Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Inside Info Mario Veruduzco may be on the way out of town

I understand what you are saying about LB's in the 3-4. In that case you could have Chinander coaching one of LB Groups, not unheard of for a DC. There don't appear to be any easy answers but hopefully Frost has the stones necessary to make some of the needed changes. We need the best most qualified coaches we can get, not friends or former Husker players who have no experience coaching on this level.

Now think about the challenges the coaches before him faced when they only had 9 coaching positions to work with? Glad the NCAA added that 10th coaching spot but even with 10 we have struggled in so many areas. Hard to pinpoint just 1-2 areas of weakness.
It really just depends on if you want your DC to coach a position. To me it’s not as big of a deal for the OC to coach QBs because of the relationship that is necessary for your OC and QB.
I think your ST guy should coach a position. I think the best position is TE, followed by probably RB. TEs can split time with OL and WR, RBs are with QBs a lot of the time. TEs ant RBs are also a prime spot for GAs to get their foot and do some coaching because it’s not a huge room to coach.

Lm93KRM.gif

I understand what you are saying about LB's in the 3-4. In that case you could have Chinander coaching one of LB Groups, not unheard of for a DC. There don't appear to be any easy answers but hopefully Frost has the stones necessary to make some of the needed changes. We need the best most qualified coaches we can get, not friends or former Husker players who have no experience coaching on this level.

Now think about the challenges the coaches before him faced when they only had 9 coaching positions to work with? Glad the NCAA added that 10th coaching spot but even with 10 we have struggled in so many areas. Hard to pinpoint just 1-2 areas of weakness.
I think it would be really tough to mess with the defense at this point. It finally appears they have development at all position groups on the defense. The best solution would be if Dawson was willing to coach ST and OLBs. It's been talked about how good he was at ST in the past. Then you can do whatever shuffling on offense that is needed.

It really just depends on if you want your DC to coach a position. To me it’s not as big of a deal for the OC to coach QBs because of the relationship that is necessary for your OC and QB.
I think your ST guy should coach a position. I think the best position is TE, followed by probably RB. TEs can split time with OL and WR, RBs are with QBs a lot of the time. TEs ant RBs are also a prime spot for GAs to get their foot and do some coaching because it’s not a huge room to coach.
Isn't Frost technically the OC though? I know there are additional OC responsibilities for Lubick, but Frost is the one calling the plays.

Isn't Frost technically the OC though? I know there are additional OC responsibilities for Lubick, but Frost is the one calling the plays.
I’m saying if we are going the route that the message boarders want, where Lubick calls the plays and Frost is more involved in all 3 phases.

I’m saying if we are going the route that the message boarders want, where Lubick calls the plays and Frost is more involved in all 3 phases.
Ah yeah, that would make sense. Do we think Frost would do that? Would it even be beneficial? Frost seems to know very little about STs. I'm not even sure if there's a coach on the roster that has ever coached kickers before. I guess Dawson might be that only one?

Ah yeah, that would make sense. Do we think Frost would do that? Would it even be beneficial? Frost seems to know very little about STs. I'm not even sure if there's a coach on the roster that has ever coached kickers before. I guess Dawson might be that only one?
I think Coach Frost should call plays if that’s what he thinks gives Nebraska the best chance to win. But if he is going to call plays then he should coach QBs and hire a STC that doesn’t coach a position. But understand that means he’s gotta fully delegate special teams, similar to how he does with defense.

I think Coach Frost should call plays if that’s what he thinks gives Nebraska the best chance to win. But if he is going to call plays then he should coach QBs and hire a STC that doesn’t coach a position. But understand that means he’s gotta fully delegate special teams, similar to how he does with defense.
From what we've heard, it sounds like a big problem on ST right now is Frost. Maybe this is all wrong, but it sounds like he's just not willing to give enough practice time up towards coaching it. I would hope that he is learning this is wrong and hiring a new ST coach would provide a stronger voice toward making it a priority.

For what it’s worth, after two of the bad QB performances this year, Frost spent more time during the week coaching the QB’s than Verdu. If my memory serves me correctly, this occurred the week before the Cockeye and Rutgers games, respectively. If those are the weeks that that occurred, I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about any correlation between who coaches QB’s and their performances.

This leads me to believe that if any change happens related to QB’s and special teams, the move will be to hire a full time special teams coach and have Frost coach QB’s.

I can also assure you that coaching style will be different. There will not be a 700 question test for the QB’s if Frost is coaching them. He is much more focused on “the big picture” as opposed to nitpicking intricacies like Verdu, and I think the way AM played against Cockeye and Rutgers reflects that.

For what it’s worth, after two of the bad QB performances this year, Frost spent more time during the week coaching the QB’s than Verdu. If my memory serves me correctly, this occurred the week before the Cockeyes and Rutgers games, respectively. If those are the weeks that that occurred, I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about any correlation between who coaches QB’s and their performances.

This leads me to believe that if any change happens related to QB’s and special teams, the move will be to hire a full time special teams coach and have Frost coach QB’s.

I can also assure you that coaching style will be different. There will not be a 700 question test for the QB’s if Frost is coaching them. He is much more focused on “the big picture” as opposed to nitpicking intricacies like Verdu, and I think the way AM played against Cockeyes and Rutgers reflects that.
Frost testing the waters coaching the QBs would make sense if he was having thoughts about letting Mario go. It's likely Mario could have been told before the Rutgers game that his help was no longer needed.

A member DM'd me reliable info that his house will be for sale shortly.
From what I have been told is there are likely 2 scenarios.....

1. Remove a full time coach and replace him with another for full time special teams. JMO the most logical move is coach V. I don't think it is because he is a bad coach. I just feel the ROI isn't there to justify a full time spot. Name I have been told that is in consideration is Busch. Busch is the best option. Stud recruiter and a good special teams coach.

2. Hire another analyst and promote Dawson/Held as co-special teams coordinators. This would be a G5 guy that is an up and comer that we can essentially double his pay by him being an analyst here vs being a full time coach. No clue on names, but the ginger from Miami of Ohio would be a nice add. Makes about 90k and has a top 10 special teams unit back to back years. Rut made about 150k.

FWIW option 2 is what I have been told is the more likely option.

I frankly would love to keep Mario on the staff as an analyst and bring in Busch. That would be a big boy move if he could keep Mario. Have to think making 150k-200k and lesser responsibilities wouldn't suck riding into retirement for him.

A member DM'd me reliable info that his house will be for sale shortly.
FWIW not for sale yet....

2. Hire another analyst and promote Dawson/Held as co-special teams coordinators. This would be a G5 guy that is an up and comer that we can essentially double his pay by him being an analyst here vs being a full time coach. No clue on names, but the ginger from Miami of Ohio would be a nice add. Makes about 90k and has a top 10 special teams unit back to back years. Rut made about 150k.
IMHO, this would suck donkey balls.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back