Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official 2024 Nebraska Cardiac Beaver Slayers Baseball Thread (40-22)

@ShortSideOption first off, thank you for responding. The below isn't an attack on you so I hope you take it for how it's meant...

I think it's straight bullshit 1890 claims there isn't interest in Husker baseball. For them to say that tells me all I need to know of their actual interest in raising funds for the baseball program. Jerk off their buddies and fuck a sport they're not tied to.

If you can, ask them why they haven't called former NU players, either retired from ball or currently playing professionally...

Gordon - made over $125M.
Erstad - made close to $50M.
Watson - made close to $30M.
Duensing - made close to $18M.

Bummer - $5.5M salary*, with options
Meyers - $770K salary
Waldron - $740K salary
*I believe Bummer has made over $25M.

And the above doesnt include former players that didn't make anything playing ball but have done very well for themselves outside of baseball.

Schwellenbach - $1M signing bonus, paid.
Povich - $500K signing bonus, paid.

Matthews - $2.5M signing bonus, 33% paid.
Anderson - $1.4M signing bonus, 33% paid.
Olson - $460K signing bonus, 33% paid.

I don't care if the 5 recent guys drafted with Bolt as Head Coach say no. CALL THEM! Fly them in, in the off-season. It's not a short term deal here, build the fucking relationship so if 1 of them break thru you can lean on them.

We have a former NU player living in Lincoln, and he never played after college. His net worth is around $15M. Nobody, from the Athletic Department or NIL, has ever called him for a single penny. And he's pretty well known. Not for football, not for basketball, not for baseball - not for a single thing. And he's a huge Husker fan, of all sports.

Gosh damn this is so maddening.
I have absolutely no insider info or connections related to 1890 or NIL donors, so this is purely what I've inferred from the themes and posts I've read over time, but the vibe I keep getting is that the 1890 leadership has a way in mind they want to do things, and a strong stubborn streak about taking much feedback, or letting anyone into the inner parts of the club if it threatens their control.

My amateur opinion is that they're not bad at what they do, but that there's some insecurity there that limits them to well short of what they could be.

@ShortSideOption first off, thank you for responding. The below isn't an attack on you so I hope you take it for how it's meant...

I think it's straight bullshit 1890 claims there isn't interest in Husker baseball. For them to say that tells me all I need to know of their actual interest in raising funds for the baseball program. Jerk off their buddies and fuck a sport they're not tied to.

If you can, ask them why they haven't called former NU players, either retired from ball or currently playing professionally...

Gordon - made over $125M.
Erstad - made close to $50M.
Watson - made close to $30M.
Duensing - made close to $18M.

Bummer - $5.5M salary*, with options
Meyers - $770K salary
Waldron - $740K salary
*I believe Bummer has made over $25M.

And the above doesnt include former players that didn't make anything playing ball but have done very well for themselves outside of baseball.

Schwellenbach - $1M signing bonus, paid.
Povich - $500K signing bonus, paid.

Matthews - $2.5M signing bonus, 33% paid.
Anderson - $1.4M signing bonus, 33% paid.
Olson - $460K signing bonus, 33% paid.

I don't care if the 5 recent guys drafted with Bolt as Head Coach say no. CALL THEM! Fly them in, in the off-season. It's not a short term deal here, build the fucking relationship so if 1 of them break thru you can lean on them.

We have a former NU player living in Lincoln, and he never played after college. His net worth is around $15M. Nobody, from the Athletic Department or NIL, has ever called him for a single penny. And he's pretty well known. Not for football, not for basketball, not for baseball - not for a single thing. And he's a huge Husker fan, of all sports.

Gosh damn this is so maddening.

I was fortunate enough to get to talk with AJ Minter in KC when the Braves were there last year. I asked him about Coach Childress and he said he still talks to him all of the time and said he was one of the best coaches he’s ever had.

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Childress could pass the hat a little bit and raise a handsome sum from his former players.

If we can't get NIL support in line with our expectations for baseball then I don't want to hear anyone saying shit about Bolt's job security. Fact is that if what is being said in this thread is true, we don't have a prayer of hosting regionals anything other than once in a blue moon.

If we can't get NIL support in line with our expectations for baseball then I don't want to hear anyone saying shit about Bolt's job security. Fact is that if what is being said in this thread is true, we don't have a prayer of hosting regionals anything other than once in a blue moon.
Right? You either want to be a poverty program, both in NIL and AD dollars spent on the program, or you want to be competitive. If you choose the former, align your expectations.

Erstad & Gordon are both millionaires with access to people that don't donate to Nebraska. All 1890 has to do is accept their offer of involvement.
I heard they tried a pass the hat last year for NIL $ with former players and the Christy firing didnt sit well with some of them.

I have absolutely no insider info or connections related to 1890 or NIL donors, so this is purely what I've inferred from the themes and posts I've read over time, but the vibe I keep getting is that the 1890 leadership has a way in mind they want to do things, and a strong stubborn streak about taking much feedback, or letting anyone into the inner parts of the club if it threatens their control.

My amateur opinion is that they're not bad at what they do, but that there's some insecurity there that limits them to well short of what they could be.
I'd agree with this. Assuming the Peeds pay 1890s administrative costs, there has to be some sort of want to on there end to raise money for baseball. If they don't care for the sport then they pry don't want to pay the costs and if true then we need a baseball collective.

Here is some info on the first ever Nebraska baseball and the 1890 golf tournament to help raise NIL money for the baseball team.

Thank you for sharing! A parent of a current player is heavily involved. Let me repeat this, a parent of a player! Good for Ben, major props!!

Did you attend the golf outing during the season that Sartori put together? Some really good discussion took place regarding NIL.

I'd agree with this. Assuming the Peeds pay 1890s administrative costs, there has to be some sort of want to on there end to raise money for baseball. If they don't care for the sport then they pry don't want to pay the costs and if true then we need a baseball collective.
I have no idea of the taxes/laws would work with it but couldn’t they even hire someone and say their job is to manage a baseball NIL fund within 1890 and we will base their pay on dollars raised? That way they could coordinate a little and be careful about pissing donors off about them coming to donate to 1890 and then oh by the way we also want you to donate to the baseball fund that Gordon is managing.

I have no idea of the taxes/laws would work with it but couldn’t they even hire someone and say their job is to manage a baseball NIL fund within 1890 and we will base their pay on dollars raised? That way they could coordinate a little and be careful about pissing donors off about them coming to donate to 1890 and then oh by the way we also want you to donate to the baseball fund that Gordon is managing.
Well that's kind of my point that if they don't care for the sport then they aren't going to hire someone and in their view "waste money on it". I'm not sure if they can use donated money to pay someone's salary or not. I'd bet the donors wouldn't like that. Maybe I didn't understand your last statement but if they make a separate NIL group specifically for baseball and you donate to 1890 for baseball then that's your own fault. But if we start paying all student-athletes like they are employees, is NIL still going to be a thing? It's hard to keep up with these ever changing rules.

Ya, I have no idea. We were on a football conversation and he unsolicited said "I just wish more high donors wanted to give to baseball, we have a really tough time there." Almost seems political if they have some former players wanting to donate, but not taking it from them?

1 million per year shouldn't be difficult. But i'm getting the feeling that our football NIL is in the 5-7 million range, basketball probably 2 million, so I wonder why you can't just get 1 million for baseball. But there's a lot of stuff I don't understand about baseball. I always felt we could almost make baseball a profitable sport like volleyball is for us (unlike most the rest of the country) if we commercialized it a bit more. Had more suites since we are in the northern part of the country, but then got into a rabbit hole discussion about how it's not just Nebraska's field and we share it.

I do know this... 300k for a transfer in football that is going to help has happened. Raiola is 7 figures. I get it's a different sport, the moneymaker. But shouldn't be difficult for Bolt. Especially if you get a talented arm to throw against guys that aren't SEC/ACC type players and really make a name for himself. Kind of like Sears.
Our football NIL$ is expected to be more than double that.

.500 SEC team gets into the tourney and wins a regional

Obviously Florida is talented and the SEC is better, but now we have to hear about it
Only 5 of 11 teams advanced. So at least they aren't invincible.

Thank you for sharing! A parent of a current player is heavily involved. Let me repeat this, a parent of a player! Good for Ben, major props!!

Did you attend the golf outing during the season that Sartori put together? Some really good discussion took place regarding NIL.
Yeah I played in it. Fun times and looking forward to it again next year. That are making it bigger next year and already have some sponsorship

Yeah I played in it. Fun times and looking forward to it again next year. That are making it bigger next year and already have some sponsorship

I'm aware and will be involved for 2025 and going forward. It's my understanding all proceeds will go directly to baseball NIL without 1890 involvement. Not sure how that's going to work but Pete has plenty enough clout in Lincoln to make things happen.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back