Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nuggets from a poster who was with a Nebraska offensive coach

Has anybody asked how a coach with no Big 10 coaching experience would even be in position to opine on such things?

Watching film ain’t shit.
Film tells you everything you need to know. If interested, read the book 'What is open' by Dub Maddox.

During the spring, was certainly a CT guy, think in terms of ability and smarts would offer a more consistent offering than Sims and to be fair to CT, the OL gave him zero opportunities last year. Watching Sims during the spring game you see the talent and love the size and athleticism, but Rhule and staff are going to have develop him as a passer and set up a system where he is not scrambling every play, if not it will be very up and down for N.

Jeff Sims 31 Turnovers - 25 games played - Add in 17 total fumbles -projected turnovers per full year 14.88 (avg turnovers per game x 12 games)
Casey Thompson 21 Turnovers - 29 games played - 6 total fumbles - projected turnovers per full year 8.69

Now Jeff has improved on this, but he has been turn over proned in the past.
Other things to take into account:

What kind of offense was Sims in? Did it fit his strengths? What reads were they asking him to make? How good were those around him? Were his receivers in the right place? Etc.

What kind of offense was Sims in? Did it fit his strengths? What reads were they asking him to make? How good were those around him? Were his receivers in the right place? Etc.
Yeah Urban had a video that he basically broke down that 50% of interception are really on the QB. I think he said 30% was on the WR and 20% was on the OL usually.

I do think we will see an offense closer to what we were asking Tommy Armstrong to run when Beck was here.

I don’t understand this reasoning from many fans. Not just you. But seeing it reminded me. Depth at QB these days is pretty much non existent with the portal. Anyone’s first guy goes down. They’re probably fucked.

And I’ve head a lot of about oh sims will get hurt. Blah blah blah. He might. But we’ve been snake bitten by injured QBs as of late. I think sims will make it thru fine. He’s not small. Runs the ball well. And hopefully they can keep him out of the dropback as much as possible. RPO. Movement passes. Run the damn ball. Pap. And sub Haarberg in to run the damn ball.

I think if you make sure that we stay on schedule offensively and when we inevitably get off schedule make sure Sims knows not to try to be a hero that we’ll be okay. If you stay on schedule we may even look pretty sharp at times. Not top 25 offensively by any means, but adequate. If you can be a top 25 special teams unit from there you should be just fine.

I think if you make sure that we stay on schedule offensively and when we inevitably get off schedule make sure Sims knows not to try to be a hero that we’ll be okay. If you stay on schedule we may even look pretty sharp at times. Not top 25 offensively by any means, but adequate. If you can be a top 25 special teams unit from there you should be just fine.
I think special teams should be there.

Defense I could see being better than most think.
1689704662897.png

I also think that they're going to call games on offense to protect their defense more than we have in the past.

This topic propagates the only glimmer of grace I will accept when discussing Jeff Sins and his history of suck. Geoff Collins did one of the stupidest things a successful head coach could do in 2019 when he decided to replace Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. I realize he doubled his salary, but taking a job where he had to transition from the Wishbone to the Pro Style Multiple Offense, coordinated by a lifelong D3 to FCS coach in Dave Patentaude, would require a bold and minimum 3-year transition. His 2019 season was an absolute dumpster fire, as their offensive line couldn't pass block. Their QB's couldn't throw, and they were pretty much a comedy of errors. They basically looked like every Chubba Purdy started game for Nebraska.

2020 - True Freshman Sins arrives in year 2 of the transition. This is the Covid year, and the offense has an older offensive line.
2021- a lot of the older dudes either transferred or didn't return - Sins has to play behind a new offensive line- Offense is a mess. Jayhmir Gibbs transfers to Bama
2022 - Collins fires Patentaude and then hires Chip Long to run a wide open Spread attack.

- Kid shows up at 18, doesn't have a normal preseason practice routine.
- As a true Sophomore, he has to play behind a really young offensive line.
- 3rd season they roll out a completely new and different offense

To say the offense didn't really suit Sims isn't necessarily accurate. It didn't really suit anyone at Tech. That offense was destined to fail from the beginning.

Compounding matters for Collins and Georgia Tech, their defense was just atrocious during this time. The man was an incredibly successful Defensive Coordinator for much of his career and he couldn't put together any type of respectful defense at Ga Tech.

I for one giggle at the thought of someone like our tight end coach who was coaching HS in Texas last year to know he has a top-4-in-the-conference position group. Magnificent

I watched the ‘22 Clemson/GaTech game today and it was rough to watch.

Sims played as well as you could hope for a guy with no OL. They had what felt like 9 false starts in that game but he looked pretty poised considering the pressure he was under. Still, there were a few bad decisions that looked Nebraska-esque. Throwing out of a sack into triple coverage in the red zone, for example.

They were making him play hero ball, though.

I watched the ‘22 Clemson/GaTech game today and it was rough to watch.

Sims played as well as you could hope for a guy with no OL. They had what felt like 9 false starts in that game but he looked pretty poised considering the pressure he was under. Still, there were a few bad decisions that looked Nebraska-esque. Throwing out of a sack into triple coverage in the red zone, for example.

They were making him play hero ball, though.
All big 10 in 2013 no doubt

Huskers win 11 game’s minimum

Yeah...this coach sounds like he may have been part of the problem

chris-bosh-smile.gif

Got excited for this thread, and then noticed the date. Sad.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back