Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

July Recruiting Thread… it’s almost gameday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water Bird GIF

30 recruits and 10 transfers is a mismatch mathematically. There is a good reason not to take ten transfers - the talent pool largely sucks. Ten transfers is the approach people take if they have to win next year or get fired, and it doesn't work that often.

The highest number of recruits by a school in the B1G or in the SEC last year was 28. Average was 21.6.
i was just looking at last years class and apparently we took 41 commits last year. i had no idea we took that many

if Rhule takes 30 commits this year then he will have almost completely turned over the roster in two years

i was just looking at last years class and apparently we took 41 commits last year. i had no idea we took that many

if Rhule takes 30 commits this year then he will have almost completely turned over the roster in two years
we didn't take 41 commits but 41 players - the 41 includes transfers

Let's say that Donnie gets Taumua and Brix. If you look at who he has added since December 1 last year with those two included:

Scott
Hood (I know)
Knaak
Gottula
Knutson
Sledge
Goldman (if he isn't on D)
Maciejczak (on D right now)
Pyle
Davidson
Peters
Borchers
Seagren
Taumua
Brix

I know lots of people deserve credit for these things, not just the position coach, but this is a pretty remarkable roster overhaul at OL

Let's say that Donnie gets Taumua and Brix. If you look at who he has added since December 1 last year with those two included:

Scott
Hood (I know)
Knaak
Gottula
Knutson
Sledge
Goldman (if he isn't on D)
Maciejczak (on D right now)
Pyle
Davidson
Peters
Borchers
Seagren
Taumua
Brix

I know lots of people deserve credit for these things, not just the position coach, but this is a pretty remarkable roster overhaul at OL
I know that it is easy to throw shade at Donnie and then no that he was only hired because of his nephew, but I refuse to believe that. He wasn't hired by the Bears because of his nephew. He was hired because one of the best OL coaches in the game (Harry Hiestand) saw something in him when he was a a GA for him at Notre Dame and wanted to work with him again. And I refuse to believe that Rhule valued 1 great player with a shitty OL over any other QB with a solid OL.

I still have a lot of faith in Raiola to be a very good OL coach. I trust @slattimer a lot and I know that he still has his concerns, but I firmly believe that, at a minimum, the jury is still out on him. I think we will see solid improvement in the OL this year and am hopeful that he can begin to establish some much needed depth on the OL.

I know that it is easy to throw shade at Donnie and then no that he was only hired because of his nephew, but I refuse to believe that. He wasn't hired by the Bears because of his nephew. He was hired because one of the best OL coaches in the game (Harry Hiestand) saw something in him when he was a a GA for him at Notre Dame and wanted to work with him again. And I refuse to believe that Rhule valued 1 great player with a shitty OL over any other QB with a solid OL.

I still have a lot of faith in Raiola to be a very good OL coach. I trust @slattimer a lot and I know that he still has his concerns, but I firmly believe that, at a minimum, the jury is still out on him. I think we will see solid improvement in the OL this year and am hopeful that he can begin to establish some much needed depth on the OL.
Nothing wrong with that. I just don't trust anything anymore and refuse to be surprised by short-sighted, stupid decisions occurring within the Nebraska football program.

Yeah I just can't believe that someone with this background would have NO ability to coach OL technique:
  • Played OL at #1 OL school in USA (Wisconsin)
  • Developed into B1G starter, then captain his SR yr
  • OL GA coach experience at ND w Harry Hiestand
  • NFL asst OL coach Chicago Bears w Harry Hiestand
I look at that and I'd be 99% confident that that personal is probably a pretty good teacher of OL technique. We can assume he learned it the right way and he had the right techniques reinforced in him post-playing career. The message boarders have always been 100% convinced that he cannot teach good OL technique and I've never understand how they reached that conclusion (???).

Now the recruiting thing was a fair critique, because he had never done it. But the proof was always gonna be in the pudding for that one. That was gonna be obvious after 2 years if he could do it or not. He seems to be able to do it. As I've said, it's not rocket science, it's 'can you outwork your competitors?' He's brought in some nice players and recruiting is ostensibly something he's still learning and will get better at.

So if I look at it objectively I don't really understand why 100% of our fans think this guy cannot coach OL or cannot be a good OL coach now or in the near future. (But I'M the dumb one and everyone else is smart, as the boards have established)

Yeah I just can't believe that someone with this background would have NO ability to coach OL technique:
  • Played OL at #1 OL school in USA (Wisconsin)
  • Developed into B1G starter, then captain his SR yr
  • OL GA coach experience at ND w Harry Hiestand
  • NFL asst OL coach Chicago Bears w Harry Hiestand
I look at that and I'd be 99% confident that that personal is probably a pretty good teacher of OL technique. We can assume he learned it the right way and he had the right techniques reinforced in him post-playing career. The message boarders have always been 100% convinced that he cannot teach good OL technique and I've never understand how they reached that conclusion (???).

Now the recruiting thing was a fair critique, because he had never done it. But the proof was always gonna be in the pudding for that one. That was gonna be obvious after 2 years if he could do it or not. He seems to be able to do it. As I've said, it's not rocket science, it's 'can you outwork your competitors?' He's brought in some nice players and recruiting is ostensibly something he's still learning and will get better at.

So if I look at it objectively I don't really understand why 100% of our fans think this guy cannot coach OL or cannot be a good OL coach now or in the near future.
Really interesting how something as simple as @slattimer pointing out elbow orientation during a block can torpedo confidence in a coach lol

Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

Really interesting how something as simple as @slattimer pointing out elbow orientation during a block can torpedo confidence in a coach lol
And BTW I'm not saying he's a great coach NOW. He's obviously early in his career.

I'm only saying, how are we 100% convinced that (a) he's terrible at all aspects of a CFB OL coach and (b) he'll always be terrible at every job requirement of a CFB OL coach?

That just seemed like a hell of a jump to make for a guy on his first day here (that's when 99% of our fans made their final judgement). By no means am I saying he's a great coach now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back