Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I would only seriously discuss this here: Are there coaches/staff whose politics alienate players?

It is often implied or sometimes outright stated that there are guys in North Stadium whose views on politics, including sensitive racial issues, have caused rifts with players. The implication is that it's primarily or even exclusively with black players. Duval gets brought up, and it's not hard to make that leap given his image and social media. I believe others have mentioned Davison in this vein, as well. I've also heard Frost and Chin are likely pretty conservative.

There are some very intelligent and informed people here who can discuss matters such as this without it becoming a total shitshow like it invariably would on RSS or even the JV 247 board (there's a thread there right now called "CANCER" that is dealing with this very topic not terribly but also not particularly well).

Some prefatory thoughts from me that I feel might help to frame the discussion:

1) The ubiquity of social media, and particularly the ability to have one's follows and re-tweets/postings viewed by the public, has brought a level of scrutiny to this sort of thing that didn't exist even ten years ago.

2) American civil society is in a worse state and is more polarized politically than it has been in the recent past. There are fewer people in the middle and generally less room for moderate positions and voices in our discourse. This phenomenon appears to be caused by and/or exacerbated by point one above.

3) One can be a conservative without being a bigot. The topic becomes more contentious when you start inserting Trump into the equation, so I'll refrain from making more definitive statements up front, because intelligent people disagree about this point. I will say this: I believe there are Trump supporters who are not subjectively racist and one would have to make structural arguments in order to classify them as such. Whether those appeal to you or not is a separate, very involved discussion.

4) Is there reason to think that Nebraska and its staff is unique in any of this? Do we have more conservatives and/or Trumpers in North Stadium? Isn't coaching generally a somewhat conservative set of men? Do the demographics and political leanings of the state make this more salient for black players who perceive problems? Do the largely white walk-on program and some of the other conservative players (e.g., Chris Walker has been photographed wearing a John Galt t-shirt at lift sessions) contribute at all?

5) One can believe a practice or phenomenon is misguided, wrong, and injurious to society while also recognizing that matters are unlikely to change in the near term. I imagine if this dynamic is, in fact, taking place, it would aggravate many people that players on the team are put off by this and some leave as a consequence. I also imagine that there would be an internal conflict over how this seemingly hinders the ability to produce a competitive football team these days.

I'm coming into this with a completely open mind and just want to hear from people I respect on the matter. So what do you all think? I'll shut up and listen for a while unless people have direct questions for me.
Phew, that's a long post. I would be lying if I said I read 100% of it. I would largely agree though that I think it could cause a rift. There are a lot of people out there than just can't stand someone with opposing political views. It can be a bit of a glass shattering moment when you learn what their political views are.

I would hope that the coaches are smart enough to mask their political views and never talk about them amongst the players. I believe simply abstaining from the conversation is much more widely accepted than choosing the wrong side in a lot of cases.

Football locker rooms are a great example of different cultures and beliefs being able to put differences aside in order to work together toward a common goal.

When that goal isn’t being met, all parties will look for any reason to blame why those goals aren’t being met.

All that to say this...win.

Let's be honest here. Only libs and stupid children care enough about other people's views and opinions to have it negatively impact their life.

There's a group, albeit small, of cons that are starting to mimic the strategy. Unfortunately for them nobody really gives a shit.

You'd like to think that we can all express ourselves and support whatever whacky shit we want to but reality has a cut-off on what's socially acceptable to believe at the moment. Frost should probably evolve accordingly or start winning some games.

Let's be honest here. Only libs and stupid children care enough about other people's views and opinions to have it negatively impact their life.

There's a group, albeit small, of cons that are starting to mimic the strategy. Unfortunately for them nobody really gives a shit.

You'd like to think that we can all express ourselves and support whatever whacky shit we want to but reality has a cut-off on what's socially acceptable to believe at the moment. Frost should probably evolve accordingly or start winning some games.

Give me a break, there are dipshits on both sides that care what party you’re affiliated with.

Give me a break, there are dipshits on both sides that care what party you’re affiliated with.
Obviously there are dipshits everywhere. I'm not talking about merely "caring".

You think a player would threaten to "sit out" because his coach is wearing the left's version of an OAN?

Give me a break

Obviously there are dipshits everywhere. I'm not talking about merely "caring".

You think a player would threaten to "sit out" because his coach is wearing the left's version of an OAN?

Give me a break
Fact is you have no idea, you’re making hyperbolic statements

Fact is you have no idea, you’re making hyperbolic statements
Well obviously I don't have a spreadsheet here but there's definite data supporting the fact that those that lean center-right are more apprehensive sharing their beliefs, political or otherwise, than those that are left-leaning.

I don't think what I'm opining is that far-fetched.

Well obviously I don't have a spreadsheet here but there's definite data supporting the fact that those that lean center-right are more apprehensive sharing their beliefs, political or otherwise, than those that are left-leaning.

I don't think what I'm opining is that far-fetched.
I'm middle lean right. I'll gladly tell you what I believe.

I lean right but I'm very shy about expressing myself.
In today’s society, I can understand that. That’s why I preach open minds and respectful conversation in these situations even if people disagree. It’s okay to disagree and shake hands after

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back