Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Proud Dad Moments? (5 Viewers)

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Rumor is 3 is worse than 2.....any truth?
It’s just different. Two is the age of completely random meltdowns and not following directions because they don’t always know how. Three so far has been meltdowns that are less crying and more yelling, but are much less frequent. Also, my son got mean at times starting around 3 and still can when he gets in a really bad mood, mostly directed towards his mom. He’ll just tell her that he doesn’t want her to come upstairs for bedtime or that he doesn’t want her to play with him. Sometimes he even told her that he doesn’t like her, but I think that she was bringing some of that on herself tbh and it’s mostly resolved now.

But they also get funnier at this age, and can do nicer things too. Today I took him to Trader Joe’s and all on his own he decided that he wanted to get roses for mommy. He’ll also randomly come up to me and hug me and say “I love you so much.” Two year olds never do that shit.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It’s just different. Two is the age of completely random meltdowns and not following directions because they don’t always know how. Three so far has been meltdowns that are less crying and more yelling, but are much less frequent. Also, my son got mean at times starting around 3 and still can when he gets in a really bad mood, mostly directed towards his mom. He’ll just tell her that he doesn’t want her to come upstairs for bedtime or that he doesn’t want her to play with him. Sometimes he even told her that he doesn’t like her, but I think that she was bringing some of that on herself tbh and it’s mostly resolved now.

But they also get funnier at this age, and can do nicer things too. Today I took him to Trader Joe’s and all on his own he decided that he wanted to get roses for mommy. He’ll also randomly come up to me and hug me and say “I love you so much.” Two year olds never do that shit.
I forgot to respond to this. Pretty spot one for where we're at honestly. My daughter is going through this thing where mom is God and I suck, for probably a month now? It's fine, she goes in spurts where it's vice versa. Tantrums and not always understanding what is being asked of her, yes. We're just trying to be consistent with things the best we can. She turns 3 in April.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
no. 3 is better. the older they get the better. just dont be a pushover from a very young age & youll have less issues. @alt f4 is also correct on getting them in programs so they have structure and learn to listen to other poeple
Sorry forgot to respond to this. Yes, getting her in programs has been big for her. I'm sure that goes for all kids. Figuring out what she likes and doesn't like almost seems to be week to week, month to month lol but so far dance has been the most consistent. Admittedly, I'm softer with my daughter than I expected, but I'm sure that's natural for dads. No pushover though. My wife does struggle with that only because she's very busy with work, even in the evenings, so she tends to negotiate more than I do. The mixed messages get tough for my daughter, but we're doing our best. Call it good cop, bad cop.

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I forgot to respond to this. Pretty spot one for where we're at honestly. My daughter is going through this thing where mom is God and I suck, for probably a month now? It's fine, she goes in spurts where it's vice versa. Tantrums and not always understanding what is being asked of her, yes. We're just trying to be consistent with things the best we can. She turns 3 in April.
Yeah, it was really hard for my wife when it started because we had a newborn also and she felt like she never got any time with our older son, and when she did he was rejecting her. But they grow out of that stuff, and eventually her shifting her mindset to make sure that she was always showing him how much she loved spending time with him allowed that to turn around.

Last night I was explaining to my son that I was the one who broke the leg of his paw patrol toy (one of his absolute favorites) and had glued it back together, but that it was an accident and that I was sorry. He looked at me, smiled, gave me a hug, and said "it's okay daddy! you're my best friend!" Had me feeling really great, and then he immediately asked if he could have fruit snacks and suddenly I'm just wondering if I'm being manipulated. Such is life with a 3 year old.

Others have said the same, but we just find that it's so important to make sure that he's busy. Doesn't have to be planned or scheduled activities, but making sure that he has new things to do even at home, like drawing, puzzles, kinetic sand, helping cook, etc. Anything to avoid spending long stretches of time in front of the TV. The less screen time he gets in a day, the better his mood is.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Yeah, it was really hard for my wife when it started because we had a newborn also and she felt like she never got any time with our older son, and when she did he was rejecting her. But they grow out of that stuff, and eventually her shifting her mindset to make sure that she was always showing him how much she loved spending time with him allowed that to turn around.

