Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Mike'l Severe on the huskers talent wise (1 Viewer)

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
those weren't all cum from behind games (no pun, tone). several were with DONU in the lead or tied. still, more TO's than completions! that's nearly impossible to do, but he did it. congrats to the boy!
I hope and believe he will crush it at KState and all you helmets will have egg on your helmets

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I’m not going to argue with anyone who’s skeptical of the OL. I’m of the school of thought that it can’t get worse and there’s experience coming back.

Curious on WR though. Toure is a loss. But honestly, I’m not seeing this group being worse than last years
There are some dudes in that room this year. Hell, last year was a huge improvement compared to 2020 where you had Kade fucking Warner as captain.

Omar finally started to come on last year. No more Gomez overthrowing players and dicking into the dirt (CT should be an upgrade). MJ coaching. I personally think we see vast improvement.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
There are some dudes in that room this year. Hell, last year was a huge improvement compared to 2020 where you had Kade fucking Warner as captain.

Omar finally started to come on last year. No more Gomez overthrowing players and dicking into the dirt (CT should be an upgrade). MJ coaching. I personally think we see vast improvement.

There’s more actual P5 production coming back this year (counting Washington as I believe he’s ours if we’d like him) than there was last year.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Yep. Should be better. But this team has also proved me wrong countless times before so what's one more.

That’s the thing. As I’ve said previously, I’m not married to one outcome over the other and I’m not gonna get upset if it goes poorly. There’s certainly scenarios I can see where it does.

Toe

Wide Receiver
Mathis is the only guy that I would say should be a definite upgrade over what we had last year. We haven't really had a strong pass rusher since Randy Gregory, and boy have we needed it.

The rest of the guys on DL haven't exactly shined to date, but they're mostly young, and it's a little hard to get a feel for their potential considering that we're probably going to be using more 4-man fronts this year. Similar story for the LBs, partly for the same reason.

Kicker and punter almost HAVE to be upgrades - it would be hard to find guys who are even worse.

RBs I don't think will be much better in talent, but will hopefully be much better in coaching.

Same story for WRs. On paper, Frost has done a good job of recruiting them, but getting them to actually stick around and contribute to their full potential has been abysmal. Hopefully Joseph can change that.

QB I think will be a side-grade overall, but could look a lot better with better guys around him. Which mostly depends on...

The OL is still the scariest group on the team. I don't know if Raiola is a better coach or not, but even if he is, it'll probably take a while for him to get things turned around. Mostly it's gonna come down to whether guys can stay healthy, and if guys coming back from injury are able to play at their previous level.

Long story short, this team will be exactly as good as its lines allow it to be.

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
spaceballs GIF

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Mathis is the only guy that I would say should be a definite upgrade over what we had last year. We haven't really had a strong pass rusher since Randy Gregory, and boy have we needed it.

The rest of the guys on DL haven't exactly shined to date, but they're mostly young, and it's a little hard to get a feel for their potential considering that we're probably going to be using more 4-man fronts this year. Similar story for the LBs, partly for the same reason.
I guess I look at this and am actually really intrigued by our front 7.
Edge - Mathis Nelson Blaise Butler are a definite upgrade in my eyes.
DT/NG - is a downgrade IMO. I think Casey for Drew is a downgrade as far as talent, but I think Drew is more reliable than Casey. I think Daniels to Nash is a sizeable downgrade.
LB - Tannor/Nick/Luke all should continue to improve year over year.
Nickle/Sam/Safety/Jojo role - I don't know who/how this defense will use this role or if they will. So naturally losing Jojo is a downgrade.

My thoughts are for this group is be serviceable at your 1 tech and you need your dudes to be dudes.

RBs I don't think will be much better in talent, but will hopefully be much better in coaching.
I think Allen and Grant were sizeable upgrades to replace what we lost. Coaching will help here a lot IMO.

Same story for WRs. On paper, Frost has done a good job of recruiting them, but getting them to actually stick around and contribute to their full potential has been abysmal. Hopefully Joseph can change that.
Agreed... You lost a good WR in Toure and a talented one in Betts. I know they are high on Palmer and Bonner.

You could really convince me upgrade, flat or slight downgrade here.

QB I think will be a side-grade overall, but could look a lot better with better guys around him. Which mostly depends on...
Agreed
The OL is still the scariest group on the team. I don't know if Raiola is a better coach or not, but even if he is, it'll probably take a while for him to get things turned around. Mostly it's gonna come down to whether guys can stay healthy, and if guys coming back from injury are able to play at their previous level.
Getting healthy is huge here.

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
That’s the thing. As I’ve said previously, I’m not married to one outcome over the other and I’m not gonna get upset if it goes poorly. There’s certainly scenarios I can see where it does.
You need one of those avatars thingys

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Potential starting D

Mathis TyRob Wynn Nelson

Tannor Reimer Henrich

Newsome Farmer Singleton Hill

… who will step up at safety and corner opposite Newsome? We have a lot of raw talent in that room if you trust star rankings. Wynn is an important get. Gets pretty thin at DT behind tyrob, drew and nash

Toe

Wide Receiver
I guess I look at this and am actually really intrigued by our front 7.
Edge - Mathis Nelson Blaise Butler are a definite upgrade in my eyes.
DT/NG - is a downgrade IMO. I think Casey for Drew is a downgrade as far as talent, but I think Drew is more reliable than Casey. I think Daniels to Nash is a sizeable downgrade.
LB - Tannor/Nick/Luke all should continue to improve year over year.
Nickle/Sam/Safety/Jojo role - I don't know who/how this defense will use this role or if they will. So naturally losing Jojo is a downgrade.

My thoughts are for this group is be serviceable at your 1 tech and you need your dudes to be dudes.

What I think we're gonna end up seeing on defense is a lot of experimentation to figure out the best match of scheme to skills. That's a recipe for inconsistency, especially early on. But I think we've got enough dudes to be a reasonably good unit.

I think Allen and Grant were sizeable upgrades to replace what we lost. Coaching will help here a lot IMO.

I mean Morrison is all that we really lost, right? That's not a lot of production to replace, despite his potential. We've never really been short on potential at RB, but we haven't got much production out of it. (Held and Austin should've been fired at least a year sooner...)

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds