Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT—cooking thread (2 Viewers)

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I do most of the cooking at my house. I actually enjoy it and try to make fancier stuff, different types of cuisine, and use a lot of different techniques. I used to not cook much unless it was on the grill. But I’ve really found enjoyment in the whole process of cooking and flavor development.

Tonight I used a sous vide for the first time for a venison tenderloin. Kind of thought the tool was gimmicky, but I now think it will serve a purpose for certain items. Had a black pepper marinade with garlic and butter, brought it to 131° and then quick seared it with duck fat in cast iron. My wife hates deer but ate 2 slices.2C83D167-D137-40FC-A911-24230C2FD1D0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Considering Sous Vide just for the waterfowl side of things, I love goose and all duck but if I fuck up and get on the medium side of medium rare it goes downhill quick. I’d still pan sear on the fat side to render the fat because next to bear fat there’s nothing better.

On a side note, I must eat too much venison because I pulled up your picture before I read your post and thought “that’s weird, his steaks have the same texture as venison or elk, but the same size as a back tenderloin cut of venison.”

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Considering Sous Vide just for the waterfowl side of things, I love goose and all duck but if I fuck up and get on the medium side of medium rare it goes downhill quick. I’d still pan sear on the fat side to render the fat because next to bear fat there’s nothing better.

On a side note, I must eat too much venison because I pulled up your picture before I read your post and thought “that’s weird, his steaks have the same texture as venison or elk, but the same size as a back tenderloin cut of venison.”
Sous vide would be perfect for waterfowl.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member

Alright, I've got a dumb question about cooking waterfowl.

redzoner

Cornerback
I have been using Sous Vide for three years now and there are so many things it's my primary option for because it always turns out perfectly cooked to temp.

I'm a big fan of doing wings. Couple bags of them cooked to the perfect temp and then you finish them anyway you want; Deep Fry, Smoker, Grill, Oven.

Last edited:

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I really enjoy cooking and love my Sous Vide. Hard to beat a Reverse Seared Sous Vide Steak. Salmon, tenderloins, chicken, burgers, steaks, brisket,.......... I can feed a pile of people at the Lake using the Sous Vide. Have burgers cooking with the Sous Vide at 125 degrees and then when everyone shows up just sear them off quickly on the grill. Same goes for ribs, wings.... Hard to cook for a big group of boats coming over when you don't know exactly when they are going to show up. Lake Time is a little more casual than real time and I don't want to be slaving over the grill all day

betsch

Safety
The best brisket I make is in the Sous Vide. Do it for 48-72 hours then finish on the smoker and it is tasty and not dry. I have dried out too many briskets on the smoker, this is way too easy (especially with meat prices these days).

redzoner

Cornerback
Explain it to me like I'm 5. How is it safe to cook waterfowl to a medium or medium rare, etc, but it's unsafe to do that with chicken meat?
You can cook chicken to medium or medium rare in a sous vide.

The temperatures commonly used for food safety are based on reaching that temperature and then you're fine but it actually is a logarithmic scale that it is still safe if you hold it at a lower temperature for a longer time.

1647016460264.png

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds