Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (3 Viewers)

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I was pretty pissed since I only got 3 days to hunt and that was the last day. I’ll tell you what though, those things sound prehistoric when they walk through through the underbrush.

What gun you using to hunt Moose with?

Everytime I see a moose in real life it blows me away how much bigger they are than Deer or Elk.

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Starting bow hunting this year. Will be my first time ever. Have a friend showing me the ropes. Been shooting his back up bow the past couple weekends. Any recs on a good beginner brand?
I had a couple of bows growing up as a kid (a Bear and a Darton) but my first real hunting bow was a PSE I got at Cabela's my first year of college. It was a kit with everything I needed to start hunting, but I later upgraded the rest and the sight. Really nice shooting starter bow for the price. I killed several deer with it before becoming a Mathews brand whore.
Tbh I’ve found there’s so many gear fanatics out there that upgrade to the latest and greatest every year, you can get a nice new-to-you Hoyt/Mathews/Any of the top-of-the line brands for a pretty damn good price by just buying last years/2 years old model.

I bought the Hoyt I’m using now on EBay 1 year used on eBay for half the price.
Agree with this. I got my latest Mathews Halon 6 (see brand whore above) from an outfitter from Cockeye who upgrades to the latest every year. Best part was he did all the grunt work and it was tuned perfectly. Just had to adjust the peep a bit and it was ready to roll.
Good call on the sight/rest.

I know I wish I would have just gotten used to a 1-pin sight out of the gate.

I’ve had a couple times with buck fever I’ve hit the rangefinder then started to pull the bow back forgetting to set the distance
Started shooting the 1-pin site two years ago. I don't shoot past 30, generally speaking, so it is great to just have the 1 pin in front of you when you're ready to pull the trigger. It has the roller wheel adjustment if I want to go nuts and shoot out to 50+, which I don't.

Last edited:

Samkellers_69

Safety
Elite Member
I had a couple of bows growing up as a kid (a Bear and a Darton) but my first real hunting bow was a PSE I got at Cabela's my first year of college. It was a kit with everything I needed to start hunting, but I later upgraded the rest and the site. Really nice shooting starter bow for the price. I killed several deer with it before becoming a Mathews brand whore.
I ended up picking up a Blackout that came with everything on it, I've shot almost every day with it, literally just shooting it and making adjustments is oddly addicting and satisfying.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
How many guys in here are “hardcore” whitetail hunters? Or own/manage land and get in depth with food plots & management?

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
How many guys in here are “hardcore” whitetail hunters? Or own/manage land and get in depth with food plots & management?

I’d consider myself a “hardcore” whitetail guy even though I prefer mulies. I’m on an 11 year roll of at least one whitetail buck a year with my bow which I think would put me in the “hardcore” category

I used to have a food plot on some land up in west Douglas but have been been hunting public land exclusively this year so haven’t put any work into it.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Everybody has a different measurement of hardcore, but it occupies a fair amount of my time and thought, especially since it is 4 hours from my home.
I don’t have my own land, but the family does, and I spend a good amount of time, and a little money helping get it improved and the plots ready each year.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Everybody has a different measurement of hardcore, but it occupies a fair amount of my time and thought, especially since it is 4 hours from my home.
I don’t have my own land, but the family does, and I spend a good amount of time, and a little money helping get it improved and the plots ready each year.
I’m closer than you by about 2.5 hours but in the same boat as my family owns it. I lead the management operations. Just became a dealer for the new G series no-till drills. Can’t wait to drill plots with one next spring! Drilled this year with drill and I’ll never go through tilling again if I don’t have to.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I’m closer than you by about 2.5 hours but in the same boat as my family owns it. I lead the management operations. Just became a dealer for the new G series no-till drills. Can’t wait to drill plots with one next spring! Drilled this year with drill and I’ll never go through tilling again if I don’t have to.
Oh, that is nice! Jealous about the drill for sure.. we were able to get our hands on a planter this year, but the lack of rain for 2 full months still made it rough.
Been trying to figure out some plans to improve our plots without spending much, as right now they look good due to sheer force of will. Without a drill, I am trying to work toward something that is closer to no-till just to help with weed suppression and moisture retention since there is no way to get water to that plot.
Luckily is IL, we have great soil. pH is on point, and nutrients are good.

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
Starting bow hunting this year. Will be my first time ever. Have a friend showing me the ropes. Been shooting his back up bow the past couple weekends. Any recs on a good beginner brand?

Looking for some possible feedback on some deer hunting gear. Most years I go back to Nebraska to hunt family farm land for the first few days of the season. The temperature can be anywhere from 60 to last year's temperature.

This is my current setup for layering. I put on most of it when I get to the stand.:

1. 13-year-old Cabelas Berber Fleece quarter zip hoody
2. North face primaloft vest
3. Patagucci Nano puff (primaloft jacket)
4. First lite sawtooth jacket
4. First Lite Furnace quarter zip
5. First lite merino crew
6. First Lite Obsidian merino wool pants
7. First LIte Uncompahgre zip up insulated pants
7. 300 gram merino wool long underwear
8. 800 gram danner pronghorns.

Now this is where I need some feedback. I'm looking at adding First Lite Solitude Bibs and the Solitude Jacket. The solitude jacket has really tight forearms and it's given me pause on how much layering one can actually do with it. The other option is to get the Scent Lok Divergent Jacket. The FL Sanctuary is also an option.

What are some thoughts on jackets?

*I get discounts with both brands.
I have a Solitude set and I hate it. The arms are way too tight to layer properly and the stupid collar on the coat is 4" tall because Steven Rinella is a weirdo. I can't hit my anchor point with my bow unless I safety pin the collar back.

It's quality stuff but the design is flawed IMO.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I have a Solitude set and I hate it. The arms are way too tight to layer properly and the stupid collar on the coat is 4" tall because Steven Rinella is a weirdo. I can't hit my anchor point with my bow unless I safety pin the collar back.

It's quality stuff but the design is flawed IMO.
The number one complaint seems to be the sleeves. How do you like the bibs?

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
The number one complaint seems to be the sleeves. How do you like the bibs?
They are the warmest and quietest bibs I own. They do have some bulk to them. I pack my bibs into the stand and then put them on because they are too bulky and warm to walk any considerable distance. If you recall we aren't far from each other. I find myself using my other FL gear and layering with furnace bases then opting to use the Solitude set. I only use the kit a few times a year when it gets really cold after rifle season if I don't have my archery buck yet.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds