Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread

I've owned it in the past (I don't currently own it), so I'm somewhat familiar with it. It's had a nice run in the last year or so (up 30%). As blockchain transactions scale dramatically (think parabolic over the next half decade or so), there will be a need for solutions like HBAR to scale lots of transactions at low fees. It's a good long-term play, but probably not a get-rich-quick overnight coin to hold.

Yeah, I've been treating it as a long term hold. Thanks for the input.

My first investment was F last week lol, only a couple shares but it’s looking good so far. Also picked up a share of Best Buy, I worked there for almost 5 years and I feel like it’s going to keep climbing.
I backed an F150 up on F during the pandemic at about $4 per share and took out my cost basis at about $12. Now just letting it ride

It is my 2nd best holding so far. I am up almost 700% on TQQQ.

CZR is my all time duh... Bought at 5.96 a share on 3/20/20 and pulled everything out in May for $28/share.....Trades at $106 today.

That is a big reason why I almost always leave some $ on the table now, but I am pretty quick to get my cost basis off the table or even down to my cost basis so I take some profits off the table.

Last edited:
I use Coinbase pro, so I can't speak to prior to that but it just got added on Nov 1. There's basically new one's getting added weekly at this point.
Ahhh it’s a coin, I looked it up on TD and it had super random spikes with no information

FYI, Musk has a 28 billion dollar taxable gain.
CNBC said he has a 15 billion dollar tax bill.

Apparently has some options he has not executed on, but expire in 2022.

@Jim14510 why is this treated like income instead of cap gains?

Starting to finally fire up the investment account, going to be investing $50-100 per paycheck. Looking for mostly long equity plays, anybody have stocks they like?

If you want my most dead simple investing advice: buy NTSX. It's a 1.5x leveraged 60/40 portfolio wrapped in a single, efficient ETF. Pick a broker that doesn't charge fees to buy (I use M1 Finance), set up automatic deposits/buys, and that's really about all you need. If you're saving for retirement, stuff it in a Roth IRA (you can set that up on M1 or elsewhere).

I actually know this. He doesn’t take a salary, so his stocks are considered income instead of cap gains.

I actually know this. He doesn’t take a salary, so his stocks are considered income instead of cap gains.
That is what my guess was, but honestly don't have the confidence in my knowledge of the tax code as it isn't my sandbox.

Eh you seem trustworthy...
I've never lied to you or anyone else on this board. And at one point in my career, I literal Lee had a role that let me say, "I'm from corporate and I'm here to help". I loved doing that FWIW just to see the looks on people's faces. And this thread is all about investing. We should be providing advice, insight and perspective on things that help each other reach higher financial goals. This isn't a zero-sum game - plenty of $$$ out there to be had for all of us, IMO.

With options you have 2 options. If you don't make the election they are treated as compensation when you exercise them. You can make an 83(a) election (think that's the number). If you make this election they would be ordinary income when they are granted. That election is advantageous if the stock price is on the rise.

With options you have 2 options. If you don't make the election they are treated as compensation when you exercise them. You can make an 83(a) election (think that's the number). If you make this election they would be ordinary income when they are granted. That election is advantageous if the stock price is on the rise.
So if you don't make an election.... you pay ordinary income from the value they are the day you execute them and then they become a normal NQ stock.

If you 83(a) them you essentially realize them the day they are granted. I imagine the reason he didn't do this is he didn't have the capital to pay the taxes them.

So if you don't make an election.... you pay ordinary income from the value they are the day you execute them and then they become a normal NQ stock.

If you 83(a) them you essentially realize them the day they are granted. I imagine the reason he didn't do this is he didn't have the capital to pay the taxes them.
Correct. Would guess not having the capital wasn't really the issue. He was just didn't want to take the tax hit sooner. Depends when he was granted the shares.

Correct. Would guess not having the capital wasn't really the issue. He was just didn't want to take the tax hit sooner. Depends when he was granted the shares.
I mean I know Musk had some really tough times that is why I said that.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back