Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Sources - Josh Lynn vetted for Offensive Line coach (1 Viewer)

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
If it was Lynn was Frost going to an option attack? Did he change his mind? Because like you talked about in the other thread why bring in MJ then?

Putting the pieces together and speculating based on some things we’ve come to learn…

I think Frost wants the offense to look like it did against Cockeye with a few more air raid concepts in the passing game to make it more dynamic. In order to create that offense and have it be what he wanted, I think he wanted a guy who was an expert in those option concepts on his staff and another who was an expert in Air Raid. Which brings us to Graham Harrell as your OC and Josh Lynn as your OL/RGC.

Add my thought here to what Sam McKewon tweeted out earlier about making sure guys were the right fit over resume and there you have it.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Is it possible Frost told Lynn “But our new OC needs to sign off on this before an official offer comes”.

Then the new OCs response to his OL coach being the coach from UNK went something like, “Wait, you hired my OL coach from where? Is this some sort of new coach hazing thing? Hell no.”

TraditionCoalition

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I do believe the information that Garrett got to have been factual at the time we received the information. So I do think this was close at one point to being done. What happened? I don’t know.

I don’t like @TraditionCoalition at all, but he’s had reasons to post what he’s been posting on RSS about Lynn.
Thanks TCjr… appreciate the shoutout.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Putting the pieces together and speculating based on some things we’ve come to learn…

I think Frost wants the offense to look like it did against Cockeyes with a few more air raid concepts in the passing game to make it more dynamic. In order to create that offense and have it be what he wanted, I think he wanted a guy who was an expert in those option concepts on his staff and another who was an expert in Air Raid. Which brings us to Graham Harrell as your OC and Josh Lynn as your OL/RGC.

Add my thought here to what Sam McKewon tweeted out earlier about making sure guys were the right fit over resume and there you have it.
In that case why not pony up the money for Davis and pair him with some like Harrell and give him a big raise and three years? To me he seems like a safer pick.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
In that case why not pony up the money for Davis and pair him with some like Harrell and give him a big raise and three years? To me he seems like a safer pick.

I don’t necessarily disagree. I’m just trying to make sense of it with the information we’ve got and what I said is the best I got.

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
Whether it was coachspeak or not. Doug Duda out of kearney directly asked Josh Lynn on his weekly appearance if there was any chance he was going to lincoln. this was about a month ago. Lynn said he enjoys being a head coach and his wife and kids really like their school
and where they live.

He has built UNK into a power and there is no way he would risk moving down the road for possibly a less than a season stint. I think he would do ok but we can do better. He fits well at UNK and i think Nubs should swing higher than that

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I’m not sure where this stands - but if our answer after getting rid of Austin, a relatively unproven high level OL coach is to go the D2 route, I don’t know what the hell to say.

Here’s Lynn’s resumé. What on here says I belong at UNL?795878D5-4789-4590-8A9C-DBBF4DC5D27B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
LJS reporting a lot of the same info we have heard the last few hours/days/weeks.

Nebraska coach Scott Frost is moving toward hires for his three staff openings, but as of late Monday, none of the additions appear to be finalized.
The most likely scenario — and one look at what’s happening around the country should be more than enough reminder that the situation is fluid — is that an offensive coordinator is hired first and then Frost's attention will turn to finalizing the other two spots, including a potential special teams coordinator.
USC offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Graham Harrell is believed by sources to be a strong candidate for the same position at Nebraska.

Harrell, of course, is likely out of a job in Los Angeles with Lincoln Riley — a play-calling, quarterbacks-coaching head coach — now in charge at USC.

Harrell also is a potential head coaching candidate in this cycle as the trickle-down impact continues through the next few weeks and could be a coordinator candidate for other schools, as well.
Other candidates for Nebraska's offensive coordinator job include Pitt’s Mark Whipple and Arizona State’s Zak Hill, though Hill is reportedly a prime candidate for the coordinator position at Auburn under coach Bryan Harsin. That pair worked together for years at Boise State.

Whipple is a Northeast guy and has spent most of his career on the East Coast, including two stints as the head coach at UMass. This year, the Panthers won the ACC and he coached a Heisman Trophy contender in Kenny Pickett, leading one coach to speculate that, “there’s no way” the 64-year-old Whipple is leaving Pittsburgh.

How the offensive coordinator position falls has an impact on where else Frost turns for offensive assistants. Harrell, Hill and Whipple coach quarterbacks, while others — like Virginia offensive coordinator Robert Anae, who was connected to the NU opening early in the process and last week saw coach Bronco Mendenhall abruptly resign — coach the offensive line.

If Nebraska does end up in the market for an offensive line coach, there are multiple known candidates. Frost interviewed Donovan Raiola, the Chicago Bears assistant offensive line coach who played college football at Wisconsin, late last week, a source confirmed to the Journal Star. Raiola has been with the Bears for the past four seasons and was a graduate assistant at Notre Dame from 2015-16.
Frost also met with Notre Dame offensive line coach Jeff Quinn in South Bend, Indiana, a source said.

According to reporting from South Bend, Quinn’s future on the staff under new Irish coach Marcus Freeman has not been formalized. Quinn has been in coaching for more than 35 years and has been ND’s offensive line coach for the past four. He’s been with the Irish since 2015 overall and before that spent five years as the head coach at Buffalo. He could be a candidate to rejoin Brian Kelly at LSU. Currently, LSU offensive line coach Brad Davis is the interim head coach in Baton Rouge.

A source also confirmed that Nebraska did speak with Nebraska-Kearney head coach Josh Lynn recently, but likely not about the coordinator opening. In addition to his head coaching duties, Lynn coaches the offensive line at the Division II school. Nebraska and Lynn also have history. Coaches from the two schools put their heads together this summer with coaches from Coastal Carolina about option principles, so communication between them is perhaps not surprising regardless of what direction Frost ultimately goes with his hires.

At special teams coordinator, Virginia special teams coordinator Ricky Brumfield remains in the mix, according to a source. Brumfield has overseen the Cavaliers’ special teams since 2018 and ran them at UT-San Antonio and Western Kentucky before that. Frost could also opt to stay in-house and promote Bill Busch, the Pender native, to the full-time coordinator role. He served the past year as an analyst and worked with NU’s special teams. He also coordinated Nebraska’s special teams from 2004-07 and has worked with them at other schools including Utah State and Wisconsin.

It is also perhaps too early to count out another special teams coordinator candidate like USC's Sean Snyder or Virginia Tech's James Shibest, both of whom are in the midst of head coaching transitions.

Last edited:

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
To everybody ITT

33-F86736-FA24-4777-917-A-7-EF5227-ACA31.jpg

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
A lot of the things people are saying about the risk with Lynn would seem to apply to Raiola as well. Not sure it makes a ton of sense not to go for more experience and recruiting prowess with (you would hope) everything on the line.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
TBH, @HuskerGarrett your “insiders” have been shit lately. Not throwing shade at you at all, but I feel like these people have been wrong more than right lately.
Fwiw I said Harrell was the favorite 2ish weeks ago...

Mongo said it was stupid and didn't see the connection.

Then today Schafer and Parker both said he was a serious contender.

UNK’sker

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I’m gonna back off the “set to be named” claim because I’ve heard from a couple of the sources that they aren’t as certain now. I do know it was close last week to being a done deal, not sure what has happened since then.
Maybe Frosty was helping his boy leverage UNK for a much deserved and more lucrative extension. Or maybe he’s that good of an oline coach. I never knew Lynn was well known for building great olines though.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds