Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

NW HS Omaha

My wife & kids were in the general vicinity at the time, & heard the police helicopters calling to the shooter.

Glad they caught him quickly, & hope they fry the bastard.

Not sure what method these kids use to get firearms into schools but I would have to think eliminating book bags, duffle bags and baggy coats would help cut it back.
Been thinking about this a lot lately with my children now going to school and with the day & age of electronic school work I believe book bags could be eliminated. Teachers could send artwork or crafts/random papers home in grocery sacks provided by the school or donations.

Not sure what method these kids use to get firearms into schools but I would have to think eliminating book bags, duffle bags and baggy coats would help cut it back.
Been thinking about this a lot lately with my children now going to school and with the day & age of electronic school work I believe book bags could be eliminated. Teachers could send artwork or crafts/random papers home in grocery sacks provided by the school or donations.
Or we could stop telling people they are safe spaces. Maybe protect kids, which are our most valuable asset, like we do court houses. Maybe stop making people that commit these crimes famous and plastering their face all over the news. Or we could enforce the thousands of gun laws we already have.

Or we could stop telling people they are safe spaces. Maybe protect kids, which are our most valuable asset, like we do court houses. Maybe stop making people that commit these crimes famous and plastering their face all over the news. Or we could enforce the thousands of gun laws we already have.
I don’t disagree with you at all. Fuck, bring the gallos back to the streets and string em up. People will knock their shit off real quick.

My original post would be a quick way to cut back some ability to bring weapons into schools.

I don’t disagree with you at all. Fuck, bring the gallos back to the streets and string em up. People will knock their shit off real quick.

My original post would be a quick way to cut back some ability to bring weapons into schools.
Having three young children I completely understand where you are coming from but every measure we could take still won’t stop someone from committing a crime if they want to. It’s sad a 14 year old has access to a gun like that. His parents should be held accountable too even if the kid purchased a gun illegally.

Having three young children I completely understand where you are coming from but every measure we could take still won’t stop someone from committing a crime if they want to. It’s sad a 14 year old has access to a gun like that. His parents should be held accountable too even if the kid purchased a gun illegally.
I haven’t heard, what gun did he use?

I somewhat disagree…no, a typical citified 14yr old should not have access to a firearm. However, any 14 yr old of mine would not only have access but would know firearm safety & handling better than most adults. He or she would be able to kill, clean and cook your dinner by themselves. All kids aren’t created equally these days.

It’s all in the upbringing.

I haven’t heard, what gun did he use?

I somewhat disagree…no, a typical citified 14yr old should not have access to a firearm. However, any 14 yr old of mine would not only have access but would know firearm safety & handling better than most adults. He or she would be able to kill, clean and cook your dinner by themselves. All kids aren’t created equally these days.

It’s all in the upbringing.
They haven’t said but since they got into a fist fight before I’d assume it was a handgun. And that’s great you feel that way and I don’t disagree with you about upbringing. My dad and I were big about educations and safety. I have a 12 year that can do the same and I was raised around guns all my life but the law says that gun is your responsibility. If you want to give you kid free access to any gun that’s your choice but kids make dumb decisions. Kids have died messing around thinking guns are unloaded and still have one in the chamber.

Kids have died messing around thinking guns are unloaded and still have one in the chamber.
^^^ This. I had a man that worked for me when I ran the Lincoln terminal for ABF that lost a teenage son that way. Found the weapon and he and a buddy were goofing around with it - not knowing it was loaded - until they found out the hard way.

I've never seen the life drain out of a man before, but the "before" and "after" personas were understandably completely different. I think about him often and pray that he found some peace with the passage of time, It will never bring his son back, but I hope he found a way to deal with the loss.

^^^ This. I had a man that worked for me when I ran the Lincoln terminal for ABF that lost a teenage son that way. Found the weapon and he and a buddy were goofing around with it - not knowing it was loaded - until they found out the hard way.

I've never seen the life drain out of a man before, but the "before" and "after" personas were understandably completely different. I think about him often and pray that he found some peace with the passage of time, It will never bring his son back, but I hope he found a way to deal with the loss.
I’m not trying to tell people how to parent but that is a way more common thing than people realize. Kids, in particular teens, do dumb things not knowing it.

They haven’t said but since they got into a fist fight before I’d assume it was a handgun. And that’s great you feel that way and I don’t disagree with you about upbringing. My dad and I were big about educations and safety. I have a 12 year that can do the same and I was raised around guns all my life but the law says that gun is your responsibility. If you want to give you kid free access to any gun that’s your choice but kids make dumb decisions. Kids have died messing around thinking guns are unloaded and still have one in the chamber.
It’s not free access but def the ability to use them as they’re designed to be used.

I’m about to have my first kid, and I can’t imagine putting my kid into a school in any city. I’m coming up on 10 years in Lincoln & will be moving before my kid starts school, or atleast putting them in a smaller school in the surrounding areas.
This was always my goal but life has fucked me in that regard. Was just talking about homeschooling yesterday but to be quite honest I’m not cut out for that. I hear it can be good if you do it right.

This was always my goal but life has fucked me in that regard. Was just talking about homeschooling yesterday but to be quite honest I’m not cut out for that. I hear it can be good if you do it right.
I wouldn’t ever make my kids homeschool, I don’t think that’s how a kids childhood should be spent (unless I win the mega millions tonight, then we’re traveling the world & I’ll hire my own teachers to travel with us). But I would constantly be worried if I put them in school in a city. No way I could do it.

I’m about to have my first kid, and I can’t imagine putting my kid into a school in any city. I’m coming up on 10 years in Lincoln & will be moving before my kid starts school, or atleast putting them in a smaller school in the surrounding areas.
I’m from Omaha but we lived out in rural Nebraska before moving to an acreage around plattsmouth for my job. Both have their pros and cons. I do like the smaller class sizes but I also sometimes wish my kids could just go outside to play with neighbors. Also smaller schools still deal with bullshit.

I’m from Omaha but we lived out in rural Nebraska before moving to an acreage around plattsmouth for my job. Both have their pros and cons. I do like the smaller class sizes but I also sometimes wish my kids could just go outside to play with neighbors. Also smaller schools still deal with bullshit.
I went to a class C2 school. I know they’re not perfect, but I’d feel a hell of a lot safer sending my kids there. Yeah I will probably live in town, so my kids will surely be able to play with neighbors, or atleast ride there bikes to friends.

I went to a class C2 school. I know they’re not perfect, but I’d feel a hell of a lot safer sending my kids there. Yeah I will probably live in town, so my kids will surely be able to play with neighbors, or atleast ride there bikes to friends.
If it makes you feel any better I went to high school in Lincoln and never felt unsafe. You definitely should do all you can to avoid sending kids to a place like Omaha NW though.

IMG_8983.png
This is the freak show shit you deal with in the city. This was a week ago at the grocery store. Prior to this the girl was eating grapes from the fruit cooler right out of the bags (not in their cart). Her dad looked presentable but did nothing to stop her. These are the people that will shoot up schools, among other psychos bc they were picked on. Well fuck me, you want other normal kids to tell you “cool coyote costume”?

The city is fucked.

I wouldn’t ever make my kids homeschool, I don’t think that’s how a kids childhood should be spent (unless I win the mega millions tonight, then we’re traveling the world & I’ll hire my own teachers to travel with us). But I would constantly be worried if I put them in school in a city. No way I could do it.
People vastly overestimate how difficult it is to teach your own kids, IMO.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back