Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking We have our coach! (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
If it isn't Mickey (hopefully) the logistics of announcing is interesting to me. Do you get the name out ASAP in hopes you can get some croots and transfers excited or do you let Mickey lose a few more games and then announce so you quell the mongos and don't distract a team that still (only theoretically) has everything to play for?
USC did it best last year. The day after the last game of the year but before the conference championship game. Of course they would have had to wait another week if OU wins that game v OK St.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
USC did it best last year. The day after the last game of the year but before the conference championship game. Of course they would have had to wait another week if OU wins that game v OK St.
I think I'm mostly expecting a Saturday morning announcement with Sunday presser like it's been done in the past, iirc, especially if you've got a big splash hire that can be all over Saturdays football broadcasts

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
This is where I'm different, and why I'd be all in on Urbz. I don't care if they're only here 3-4 years, as long as they fix it, and leave it better for the next guy. I think priority one should be getting back to competing for the West and winning the West. If the guy hired doesn't have that ceiling, I don't care, I want suckatude fucking gone first.
I am 100% here.... If we hire Urban and he is here for 3 years, but has....
  • Elite coaches and likely a coach in waiting
  • A roster that is loaded
  • Sluts
  • The program is winning
If he leaves after 3 years I am 100% fine with it. I would like him to stay, but if he got the program in the right direction and won I would be very happy.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Did you know that you can't officially name a coach "head coach in waiting"

If you do that they are beholden to the same visitation rules as the head coach. In other words they can't visit a recruit's home more than once. Thought that was interesting.
Didn't know that.... That is very interesting...

I was more referencing a Ryan Day situation by my comment FWIW

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Didn't know that.... That is very interesting...

I was more referencing a Ryan Day situation by my comment FWIW
Yeah I got ya. But I think the rule came along when Muschamp was the "Head coach in waiting" at Texas

So instead what you do if you have a head coach in waiting is what Bob Stoops did. Wait until after the spring evaluation period ends so you're new head coach can go out and visit recruits...then retire and let him take over.

Last edited:

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Urbs isn’t happening. I’ll grow another dick before that happens.
0-1 GIF by Aluron CMC Warta Zawiercie

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Did you know that you can't officially name a coach "head coach in waiting"

If you do that they are beholden to the same visitation rules as the head coach. In other words they can't visit a recruit's home more than once. Thought that was interesting.
I think that is good to protect schools from themselves. Almost no HCIW situation has turned out well. Ask former Texas HC Will Muschamp

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If it is Petersen I think you announce it on a Friday Evening or Saturday Morning so you get the big Media Push during the football weekend. Also I would think they would do something like what OSU did when they hired Urban Meyer. Have the current Interim Coach continue to run the team but have the new coach around the players plus focusing on recruiting and assembling a top notch coaching staff. At this point it doesn't really matter if we win 4 or 5 games as we are building for the future.

Lfbd

Bench Warmer
Have the current Interim Coach continue to run the team but have the new coach around the players plus focusing on recruiting and assembling a top notch coaching staff. At this point it doesn't really matter if we win 4 or 5 games as we are building for the future.
This. If he isn't currently coaching, bring him in as an analyst asap.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
This. If he isn't currently coaching, bring him in as an analyst asap.
I think you make him a coach so he can go out recruiting. Take the recruiting ability away from either the new Special Teams Coach or the new WR Coach. Get him out there recruiting plus see what coaches he can speak with that he might want to hire. If he is out and about recruiting it also gives a good smoke screen so that other coaches don't know if he is trying to hire away one of their Asst Coaches. Have Mickey run the team and he can hang around and watch. Plus he can interview the current players.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds