Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Golf Thread

For those of us that live in Nebraska, today we can officially begin logging our score into the GHIN HDCP System. Spring is officially here!

Sold my set of clubs today. Got 10 years out of those babies that I got on the cheap thanks to a Dick's employee only code shared on tMB.

Got fitted awhile back, wanted to get it done for awhile now, just never got around to it. Going to order my new irons tonight. Question for some of the more seasoned golfers @lee_carvallo_12 Thoughts on hard-stepping? At the fitting they recommended X-stiff shaft and said I could also hard-step my irons as well to help bring the ball down. Basically, I hit moon shots, like 150 foot apex with a 7 iron.
I've never done it, but I don't have super high clubhead speed anymore at 42. When I was younger I played heavier shafts to help lower my ball flight, 135g's.
Like others have said, though, you gotta get more shaft lean at impact (hands forward of clubhead at impact) to lower ball flight. @#HBD does this better than any iron player I have seen and he hits 7 irons that come out at eyelevel.

forward-shaft-lean.fw_.png

I've never done it, but I don't have super high clubhead speed anymore at 42. When I was younger I played heavier shafts to help lower my ball flight, 135g's.
Like others have said, though, you gotta get more shaft lean at impact (hands forward of clubhead at impact) to lower ball flight. @#HBD does this better than any iron player I have seen and he hits 7 irons that come out at eyelevel.

forward-shaft-lean.fw_.png
CB18E5DF-16F9-43E0-87FD-21EBF69B9945.gifC9C39FF3-C1E1-41CE-8184-0B888FB8A4B9.gif

let's face it, though, you couldn't get that new stealth driver over my head at 200 yards let alone a mountain like Jack "Hammer" Hamm.
That stealth plus driver is taking the place of my ole butter knife 1 iron.

Who other than Lee and I think @Link- played golf in high school/college?

I played in high school. My folks lived on a golf course growing up and decided a better option than taking me to some kind of daycare somewhere was to just buy me a golf pass for the summer. So I grew up on ole North 40 golf course in Lincoln.

In hindsight it was kind of a dick move for them to expect the pro shop to keep my ass in line but I ended up doing little odd jobs to earn range balls and got a good golf game out of the deal.

Problem is I hate the damn sport.

I’ll play 2-3 times a year and shoot high 70s low 80s.

I played in high school. My folks lived on a golf course growing up and decided a better option than taking me to some kind of daycare somewhere was to just buy me a golf pass for the summer. So I grew up on ole North 40 golf course in Lincoln.

In hindsight it was kind of a dick move for them to expect the pro shop to keep my ass in line but I ended up doing little odd jobs to earn range balls and got a good golf game out of the deal.

Problem is I hate the damn sport.

I’ll play 2-3 times a year and shoot high 70s low 80s.
My parents did the same thing and I feel the same way for the poor golf shop staff. Pawning 10-15 y/o me off on them all summer instead of paying a babysitter is bullshit (but I'm forever grateful they did). Plus at $100 per summer for an all-you-can-play junior membership, smart move.

Mom would drop me off on her way to work around 7:30am, I would hit balls and practice short game, then play with the 9AM old guy group. Eat a hotdog or something then hop in with the 1PM old guys group. Finish up and mom would pick me up at 5pm.

I would also pick the range, clean and gas up carts, etc.

Last edited:
My parents did the same thing and I feel the same way for the poor golf shop staff. Pawning 10-15 y/o me off on them all summer instead of paying a babysitter is bullshit (but I'm forever grateful they did). Plus at $100 per summer for an all-you-can-play junior membership, smart move.

Mom would drop me off on her way to work around 7:30am, I would hit balls and practice short game, then play with the 9AM old guy group. Eat a hotdog or something then hop in with the 1PM old guys group. Finish up and mom would pick me up at 5pm.

I would also pick the range, clean and gas up carts, etc.

Yup exactly the same way I was.

I’d have babe Ruth baseball at 8am every morning at Mahoney. I’d take off on my bike (mongoose with pegs back when mongooses were cool), with my baseball bag and a change of clothes. Finish up practice or a game at like 10 and ride my bike over to North40 where I left my clubs, change clothes - play the executive 9 then their back 9 par 3 course. Clean golf carts, go pick up range balls that went past/through the net. Get a hot dog, soda and a free jumbo bucket. Then play another 18 and go home.

I still have the thickest damn calluses on my hands from those summers.

Yup exactly the same way I was.

I’d have babe Ruth baseball at 8am every morning at Mahoney. I’d take off on my bike (mongoose with pegs back when mongooses were cool), with my baseball bag and a change of clothes. Finish up practice or a game at like 10 and ride my bike over to North40 where I left my clubs, change clothes - play the executive 9 then their back 9 par 3 course. Clean golf carts, go pick up range balls that went past/through the net. Get a hot dog, soda and a free jumbo bucket. Then play another 18 and go home.

I still have the thickest damn calluses on my hands from those summers.
I had the diamondback with front and back pegs with a rotor but, yep, a lot of similarities. Would go back.

Taylormade Sim Max vs Callaway Mavrik Subzero vs Ping G410 LST.

Rank'em

Taylormade Sim Max vs Callaway Mavrik Subzero vs Ping G410 LST.

Rank'em

Drivers are more about being in the correct shaft than the clubhead itself imo. If you're going to go ping, go for the G425 if you can. Then Callaway and then Taylormade.

Drivers are more about being in the correct shaft than the clubhead itself imo. If you're going to go ping, go for the G425 if you can. Then Callaway and then Taylormade.
1647830348861.gif

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back