Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

If you were gifted $1 million... (2 Viewers)

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Could you live the rest of your life without having to go back to work?

I'm a bit young with some bills, but I think I could live fairly frugal a couple years while investing a good chunk and then live pretty comfortably after that.

Black5hirt

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
R.9e63a76ce5c533fcc4d08c3ac704428e

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Probably not at the ripe age of 35.

Assuming it’s a million with taxes never involved, I’d pay off my current property and not worry too much about my mortgage premium. With only property taxes and home insurance to worry about, I would live pretty fairly.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Could I? Yes. Would I? No.
I am just shy of 40, and that could provide enough yearly income in dividends to cover my day-to-day as I have no current debt.
But I wouldn’t retire right away. I’d work 5 more years to let that accumulate.

Mustangblood

Cornerback
Elite Member
No, but paying off all the current equipment and getting a couple other pieces that we really want on the farm would be great. Also being able to pay inputs with cash and not paying operating interest would sure be nice.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
The person "gifting" you $1M has to pay the taxes on anything over the Federal gifting amount (and no sane person signs up to pay more taxes), which leaves us with only one logical conclusion about how you're getting the $$$. Don't do it, Brother. Presuming you manage to commit the perfect crime and avoid jail, patricide will weigh heavy on you over time, regardless of the inherited windfall !!!

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
The person "gifting" you $1M has to pay the taxes on anything over the Federal gifting amount (and no sane person signs up to pay more taxes), which leaves us with only one logical conclusion about how you're getting the $$$. Don't do it, Brother. Presuming you manage to commit the perfect crime and avoid jail, patricide will weigh heavy on you over time, regardless of the inherited windfall !!!

1M is the lifetime gift amount

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Let's assume this is a hypothetical and we don't have to Jim it all up. And yes Jim has two uses here: 1) being an insufferable douche and 2) talking about tax implications

doublewing

Running Back
One million isn't as much as you think it is.

If I were a few years out from retirement as is, then yes - that would expedite things. If you're 20 years or more out from retirement age then it's not feasible even if you were single.

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
One million isn't as much as you think it is.

If I were a few years out from retirement as is, then yes - that would expedite things. If you're 20 years or more out from retirement age then it's not feasible even if you were single.

Even with savings account interest rates over 5%?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds