Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread (6 Viewers)

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
I took it as... If the fed pivots it likely means bad news is coming.

For example if they cut today it likely meant the banks are in bigger trouble than being let on.

I would be more curious about a similar chart for the 70's through 90's.

If the Fed cuts, or signals cuts, it means bad news has already happened...which is why the chart showing Fed Funds against downturns is... unnecessary? Lol.

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
before the bank failures less than 2 weeks ago the expectation was a .50% increase today. I could be wrong but raising .25% seems like they didn't want to to panic the markets by not raising and were afraid of more bank failures if they raised .50%.

they also softened the language about future rate increases indicating a pause is more likely now before they hit the terminal rate

looking at their rate projections they still don't show any indication of cuts in the near future, but I don't think anyone believes they will have the balls to stand pat if the economy tanks later this year

fed-plot.png
Powell seemed pretty forceful today in saying that there would not be cuts in '23...either he doesn't think there is any real systematic risk with the banks/credit, or he's basically telling everyone he's gonna fist them even if they don't want him to...

Given that the Fed has been transparent and extremely leading in their guidance, I'd think we are in for a good fisting maybe...

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

If the Fed cuts, or signals cuts, it means bad news has already happened...which is why the chart showing Fed Funds against downturns is... unnecessary? Lol.
I agree but there is also this thought going around on Twitter/the talking heads

Toe

Wide Receiver
Powell seemed pretty forceful today in saying that there would not be cuts in '23...either he doesn't think there is any real systematic risk with the banks/credit, or he's basically telling everyone he's gonna fist them even if they don't want him to...

Given that the Fed has been transparent and extremely leading in their guidance, I'd think we are in for a good fisting maybe...

Painful, but probably the right move in the long run.

Toe

Wide Receiver

“This crisis was caused by people on iPhones and other devices, hearing on social media that some bank might be in trouble,” Blackstone CEO Steve Schwarzman said in an interview with Bloomberg in Tokyo on Thursday. “They responded with huge withdrawals in a very short period of time, collapsing the bank.”

94% of SVB's depositors were above the FDIC's $250,000 insurance limit, but yeah, it was just a bunch of dudes on Twitter that are to blame for all of this, according to the CEO of an $89 billion company.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

• Toe

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds