Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Former Nebraska women's basketball player Ashley Scoggin files lawsuit against school (3 Viewers)

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member

1708364073734.jpeg 1708364135833.jpeg

This could turn out REALLY bad for Coach Amy and the rest of the season for Husker WBB

Former Nebraska women's basketball player Ashley Scoggin files lawsuit against school​

Former Nebraska women’s basketball player Ashley Scoggin filed a lawsuit against the school amid allegations of an inappropriate relationship with former assistant coach Chuck Love.
“It arises from a professional coach initiating a sexual relationship with a student-athlete on his team, and from the response of the University of Nebraska and its athletic leadership to the confirmation of that relationship,” the lawsuit read.
Love resigned from his position as associate head coach back in May of 2022 after a three-month suspension. Scoggin departed the team that February and currently plays for UNLV.
Scoggin also named Amy Williams, the current head of Nebraska, in the lawsuit. Not only that, athletic director Turd Alberts is also named.
“Although LOVE was married, LOVE pursued sexual relationships with students,” the lawsuit read. “
Before August 2021, WILLIAMS knew or should have known of LOVE’s pursuit of sexual relationships with students. The community of their coaching staff was tightknit, as was the community of coaching staff and student-athletes.”
Scoggin transferred into the program in 2020 from Salt Lake Community College.
“LOVE recruited ASHLEY to transfer to the Cornhusker women’s basketball team in 2020,” the lawsuit read. “ASHLEY joined the team on an athletic scholarship as a redshirt sophomore guard with a special talent for three-point shooting. Her scholarship included tuition, access to trainers, access to a sports psychologist, medical care, a housing allowance, access to a nutritionist and the “training table” for meals, as well as other benefits.”
Scoggin cited an interest in becoming a coach after her playing days. That’s where she worked with Love one-on-one during an internship with the athletic department.
Amid spending a lot of time with the coach, Scoggin was “groomed” into a “secret sexual relationship.”
“LOVE also began messaging ASHLEY directly through SnapChat,” the lawsuit read. “This included contacting her late at night and asking her to meet him for drinks. Sometimes LOVE would tell her that he was out drinking with WILLIAMS’ husband and he would invite ASHLEY to join them. ASHLEY did not accept the first several invitations to meet LOVE for drinks.
“When ASHLEY eventually did accept one of LOVE’s SnapChat invitations, they met in the parking lot of a Costco, after midnight. LOVE told ASHLEY he had just left the bars. They sat in the car and talked. LOVE chided ASHLEY about not bringing alcohol and asking her, if I leave for a different school, will you come with me?”

Knowing the coach wanted a sexual relationship, Scoggin allegedly was afraid of reporting Love.
“The relationship turned sexual,” the lawsuit read. “When LOVE wanted to have sex, he expected ASHLEY to be available and willing. Because LOVE was married and ASHLEY did not live alone, this involved sexual relations in different locations in University of Nebraska Department of Athletics facilities. It also included summoning ASHLEY to his hotel room when the team traveled to road games.”
The lawsuit also alleges coach Williams did nothing to aid Scoggin in this situation.
“On the night before the game (on February 17, 2022), members of the team and practice players created a ruse to successfully confirm and record on video ASHLEY’s presence in LOVE’s hotel room. This ruse included a practice player falsely representing himself as LOVE to a desk clerk in order to obtain LOVE’s room key; it ended in two team members confronting ASHLEY in LOVE’s room. They reported their findings and showed their video recording to WILLIAMS. LOVE instructed ASHLEY to deny anything improper, and he told her that he would talk to WILLIAMS.
“Upon receiving this report, WILLIAMS took no measures to protect ASHLEY’s confidentiality or to advise ASHLEY of her rights. She took no measures to meaningfully explore whether what had been reported to her was the result of an abuse of power, ethics and status by LOVE. She did not exercise leadership to address the emotionality of the situation, the confrontation that was reported to her, or the likelihood that her student-athlete was sexually exploited by her Associate Head Coach.”
The situation was then turned on Scoggin by Williams.
“The next day, WILLIAMS called a team meeting before the game. At the meeting (which lasted multiple hours), WILLIAMS invited the team members to interrogate both ASHLEY and LOVE. With WILLIAMS’ encouragement, the team members assailed ASHLEY, screaming and crying and using profanity. Both ASHLEY and LOVE denied anything improper. The team members then accused ASHLEY of lying. ASHLEY felt panicked, trapped and profoundly ashamed. She could not, in that setting with LOVE inches away and watching her, admit the truth of what had been happening.

“WILLIAMS cast ASHLEY in the role of a seducer and a liar. She allowed the players to berate and accuse ASHLEY for hours. She did not redirect or counsel the players that what they had seen may be the result of an abuse of power by her Associate Head Coach. WILLIAMS told the group that she would allow the team to decide how to handle the situation. Following the emotionality of the team, WILLIAMS suspended ASHLEY from the team and suspended LOVE with pay.”

MaxHuskers34

Linebacker
Elite Member
So basically…I consented to sex with Love but am now embarrassed and ashamed about it so I’m going to sue
Seems like an outdated take. I highly doubt all information in regard to this is in the above article. In the case of abuse of power, we have no idea if he threatened to pull her scholarship or what else he may have said to her. At the end of the day she was still pretty much a kid and he's a grown man who should know better. I'm glad that cancer of a man is no longer associated with the team if this is all true.

Last edited:

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Ahh yes, Im the victim card lawsuit.

I should be rewarded for all the money that goes into supporting me that no regular student would receive. In addition, I make no mention of denying the relationship because of the mere presence of this man and his relationship with his wife. I shall take no responsibility for my actions.

Good for her because UNL probably settles for half of what she’s claiming.

Scarlet ObsessioN

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Seems like an outdated take. I highly doubt all information in regard to this is in the above article. In the case of abuse of power, we have no idea if he threatened to pull her scholarship or what else he may have said to her. At the end of the day she was still pretty much a kid and he's a grown man who should no better. I'm glad that cancer of a man is no longer associated with the team if this is all true.
Ehhhh sounds like she would have been 20-21. If this was in high school? Sure.. I'd be with you.

I'll draw the line on a juco transfer that was in college for 2 years and out of high school for 3 years before she stepped foot on campus.

I don't believe anyone forced her to have sex with the dude. If she went to Williams before she slept with him and she did nothing then you could have grounds for a lawsuit.

Too many people want to shift blame instead of taking responsibility for their actions.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
I don't buy the part that Williams should have known becuase she had a close relationship with Love. It's not like this stuff just comes up in casual converstatoin during coaches meetings. It later talks about the lengths they went to to keep it secret. Meeting in parking lots after midnight, Snapchatting, etc. I'm not sure how Williams instinctually "should have known" about all that.

On the other hand, the part where Williams invited the whole team to berate/interroage/confront Love and Scoggin in person seems like a bit much. How did she think that was a good idea?

Last edited:

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
7ri1xcc.jpg

N4XC5v0_d.webp

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Is this our first official B1G sex scandal? We're finally fully vested in the B1G lyfe!

Seriously, this is pretty disturbing stuff. The he said / she said nature of these things doesn't really matter due to coach/player dynamics. What took place was wrong. Period. And the University of Nebraska is going to pay for this. How much and with who's job remains to be seen, but they're going to take a hit, IMO.

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Lawsuit is going to paint the most egregious actions by the defendant (Love). Facts are she WAS sleeping with the dude, two consenting adults, for who knows how long. If she can prove that he 'groomed' her AND Coach Williams husband knew what was going on (we can speculate that he would have told Amy) Love is in a bad spot. Coach Williams could be in a bad spot depending on how she handled the situation. I have second hand knowledge that the team meeting spoken about in the article did happen as described. Love and Ashley denied everything even when presented with video evidence of Ashley in his bed. Video is not available. Amy did NOT handle the situation correctly at all. I have no knowledge of conversation between Turd and Amy before or after the meeting. I doubt she contacted Turd at the time b/c the team was about to play Penn St.

Last edited:

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
So basically…I consented to sex with Love but am now embarrassed and ashamed about it so I’m going to sue
Clearly inappropriate given the coach/player dynamic but I’m not sure how an adult is “groomed” or how that’s illegal.

It’s gotta be spelled out in the CoC that coaches can’t have sexual relationships with their players, right?

MaxHuskers34

Linebacker
Elite Member
Clearly inappropriate given the coach/player dynamic but I’m not sure how an adult is “groomed” or how that’s illegal.

It’s gotta be spelled out that coaches can’t have sexual relationships with their players, right?
It violates their "Code of Ethics and Morals" that they agree to when coaching Student-Athletes. At least that would be my understanding.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

It’s gotta be spelled out that coaches can’t have sexual relationships with their players, right?
Agreed. Im not saying it was necessarily right but the fact of the matter is it was two consenting adults. No matter how inappropriate it may have been, given the circumstances.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
It violates their "Code of Ethics and Morals" that they agree to when coaching Student-Athletes. At least that would be my understanding.
Right, so that part should be settled.

I suppose Scoggins will attempt to prove she was coerced/pressured into the relationship?

Hard to take grooming allegations seriously between consenting adults but feeling pressured to fuck your coach bc he helps determine your playing time and status as a Basketball player seems reasonable.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Is this our first official B1G sex scandal? We're finally fully vested in the B1G lyfe!

Seriously, this is pretty disturbing stuff. The he said / she said nature of these things doesn't really matter due to coach/player dynamics. What took place was wrong. Period. And the University of Nebraska is going to pay for this. How much and with who's job remains to be seen, but they're going to take a hit, IMO.

I don’t think anyone important will get canned.

MaxHuskers34

Linebacker
Elite Member
Right, so that part should be settled.

I suppose Scoggins will attempt to prove she was coerced/pressured into the relationship?

Hard to take grooming allegations seriously between consenting adults but feeling pressured to fuck your coach bc he helps determine your playing time and status as a Basketball player seems reasonable.
Your last statement is where my thoughts go. It definitely feels that would be the wrongdoing here. Along with the meeting that Williams held. That's fucked up.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds