Wilhite On Burrows Recruitment (2 Viewers)

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I was agreeing more than anything with you.

Where I’d probably slightly disagree though is that I don’t think Pelini lost the games he lost (Wisconsin every year and one other game we had no business losing) because of talent.

But we are kind of splitting hairs at that point.
Agree because #2 on my stupid and lazy list is game planning, particularly on defense

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
With Pelini I don’t think he wanted to be at Nebraska long term. Once the big game L’s started to rack up and never getting over the jump was there. He got into fuck it mode and became lazy(er) in recruiting. Realization he’d probably never leave Nebraska. Fan pressure. Ad pressure. Was all a bad combo
I think it went downhill after the A$M game. He was pissed at Harvey and Harvey sealed the deal hiring Eichorst. The best thing we have going now is that it seems like Turd and Rhule value the same core beliefs which is big.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Some people actually wanted Haarberg as a qb.
No one wanted Dillon at anything
Anyone who saw him play knew he sucked. I never heard one football guy in the Kearney area say he should be going to Nebraska as a qb. The kid wasn’t that good playing shitty competition.

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Anyone who saw him play knew he sucked. I never heard one football guy in the Kearney area say he should be going to Nebraska as a qb. The kid wasn’t that good playing shitty competition.
But but the Cockeyes offered him

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
But but the Cockeyes offered him
Yea that reinforces why he shouldn’t have been offered. He is similar to Dillman because both staffs were banking on their athletic ability. It’s been tiresome not trying to recruit legit qbs on a yearly basis at Nebraska through the years. We have recruited way too many projects or run first qbs.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
It’s no worse than Frost signing Haarberg.

Having a legacy in Joe Burrow on campus ready to commit to you if you just give him the time of day only to pass on him to sign a JV tight end as your QB in the class isn’t worse than signing an in-state QB who had other P5 QB offers during a Covid year in which no in person evals were able to be conducted after a few QBs passed on our offer.

Have I stated your position accurately?

Last edited:

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Having legacy in Joe Burrow on campus ready to commit to you if you just give him the time of day only to pass on him to sign a JV tight end as your QB in the class isn’t worse than signing an in-state QB who had other P5 QB offers during a Covid year in which no in person evals were able to be conducted after a few QBs passed on our offer.

Have I stated your position accurately?
Their main point in the thread was if Pelini got Lamar Burrow never matters. Burrow and Jackson were the same year weren’t they? Maybe I have that wrong. My other point is Dillman and Haarberg both sucked equally. Since Pelini lost Lamar he should have circled back to Burrow for sure. That isn’t debatable assuming I’m right that both were in the same recruiting cycle.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Their main point in the thread was if Pelini got Lamar Burrow never matters. Burrow and Jackson were the same year weren’t they? Maybe I have that wrong. My other point is Dillman and Haarberg both sucked equally. Since Pelini lost Lamar he should have circled back to Burrow for sure. That isn’t debatable assuming I’m right that both were in the same recruiting cycle.

It’s not debatable that if Pelini gets Lamar Burrow doesn’t matter.

It’s also not debatable he could have likely gotten a commitment from Burrow while he waited for Lamar.

The above if we end the conversations with those points are totally agreeable and grounded.

The odd part here is that you’re mentioning Haarberg. The situations aren’t comparable at all.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s not debatable that if Pelini gets Lamar Burrow doesn’t matter.

It’s also not debatable he could have likely gotten a commitment from Burrow while he waited for Lamar.

The above if we end the conversations with those points are totally agreeable and grounded.

The odd part here is that you’re mentioning Haarberg. The situations aren’t comparable at all.
Haarberg and Dillman were very similar in that they were projects who were athletic. Neither were D l qbs. Pelini and Frost should have never offered either. Both coaches-staffs had issues evaluating qbs.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Haarberg and Dillman were very similar in that they were projects who were athletic. Neither were D l qbs. Pelini and Frost should have never offered either. Both coaches-staffs had issues evaluating qbs.

I’m not going to say both staffs didn’t have their issues with QBs.

What I’m saying is passing on Joe Burrow under the circumstances Bo did is much worse of an offense than Frost signing Haarberg.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Dillman was coming off an injury and transferred to Denton-Guyer from California where he was ineligible to play varsity football his senior year due to their transfer rules. He played tight end at the JV level.

Bo and Beck PASSED on Joe Burrow who was on campus unofficially and would have committed on the spot had he been offered to take Dillman.

Frost struck out on other QBs and took Haarberg sight unseen given in person evaluations couldn’t be conducted.
Bo told the first overall pick to kick rocks to take a kid who played JV TE. Frost was scrambling during Covid and took an in-state kid with other P5 QB offers.
If you want to give your boy Frost another pass go ahead. Haarberg was never worthy of a scholarship. People at Kearney Catholic could have told you that. The one thing that isn’t debatable is that Pelini should have definitely offered Joe and many others over Dillman after Lamar said no.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's true that AM has all the physical tools and a good coach has to see that and think "I can coach him up" Clearly he can't be coached up but its easy to see why coaches got it wrong.
The amazing thing with Adrian/KSU is that after the horrendous Tulane loss (which was almost all Adrian's fault), the entire KSU fanbase turned on AM. "Nebraska fans were right about Adrian" and on and on. I figured Adrian was done for.. yet Klieman went right back to him the next week.

I actually thought Adrian was gonna be Klieman's Kevin Cosgrove this year. Like, let's sit back and watch this HC tank his entire season due to loyalty to one guy. Thankfully for Klieman, Adrian kept getting injured so that kind of made his decision for him. But I watched every KSU game this year and it looked pretty evident to me that Klieman was prepared to ride the Adrian train to a 6-6 record.

I lose zero sleep over Frost passing on Burrow because I know with 100% certainty that Frost would have fucked that situation up. And I bet that Burrow would have had to transfer a 2nd time if he came to NU that year. I don't think it even cracks the top 10 of things I'm pissed at Frost about.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
If you want to give your boy Frost another pass go ahead. Haarberg was never worthy of a scholarship. People at Kearney Catholic could have told you that. The one thing that isn’t debatable is that Pelini should have definitely offered Joe and many others over Dillman after Lamar said no.

You somehow bringing Haarberg into this discussion is probably the oddest thing I’ve seen on the board in some time.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
RE: the Adrian vs OSU-Burrow discussion. I can see how Frost fell for the Adrian HS hype. And the Adrian practice player hype. The guy must look like Mahomes in practice. He fooled a lot of people
Hell, Adrian looked like Mahomes his whole freshman year. I was pinching myself thinking we had a legit 5-star talent and thanking his senior year HS injury for giving us a chance at him. There was a reason he was one of the Heisman favorites going into his sophomore year. Then that second season started and I was like, this ain’t the same guy.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Hell, Adrian looked like Mahomes his whole freshman year. I was pinching myself thinking we had a legit 5-star talent and thanking his senior year HS injury for giving us a chance at him. There was a reason he was one of the Heisman favorites going into his sophomore year. Then that second season started and I was like, this ain’t the same guy.

The moment he was met with expectations he was garbage.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Then that second season started and I was like, this ain’t the same guy.
The moment he was met with expectations he was garbage.
That 2019 opener has to go down as one of the worst regressions of a top player we've ever had.

I missed the game live but I remember all of my non-football following relatives going "Adrian looks bigger and slower." I finally get to the game tape and sure enough, they were right. Deep down every Husker fan knew we were fucked at that point - only question was how long you were going keep up your denial about it.

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Frost would have fucked up Burrow, so it was a blessing in disguise that he went to LSU. Hadn't heard the Lamar story before so that was pretty interesting .. If I remember right, Louisville also gave a dump truck of money to Dez Fitzpatrick that flipped him at the last minute .. so the Lamar story doesn't surprise me in the least.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds