Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

NW HS Omaha

All kids "can" be socially awkward. There's no reason one has to be because they aren't sitting in a school for 8 hours.
I’m not disagreeing with your thoughts on school being too long but home schooled kids do not develop the same social skills as kids in a classroom. I work with a guy who was home schooled and after 5 years it’s still brutal trying get him to communicate things. His kids are even worse. When they come over to our house they won’t leave their parents side to play with our kids.

This was always my goal but life has fucked me in that regard. Was just talking about homeschooling yesterday but to be quite honest I’m not cut out for that. I hear it can be good if you do it right.
teach your kids to treat other kids decent & they will be fine.

I’m not disagreeing with your thoughts on school being too long but home schooled kids do not develop the same social skills as kids in a classroom. I work with a guy who was home schooled and after 5 years it’s still brutal trying get him to communicate things. His kids are even worse. When they come over to our house they won’t leave their parents side to play with our kids.
I'm just stating my opinion on what environment I think is most natural. Traditional school is better for socialization than it is for learning. Home school/tutoring is better for learning than socialization. Like @Baron Winnebago said, there are always tradeoffs.

I think we need to evaluate what the goal of "school" should be. If it's to socialize our kids so they're great workers then what we have has "worked" for over a century more or less. If it's to maximize learning and education I think it's been a complete failure.

There are plenty of kids out there that don't go to traditional schools. I think the view that homeschooled kids are locked in their houses and don't ever interact with anybody but their parents is pretty outdated.

View attachment 41988
This is the freak show shit you deal with in the city. This was a week ago at the grocery store. Prior to this the girl was eating grapes from the fruit cooler right out of the bags (not in their cart). Her dad looked presentable but did nothing to stop her. These are the people that will shoot up schools, among other psychos bc they were picked on. Well fuck me, you want other normal kids to tell you “cool coyote costume”?

The city is fucked.
Taking sneaky pics of random teenage girls in a grocery store is 5000x more fucked than a random teenage girl wearing something silly and eating grapes. Absolute weirdo behavior.

Homeschooling is customized by every single family & results depend on personalities & what's prioritized. There are a million different ways to "socialize," and sitting in a room for hours every day with dozens of kids your exact age is only one of them.

You've interacted with dozens of homeschooled people in your life that you had no idea about.

Homeschooling is customized by every single family & results depend on personalities & what's prioritized. There are a million different ways to "socialize," and sitting in a room for hours every day with dozens of kids your exact age is only one of them.

You've interacted with dozens of homeschooled people in your life that you had no idea about.
And when you do find out they are homeschooled it’s pretty obvious. Kids in schools can be just as awkward but 85% of work/career development is communication and working with others. I’ve always felt like not learning how to socialize every day is another hurdle in life.

I'm just stating my opinion on what environment I think is most natural. Traditional school is better for socialization than it is for learning. Home school/tutoring is better for learning than socialization. Like @Baron Winnebago said, there are always tradeoffs.

I think we need to evaluate what the goal of "school" should be. If it's to socialize our kids so they're great workers then what we have has "worked" for over a century more or less. If it's to maximize learning and education I think it's been a complete failure.

There are plenty of kids out there that don't go to traditional schools. I think the view that homeschooled kids are locked in their houses and don't ever interact with anybody but their parents is pretty outdated.
The problem with traditional school is it doesn’t educate kids on things they will need later in life. I use very little of the things I learned to do my job and would have been better of starting to work on utility lines when I was 15. That being said I don’t believe homeschooled kids are locked inside all day but they go from being with other people 14 hours a day to 4.

teach your kids to treat other kids decent & they will be fine.
That I do. I’m lucky so far that my children are kind to everyone.
It’s not the targeted incidents like yesterday that I worry about, it’s the one day someone goes into a school spraying bullets bc they “feel different”.

The problem with traditional school is it doesn’t educate kids on things they will need later in life. I use very little of the things I learned to do my job and would have been better of starting to work on utility lines when I was 15. That being said I don’t believe homeschooled kids are locked inside all day but they go from being with other people 14 hours a day to 4.
I agree with that. I think schools make sense in smaller settings. It starts getting a bit inefficient when there's 1500 kids and maybe 50 teachers.

And when you do find out they are homeschooled it’s pretty obvious.
This is what's known as confirmation bias.
Kids in schools can be just as awkward but 85% of work/career development is communication and working with others. I’ve always felt like not learning how to socialize every day is another hurdle in life.
Being able to interact with other people is typically good, and nobody has claimed otherwise. Work & career development is important, but also only one aspect of life.

For most of human history, and in most places around the globe, people were not spending most of their childhoods in dedicated rooms of other kids their age, and yet, people communicated. A shortcoming in this that's much more prevalent in public school kids is not being able to communicate/work well with people outside of their immediate age range. Tradeoffs.

Homeschooling is simply a method where parents can prioritize the specifics that are important to them. Results will depend on that family's choices.

This is what's known as confirmation bias.

Being able to interact with other people is typically good, and nobody has claimed otherwise. Work & career development is important, but also only one aspect of life.

For most of human history, and in most places around the globe, people were not spending most of their childhoods in dedicated rooms of other kids their age, and yet, people communicated. A shortcoming in this that's much more prevalent in public school kids is not being able to communicate/work well with people outside of their immediate age range. Tradeoffs.

Homeschooling is simply a method where parents can prioritize the specifics that are important to them. Results will depend on that family's choices.
Confirmation bias is having an idea and only looking down that path. Literally every person that I know or have interacted with struggles in social settings.

And that’s great. You must homeschool your kids or were homeschooled. That’s your choice. Public or private schools aren’t for everyone and that’s perfectly fine.

Did you home school yours? If so can you give some context to how it worked? I spent a lot of time with/staying home with my children in the first months of life and then several spans during their toddler years and now starting to send them to school bothers me.
We were just VERY close to homeschooling - there are so many cool programs out there that account for socialization and just different types of learning that we really are in lockstep with.

Wife and I were very close to starting a One Room Schoolhouse type of setup a few days a week where homeschool families can congregate for a "traditional" experience. Classifying it as a study group, not a school, and you can get around so many bureaucratic requirements - and kids basically have a group study hall, do chores, have social time at one place. Then have the parents of kids come in on Friday's and do alternative lessons - here's a Friday on coding, here's a Friday on cooking/meal planning, here's a Friday on Property Management, here's a Friday on the principles of Smashmouth Fuck You football - things kids really need to know as they grow.

View attachment 41988
This is the freak show shit you deal with in the city. This was a week ago at the grocery store. Prior to this the girl was eating grapes from the fruit cooler right out of the bags (not in their cart). Her dad looked presentable but did nothing to stop her. These are the people that will shoot up schools, among other psychos bc they were picked on. Well fuck me, you want other normal kids to tell you “cool coyote costume”?

The city is fucked.
It’s super strange for a grown adult to be taking pictures of what appears to be a teenage girl unknowingly. But keep preaching those values of yours.

It’s super strange for a grown adult to be taking pictures of what appears to be a teenage girl unknowingly. But keep preaching those values of yours.
Ask the store manager about that in regard to her being a shoplifter. Man there’s some “tools” in this site.

The tech program at North is awesome and the kids there are pretty secluded. I don’t think OPS is great but I’d send my kids to certain schools if it benefitted their skills/interests. I have friends with kids at Westside and it has its challenges too
That's a fair point. The dad of one of my son's friends went to North for their tech program. He did say that it was a good program, and he's a software engineer now, but he also said that he wouldn't really want his kids going there. He saw plenty of violence.

I agree that there are a couple OPS schools that I'd send my kids too, but I think our plan is probably to move out to Elkhorn/Millard/Bennington when they're middle school age.

Honestly think homeschooling and private tutoring makes the most sense for kids.

Kids spend way too much time at school
Can you acknowledge why that isn't a scalable solution for our country though? Home school makes a lot of sense for some people and can be done with great outcomes, but if every family went down that path there would be some seismic effects on our economy and society.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back