Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT—cooking thread (1 Viewer)

redzoner

Cornerback
So….if the sous vide always brings things to perfect temp, how do you keep it there when you finish them using another cooking method?

To OPs post…the deer looks great but he mentioned he did the sous vide to 131 then seared. I always grill or pan sear mine to 120-125. If that was your desired temp would you just sous vide to 115 or so?

There is no carry over cooking with Sous Vide so by the time I get it out of the bag and to my finishing process it has lost a little heat on the outside.

And at the end I am only going for hard sear on the outside, so it happens quickly, the middle of the meat doesn't change in temperature. I always do my Sous Vide to the exact temperature I want it to be at the end.

Here's a flank steak for Carne Asada that I did a good crust on the outside, but you can see the middle is cooked right where it should be.

1676435729162.png

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
There is no carry over cooking with Sous Vide so by the time I get it out of the bag and to my finishing process it has lost a little heat on the outside.

And at the end I am only going for hard sear on the outside, so it happens quickly, the middle of the meat doesn't change in temperature. I always do my Sous Vide to the exact temperature I want it to be at the end.

Here's a flank steak for Carne Asada that I did a good crust on the outside, but you can see the middle is cooked right where it should be.

View attachment 20461
That’s pretty sweet. Might be worth grabbing one and seeing how it goes.

Toe

Wide Receiver
paula deen butter GIF

Alright, so I had myself a little taste test, lol.

Top tier:
Kerrygold - Butter flavor hits you pretty quickly and strongly. Noticeably salty. What butter should taste like.
Vermont Creamery - Rich and flavorful with a nice cultured tang, especially once it's melted.

Mid tier:
Aldi Irish butter - Solid medium flavor, faintly grassy, flavor hits more at the end. Good for the price.
Trader Joe's Cultured French butter - Sweet and creamy, a bit like Vermont Creamery (both cultured butters) but clearly not as flavorful overall.
Trader Joe's New Zealand butter - Something faintly odd in the flavor when it first hits, sweet and a bit grassy as the flavor builds, with a nice aftertaste.

Shit tier:
Minerva Dairy - Highest butterfat percentage of any I tried. Has a velvety richness, but a fairly weak 'butter' flavor. Disappointing, but might be useful if you want the texture for something.
Sam's Club Member's Mark butter - Stick of wax with a hint of butter flavor. TBH, I think that's how it is for most American butters. America got lost in the margarine era and hasn't really figured out how to make good butter.

parks and recreation butter GIF

1-year update: I still haven't used up all of this damn butter.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
I do most of the cooking at my house. I actually enjoy it and try to make fancier stuff, different types of cuisine, and use a lot of different techniques. I used to not cook much unless it was on the grill. But I’ve really found enjoyment in the whole process of cooking and flavor development.

Tonight I used a sous vide for the first time for a venison tenderloin. Kind of thought the tool was gimmicky, but I now think it will serve a purpose for certain items. Had a black pepper marinade with garlic and butter, brought it to 131° and then quick seared it with duck fat in cast iron. My wife hates deer but ate 2 slices.View attachment 8133

Did it still taste like deer?

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
I guess when you start comparing butter you got a lot more problems than the basics of cooking lol

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
You’ve the only person in the history of the World to say that. That’s like comparing diarrhea to regular crap.
I have 3 other buddies that are huge hunters that say the same. I always heard antelope was trash from EVERYONE but we all love it. Even my wife who doesn’t like wild game says antelope is better.

I don’t know if location of the kill matters? All mine have been eastern Wyoming and just south of Harrison, NE.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
I have 3 other buddies that are huge hunters that say the same. I always heard antelope was trash from EVERYONE but we all love it. Even my wife who doesn’t like wild game says antelope is better.

I don’t know if location of the kill matters? All mine have been eastern Wyoming and just south of Harrison, NE.
Maybe you have something here because deer is terrible. Steven Rinella seems to like lope

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Maybe you have something here because deer is terrible.
I’ve rarely had deer that still didn’t taste like “deer”. I like it, but you’ll get a bite every so often that isn’t good at all. I trim mine down to absolutely bare meat…anything that even COULD be silver skin gets trimmed. Dry brine in salt 24 hours before I cook it. I’ve had good results with how I do it.

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Bought a Pit Boss pellet grill recently and just used it today. Smoked a pork butt, used mustard to bind my Meat Church "Gospel" seasoning. I only used that one and it turned out delicious. Used Bear Mountain gourmet pellets. Smoked for about 10 hours to get to 205. took it off at 175 to put in aluminum pan and covered for the rest of the cook. If the wife liked it...I'm a winner.

P.S. tried making smoked Mac-n-Cheese...won't be doing that again. Easy enough but just didn't cut it for us. Blue box Mac-n-Cheese is the way to go.

First Pork Butt.jpg

NEHusker54

Cornerback
Bought a Pit Boss pellet grill recently and just used it today. Smoked a pork butt, used mustard to bind my Meat Church "Gospel" seasoning. I only used that one and it turned out delicious. Used Bear Mountain gourmet pellets. Smoked for about 10 hours to get to 205. took it off at 175 to put in aluminum pan and covered for the rest of the cook. If the wife liked it...I'm a winner.

P.S. tried making smoked Mac-n-Cheese...won't be doing that again. Easy enough but just didn't cut it for us. Blue box Mac-n-Cheese is the way to go.

View attachment 22589
Put that booty on the top shelf!

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds