Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Fong bomb 1/9 (2 Viewers)

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
They need the guy who can come in and be the day-one starter. Who on the roster now is the man? I wouldn’t take anyone at RB that I didn’t think could start the 1st game next year.

A portal RB will have used up their only free transfer. This kid will probably eat up a scholarship for three years whether he plays or not.
So you’re saying you wouldn’t take this guy if he wants in?

Nobody is jizzing over the guy we just know how bad we need depth

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
So you’re saying you wouldn’t take this guy if he wants in?

Nobody is jizzing over the guy we just know how bad we need depth
How much “depth” do you need? You already have Ervin, Johnson, Yant, Stepp, the incoming freshman, plus Belt. They need a RB that can come in and start. If you can’t get that, I wouldn’t take anyone.

I would use the scholarship elsewhere on someone that is likely to contribute over just adding depth at RB.

Cookiemonster

PIIHB
Elite Member
How much “depth” do you need? You already have Ervin, Johnson, Yant, Stepp, the incoming freshman, plus Belt. They need a RB that can come in and start. If you can’t get that, I wouldn’t take anyone.

I would use the scholarship elsewhere on someone that is likely to contribute over just adding depth at RB.
How do we know he will end up being depth?
He is still young, he has put on good mass. Rb’s can really come out of nowhere. It happens in college and nfl every year.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
He is still young, he has put on good mass. Rb’s can really come out of nowhere. It happens in college and nfl every year.
We don't know how he will pan out, but that's kind of the point. If you're going to use one of a now a limited number of scholarships on him in a year where you need to win 7-8 games, you probably need to be more certain about his ability to contribute.

Maybe the coaching staff is, but it seems like there are more pressing needs at other positions and maybe more likely starting caliber RBs in the portal.

I'll acknowledge he might show up and be great and I'll be "wrong", but it doesn't make sense to take him as a longer term play, imo

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
By that logic, maybe one of the 5 RBs we currently have with better production than him will turn out next year. Unless you have been watching him in practice this last year at aTm, nothing about this guy should get us excited.

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
Maybe, but personally I wouldn’t use a scholarship on a 5th string RB with 13 yards in two years. He was passed up on the depth chart by two true freshman. That doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member

Ervin coming off major knee inury.

Johnson looked like doodoo until last year. Injury prone.

Yant former walk-on with work ethic and discipline issues.

Stepp could be inline for a medical hardship

Belt lols

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
We don't know how he will pan out, but that's kind of the point. If you're going to use one of a now a limited number of scholarships on him in a year where you need to win 7-8 games, you probably need to be more certain about his ability to contribute.

Maybe the coaching staff is, but it seems like there are more pressing needs at other positions and maybe more likely starting caliber RBs in the portal.

I'll acknowledge he might show up and be great and I'll be "wrong", but it doesn't make sense to take him as a longer term play, imo
Maybe the coaches know? I dunno

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
Ervin coming off major knee inury.

Johnson looked like doodoo until last year. Injury prone.

Yant former walk-on with work ethic and discipline issues.

Stepp could be inline for a medical hardship

Belt lols
Exactly. That’s why you don’t need to add a guy just for depth. You need a #1 back.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Maybe the coaches know? I dunno
Maybe. I'll grant that maybe they crooted the kid and feel really fucking good and he just had the bad luck of being behind 2 ~1,000 yard rushers. But he looks like a 5th guy we'll have who could be a good back but maybe isn't.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
The thing about RBs is that sometimes the light just turns on.....Newby was a pretty pedestrian back until he got a shot to be the main guy and he turned out to be half way decent.

Maybe that will happen for Rahmir. But with the portal going the way it is going then QBs and RBs can all be considered rentals at this point. If a guy comes in a performs...great. if not we find a different one off the sales rack.

Program development skills are now taking a backseat to program reshuffling skills. Whoever can plug holes with the portal and get a quick turnaround on the new guys buying in and gelling will be the success stories for a while I guess. (Example Mel Tucker)

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds