Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Latest expansion rumor…

So you're saying it is less than half? Interesting.
I'm saying that because he said they were taking the actual deal on the table yesterday and that people would be shocked. The numbers that were being floated were guesses at a half-share value but I think that was because the B1G has done half-shares before. Not sure any reporter knew what the deal really was.

Get it to 24 teams, FSU, Clemson, UNC & ND and you've got a 4 pod, 24-team super conference with a national footprint.

Maryland
PSU
Rutgers
UNC
FSU
Clemson

OSU
Michigan
MSU
Indiana
ND
Illinois

Nebraska
Cockeye
Wisconsin
Minnesota
NW
Purdoodoo

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Cal
Stanford
it would be hard for the B1G to pass on taking Virginia to take Clemson

Who knows. 4-team conference playoff? Regular season champion and look toward a 12-team national playoff?

Landscape is radically changed.
12 team playoff will only last until 2025 as it currently is set. Completely new playoff in 2026.

By dawdling, the remaining corner schools gave all of the leverage to the B12. What incentive does the B12 have no to offer them the same terms they offered CU? They literally have only one other option and that one has just been gutted.

you'd do 4 team conference championship with the rest of the league playing a game the same weekend as the semi finals based on record that year, how long it's been since they played, etc. it would be like the final week of the covid season
Ok, I like that. Kind of like what happened in 2020, the COVID year. The last week of the regular season is TBD then seeded late in the year, with the top four seeded into a bracket and the winners playing for the B1G title. Everyone else matches up against like competition (5v6, 7v8, etc. with some fudging to avoid rematches).

When would that TBD week take place? Currently the final week is usually Thanksgiving weekend when all the rivalry games are. Or do you move it to the weekend after that?

Interesting concept, Pepe. I think I like it. The only request I'd make is that pod standings and champions are based on pod games only, not all Big Ten games. I already hate that a division title can be decided because (for example) Cockeye beat Rutgers while Nebraska lost to Ohio State. Unequal outside-of-division games should not affect who the division champion is, IMO.

it would be hard for the B1G to pass on taking Virginia to take Clemson
You're free to insert your preference. I think 24 is probably the ideal number at the end of the day.

I get what you're saying. But in this scenario, I think the old guard (Ohio State, Michigan and original Big Ten) will provide a more united front against the newcomers (Pac 12 ex-pats) than the Big 8 old guard did when the Texas quartet came in. Big 8 teams were so sick/afraid of Nebraska's dominance that they all took cover under Texas' wing. That won't happen with this Big Ten/Pac 12 "merger."

When the California schools propose that all teams have to play in Birkenstocks, I don't think the lesser teams in the Big Ten will go along with that just to slow down OSU.
Big 8 screwed up big time when the Big 12 was formed. The 4 SWC programs didn't join the existing Big 8, instead all 12 teams formed a new conference. Big mistake that screwed up the conference from the get go. B1G won't make that mistake, the PAC teams are joining the B1G and will have to follow the rules, just like we did.

All this talk of the "Four Corner" schools...

I can't believe New Mexico is going to be elevated to the Big 12 out of all this. Lucky bastards.

You're free to insert your preference. I think 24 is probably the ideal number at the end of the day.
I agree with your 4x6 for 24 total reams.

I'd prefer Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona in the West. Substitute Stanford, Arizona St, Colorado, California in that order.

Notre Dame in the Midwest, Kansas as a substitute.

North Carolina, Virginia, Boston College in the East. Substitute Syracuse, Miami, Florida St, Duke, Clemson, or Georgia Tech in no particular order.

B1G should be able to take whoever they want in the West. SEC will compete for some of the SEC schools.

Ok, I like that. Kind of like what happened in 2020, the COVID year. The last week of the regular season is TBD then seeded late in the year, with the top four seeded into a bracket and the winners playing for the B1G title. Everyone else matches up against like competition (5v6, 7v8, etc. with some fudging to avoid rematches).

When would that TBD week take place? Currently the final week is usually Thanksgiving weekend when all the rivalry games are. Or do you move it to the weekend after that?

Interesting concept, Pepe. I think I like it. The only request I'd make is that pod standings and champions are based on pod games only, not all Big Ten games. I already hate that a division title can be decided because (for example) Cockeye beat Rutgers while Nebraska lost to Ohio State. Unequal outside-of-division games should not affect who the division champion is, IMO.
I think we're still limited to 12 games, so it would be the week after thanksgiving, with rivalry week moving 1 week before that. so you'd have an 9 or 10 game conference schedule with the last one being determined at the last minute. the only sticking point might be determining home/away that last week

I agree with your 4x6 for 24 total reams.

I'd prefer Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona in the West. Substitute Stanford, Arizona St, Colorado, California in that order.

Notre Dame in the Midwest, Kansas as a substitute.

North Carolina, Virginia, Boston College in the East. Substitute Syracuse, Miami, Florida St, Duke, Clemson, or Georgia Tech in no particular order.

B1G should be able to take whoever they want in the West. SEC will compete for some of the SEC schools.
I'd take Utah over Stanford or Cal if I had my way. Definitely prefer one of the Florida schools over BC but understand the argument for VA.

I think we're still limited to 12 games, so it would be the week after thanksgiving, with rivalry week moving 1 week before that. so you'd have an 9 or 10 game conference schedule with the last one being determined at the last minute. the only sticking point might be determining home/away that last week
Yes, I thought of that right after my above post. You'd have to make sure all teams get their fair share of home games.
Does that mean a lower seed might get to host one of those conference semifinal games? Maybe, unless the payout for making the conference tournament offsets the revenue generated by a home game.

Then what? How do you pick who plays in the B1G championship game? The two highest rated teams in playoff ratings? What if that's OSU and Michigan? Winning a pod championship is essentially meaningless?
With the expanded playoff I don't think you have a championship game. 1st place in the conference done effectively the same way the NFL does the #1 seed in the NFC/AFC.

Gotta love Colorado, pre-emptive strike to a not so great landing spot.

Left the Big 12 for the PAC, then Nebraska goes to the B1G and Missouri and A&M go to the SEC.
Left the PAC for the Big 12, then Washington and Oregon go to the B1G.

With the expanded playoff I don't think you have a championship game. 1st place in the conference done effectively the same way the NFL does the #1 seed in the NFC/AFC.
No way our tv partners are going to give that game up, especially when they don't have the playoff contract. Doesn't matter a whole lot the 12 team playoff is only for the 24 and 25 season, then it will be reworked.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back