Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official 2024 Nebraska Cardiac Beaver Slayers Baseball Thread (40-22)

Let’s see how Dannen and 1890 treat this. I think 1.5m would do us well.

Dannen can make a difference by adding $1.5M to $2M to our overall budget, not including facilities. As an example; we don't need charter flights every weekend but FFS when there's a chance to fly direct then we should do it instead of booking connecting flights to a location because it saves us $15,000 for one trip. It's straight up embarrassing for an athletic department like Nebraska. On the way back, it's different due to time constraints & lack of direct options.

Instead of taking a bus to Minneapolis and getting in late, we can fly round-trip for under $35,000 total. Add in a chartered bus for transportation brijgs it to around $40,000 total. Nope, take a bus up & back as it costs us much less. Ridiculous.

We don't even have $1M for NIL, which is what the coaches have asked for, for 2 years. Gordon & Erstad have offered their involvement and it hasn't been accepted. At least to my knowledge (February Last update).

I'll find out more later this month, but for baseball it's paramount to break away from 1890 and have an independent NIL. And I don't say this to slam 1890 either, I get the pecking order. But we've had 1 of the big 3 men's programs that have actually performed on the field and they're being treated like bitches. If 1890 doesn't back up what they've been saying the last few months then it's time for a baseball only NIL.

And folks, with all due respect, spare me the "but Kansas State", "but UCONN", "but UCSB", so on and so on. There is minimal pressure to win at those schools, which allows their coaches more freedom to build. We have fans wanting our coach fired, because he's not Dave Van Horn.

Alright fellas, after a butt clincher in Athens, the Dawgs are heading to a Super Regional. One half of the #CornDawgs still in it. Wear red, ok?
Hungry Hot Dog GIF by SONIC Drive-In

Dannen can make a difference by adding $1.5M to $2M to our overall budget, not including facilities. As an example; we don't need charter flights every weekend but FFS when there's a chance to fly direct then we should do it instead of booking connecting flights to a location because it saves us $15,000 for one trip. It's straight up embarrassing for an athletic department like Nebraska. On the way back, it's different due to time constraints & lack of direct options.

Instead of taking a bus to Minneapolis and getting in late, we can fly round-trip for under $35,000 total. Add in a chartered bus for transportation brijgs it to around $40,000 total. Nope, take a bus up & back as it costs us much less. Ridiculous.

We don't even have $1M for NIL, which is what the coaches have asked for, for 2 years. Gordon & Erstad have offered their involvement and it hasn't been accepted. At least to my knowledge (February Last update).

I'll find out more later this month, but for baseball it's paramount to break away from 1890 and have an independent NIL. And I don't say this to slam 1890 either, I get the pecking order. But we've had 1 of the big 3 men's programs that have actually performed on the field and they're being treated like bitches. If 1890 doesn't back up what they've been saying the last few months then it's time for a baseball only NIL.

And folks, with all due respect, spare me the "but Kansas State", "but UCONN", "but UCSB", so on and so on. There is minimal pressure to win at those schools, which allows their coaches more freedom to build. We have fans wanting our coach fired, because he's not Dave Van Horn.
I hadn’t heard Gordon and Erstad offered their help and hasn’t been accepted. I’ve liked a lot of the nuggets you’ve been offering on baseball so far this year except this one. That kind of irritates me that they have basically ignored two of the biggest names in sker baseball history, especially one who was our HC for a few years. If I personally had enough money to help NIL funding I would help Baseball long before basketball. That’s just a personal preference of being a baseball fan for my second favorite sport behind football. I don’t agree with the hate for Bolt at all this season because last year he missed the post season so he made some changes. My understanding is that he pushed some guys to the portal last year (PonyBoy do you have any in insight as to truth to this?) and he moved on from Christi (I’ll admit this one was an easy one too means how he had Childress waiting). Bolt doesn’t seem like he’s going to just sit on his hands and expect things to get better.

I hadn’t heard Gordon and Erstad offered their help and hasn’t been accepted. I’ve liked a lot of the nuggets you’ve been offering on baseball so far this year except this one. That kind of irritates me that they have basically ignored two of the biggest names in sker baseball history, especially one who was our HC for a few years. If I personally had enough money to help NIL funding I would help Baseball long before basketball. That’s just a personal preference of being a baseball fan for my second favorite sport behind football. I don’t agree with the hate for Bolt at all this season because last year he missed the post season so he made some changes. My understanding is that he pushed some guys to the portal last year (PonyBoy do you have any in insight as to truth to this?) and he moved on from Christi (I’ll admit this one was an easy one too means how he had Childress waiting). Bolt doesn’t seem like he’s going to just sit on his hands and expect things to get better.

It could be outdated info from earlier this year, I don't know but I'm hopeful to get an update later this month.

Blurb sent to me from a On3 article. Be prepared for the worse, and hope for the best...

Swansen said he’s unsure of what his future holds. He’s bullish on what lies ahead for the Huskers and said the hard times this year made his finish to the 2024 campaign that much sweeter.

He’s draft eligible isn’t he? So are you saying he’s transferring or he’s going to draft? If he just goes to draft then it doesn’t sting nearly as much because you usually figure on only 3 years max anyways.

Yes he is, but I don't think that matters. He had plenty of opportunities a year ago and passed on them. I don't think he passes again, unless 1890 puts up some serious money & even then, it may not be enough.

Great post here, very interesting what you brought to light on our NIL budget comparative to other conference teams. I have connections at 1890, and they believe there just isn't enough high-level interest in baseball for the donations. Not sure if I buy that or not, but I can also see them just taking 500k to football/basketball and leave 500k to baseball if they stay with 1890, so an independent collective for baseball may not be a bad move.

I'm really impressed with what Bolt has done here the last 4 years, especially considering what you've outlined. The fact it's not good enough for some people is really interesting to me.

Great post here, very interesting what you brought to light on our NIL budget comparative to other conference teams. I have connections at 1890, and they believe there just isn't enough high-level interest in baseball for the donations. Not sure if I buy that or not, but I can also see them just taking 500k to football/basketball and leave 500k to baseball if they stay with 1890, so an independent collective for baseball may not be a bad move.

I'm really impressed with what Bolt has done here the last 4 years, especially considering what you've outlined. The fact it's not good enough for some people is really interesting to me.
That really sucks that 1890 basically has baseball on the back burner but like ponyboy said it’s lower on the pecking order than basketball unfortunately. That might even make it hard to hold onto Bolt IF he continues to improve every year and an SEC school comes calling and says we have a REALLY good NIL package for you to work with to recruit players on top of doubling your salary.

I love how they talk about baseball being regional yet 20 of the 32 MLB franchises are within the big ten footprint.

The SEC has 6 and it’s only 6 because apparently you have to count Missouri in the SEC footprint.
I definitely wouldn’t say mapping out where pro teams were located 100 years ago as relevant to the current demographics of where baseball players at younger ages are coming from.

The south lacks major cities to host pro baseball teams on top of that.

But definitely at the high school and college level the south dominates baseball. It’s probably the most lopsided of the 3 big men’s sports.

That really sucks that 1890 basically has baseball on the back burner but like ponyboy said it’s lower on the pecking order than basketball unfortunately. That might even make it hard to hold onto Bolt IF he continues to improve every year and an SEC school comes calling and says we have a REALLY good NIL package for you to work with to recruit players on top of doubling your salary.
The way they made it sound to me was that there wasn't as much interest to donate for baseball, not that they weren't trying. However, if the information is still true that Erstad and Gordon are willing to help that kind of discredits what they are saying to me. Further, if they are willing to help and 1890 just isn't letting them that's really weird and IMO we should break off immediately from them and form our own baseball collective. With that said, I know how hard it was for 1890 to get up and running just to get people to know when/how to donate, so I wouldn't want a 12 month ramp-up period because by that time it wouldn't help us until the 2026 season when it comes to portal and recruiting.

Just all really crazy.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back