Last night I was explaining to my son that I was the one who broke the leg of his paw patrol toy (one of his absolute favorites) and had glued it back together, but that it was an accident and that I was sorry. He looked at me, smiled, gave me a hug, and said "it's okay daddy! you're my best friend!" Had me feeling really great, and then he immediately asked if he could have fruit snacks and suddenly I'm just wondering if I'm being manipulated. Such is life with a 3 year old.

Others have said the same, but we just find that it's so important to make sure that he's busy. Doesn't have to be planned or scheduled activities, but making sure that he has new things to do even at home, like drawing, puzzles, kinetic sand, helping cook, etc. Anything to avoid spending long stretches of time in front of the TV. The less screen time he gets in a day, the better his mood is.
God damn aint that last statement the truth. It is what it is at this point in life but my wife and mother in law are extremely close, obvious mother and daughter relationship. When they have free time or time to unwind, their go to is social media or playing games on their phones or whatever, something on their phone. Been that way since I started being around them years and years ago. So, naturally for my wife and daughter, down time in the evenings if we don't have an activity planned, or weekends, or time to unwind, quiet time, whatever you want to call it, watching tv or a kid's learning game on the ipad. Not always of course, but I'm not a tech guy at all so it's more than I'd like. So, I encourage toys and whenever the weather is nice and I have a project going on I bring her outside with me. She loves it.

She loves helping to cook now, her new Christmas dolls, she's in a dress phase, you name it. I do my best to keep the screen time to a minimum if I can help it. My wife usually uses that time to unwind from the day. She works with Elementary School SPED kids so her patience is normally hosed by the time she gets home.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
This morning on the way to daycare, Geurilla Radio came on in the car and after like 45 seconds my three year old goes “I love this song!” He’s never commented on any music I’ve played before.

My boys love Rage Against the Machine, but I have to be extremely careful on my music I play around the boys, they're extremely good at memorizing songs. Typically by default I have the Blaze on and forget to change on our few minute drives we have to the Y. Months ago my 3 year started signing Zombified and Voices in my Head by Failing in Reverse. I got my ass ripped for that one, probably rightfully so.

"The voices in my head keep on telling me to pray
'Cause I'm spinning like a carousel, circling the drain
Hit the bottom of the bottle, I don't wanna feel the pain
But that is all I got for now, I don't wanna talk about it"

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
My boys love Rage Against the Machine, but I have to be extremely careful on my music I play around the boys, they're extremely good at memorizing songs. Typically by default I have the Blaze on and forget to change on our few minute drives we have to the Y. Months ago my 3 year started signing Zombified and Voices in my Head by Failing in Reverse. I got my ass ripped for that one, probably rightfully so.

Can relate to this. All 3 of my daughters are very good at memorizing country songs...One Beer, Drunk by Ellie King, Down to the Honky-tonk by Jake Owen. My now 5 year old, when she was 3 would sing the Jake Owen song. She would belt out...."I got a girl...named Shelia...she goes BATSHIT, on tequila..."

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG

Yeah I’m approaching the point where my oldest will start picking up on words in songs I play in the car. On the bright side, no reports on him running around yelling “turn that shit up!” today.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah I’m approaching the point where my oldest will start picking up on words in songs I play in the car. On the bright side, no reports on him running around yelling “turn that shit up!” today.
If the bass notes aren’t sucking the air out of your lungs, it’s not cranked up high enough!

Also, I now need hearing aids.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

Starting to like Pillen

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
My 7 year-old daughter had her first soccer game of the year through the La Vista rec. There's only 3 teams in their league this year, so one of the teams has to play one of the La Vista traveling teams - unfortunately for us that was us this week and we got our teth kicked in pretty good.

My daughter's coach is also the coach for the traveling team and after the game she came up to me and said that my daughter is very coachable and has great ball skills. She said that she thought she would be a better fit on the traveling team and invited her to join the team if we want. I'm so freaking proud of her right now!

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The American Dream is alive and well. Daughter turns 3 on Friday, picked up her back yard bounce house today for her big gift. Meat was on the grill, dogs out back, my wife, me, a buddy, and his daughter all out back for a good portion of the afternoon. Kids in the bounce house. Sun is shining. Life is good

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds