Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nuggets from a poster who was with a Nebraska offensive coach

Has anybody asked how a coach with no Big 10 coaching experience would even be in position to opine on such things?

Watching film ain’t shit.
In this case the coach is probably Donny Riaola, he knows the Big 10 because he's been here for a year

Dude is confident that his o-line is gonna dominate

Has anybody asked how a coach with no Big 10 coaching experience would even be in position to opine on such things?

Watching film ain’t shit.

Coaches use the same formulaic process for rating players that used by the NFL. And they actually can tell a lot by evaluating actual game film, played at the Power 5 level. Its how they game plan for opponents.

I guarantee Nebraska has some support staff who have studied every roster and depth chart in the Big Ten and gave Rhule a staff a run down of where they stand in the league.

Even if Simms is better we'll miss him from a depth standpoint. Could have had a less significant drop-off from 1 to 2 if he stayed.

My guess is CT would have started and stayed as the starting QB if he didn't leave or get injured.

Having said that I'm not sure CT makes much of a difference in the wins.
I think it would’ve depended on how much running factors into the QB spot. Thompson likely never would run & would be the better manager passing/IQ but maybe simms legs will open up the offense more. I don’t buy into our RBs & simms legs forcing 11v11 will help em. Simms goes down & we’ll definitely miss Thompson but not really an option for him to stay

I think it would’ve depended on how much running factors into the QB spot. Thompson likely never would run & would be the better manager passing/IQ but maybe simms legs will open up the offense more. I don’t buy into our RBs & simms legs forcing 11v11 will help em. Simms goes down & we’ll definitely miss Thompson but not really an option for him to stay
Would have been less QB run with CT for sure.

I think if they are going to split with Michigan/Ohio St or possibly win both than this is the year. They are loaded up front, great backfield, good receivers, top notch defense.
Penn State seems like that pick that has everybody's attention. I just think it might be a year early. I know their defense should be nasty which obviously helps a ton.

Yeah this is the year where it wouldn't surprise me if Ohio State finishes 3rd in the East.

I have said Day has regressed since Urban on what it takes to win big games. DL/Defense, Running and special teams have all regressed. Now you have uber talented WRs and QBs you can win a shit ton, but they aren't a tough team.

When he says he was with an "offensive coach," are we talking one of Satterfield, Raiola, Barthel, McGuire or Wager? Or was this like an assistant? If this was one of the "big dog" coaches, I wouldn't be surprised if this was McGuire. I could see him being hardest on his own position group and high on everyone else.
I thought he meant sexually.

I don't think Sims has a chance to be remotely close. Jmo
To me Casey was the more sure thing. Sims has a wider gap between ceiling and floor.

I think about how they want to play and it seems like Casey would have been a better fit. I am not talking X's and O's wise, I am more talking about how they want to play. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a pretty conservative offense that tries to limit mistakes and protect their defense. To me that seems more like a Casey Thompson need at QB than a Sims.

Penn State seems like that pick that has everybody's attention. I just think it might be a year early. I know their defense should be nasty which obviously helps a ton.

Yeah this is the year where it wouldn't surprise me if Ohio State finishes 3rd in the East.

I have said Day has regressed since Urban on what it takes to win big games. DL/Defense, Running and special teams have all regressed. Now you have uber talented WRs and QBs you can win a shit ton, but they aren't a tough team.
He and Lincoln Riley seem to struggle in the really big games.

Remember when OU was going to hammer Georgia in that Rose Bowl and the Lincoln Riley lost his fucking mind in the 2nd half?

To me Casey was the more sure thing. Sims has a wider gap between ceiling and floor.

I think about how they want to play and it seems like Casey would have been a better fit. I am not talking X's and O's wise, I am more talking about how they want to play. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a pretty conservative offense that tries to limit mistakes and protect their defense. To me that seems more like a Casey Thompson need at QB than a Sims.
It's not like Casey didn't have his share of turnovers.

hypothetically, what if we could swap either Thompson or Palmer from last year onto this team?

Does this year's team with Thompson (but no Sims) have a better offense than a team with no Thompson, but Palmer at WR? IMO, that's an easy choice as a LOT of Thompson's success boiled down to "fuck it, Trey's down there somewhere"

So, if he is RIGHT on the OL then i am more than happy to give him his low review of the WRs.
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏 (thats 5 for: OT OG C OG OT)

as for the rest:

NEBRASKA math:
1 - Rhule likes and wanted Sims
2 - I like and wanted Rhule
therefore
3 - I like and want Sims.

Methinks Rhule will lean on the RBs, all 4 or 5 of them, so that ranking will prove right on volume alone.
And If they are actually good and the OL is where he says, then this one is easy per the OP.

I worry about the TEs.
I was not impressed in sping game, i know i know, but Drops will kill drives.
Unknown on Fidone and Alec make it tough to rank them as high as per the OP.

My Ohio State friends claim if they lose to Michigan this year, Day is gone.

He and Lincoln Riley seem to struggle in the really big games.

Remember when OU was going to hammer Georgia in that Rose Bowl and the Lincoln Riley lost his fucking mind in the 2nd half?
I firmly think in order to win those games you need to have the DL/Defense, be able to run the ball and be excellent at special teams. Both seem to struggle with that.

You can win a lot of games along the way vs Purdoodoo, Nebraska, NW, Rutgers, Cockeye, Wisconsin, etc.... by having Marvin Harrison Jr, JSN and Stroud, but to win those bigger games you need those other areas to be better.

You can also look at how Utah has owned USC lately.... Utah is basically a B1G team in the Pac 12. Now comes the part where I remember we almost had Kyle Whittingham as our HC, but got coach pudding cup instead.

On the flipside, look at Michigan. They have beat down Ohio State the last two years and they have improved in those 3 areas. Now this year sounds like it will be Michigan's best team of this little run they are on. They are giddy about the DL this year.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back