Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Dan Patrick on Urban Meyer/Nebraska (1 Viewer)

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
I think Urban flames out in a "the game has passed him by" kind of way. That will happen at some point. You just hope it doesn't happen here.

That's why Saban is so insane on so many levels. That dude changes with the times and he's on the cutting edge at age 70.

But most coaches just lose 'it.' Riley - the game passed him by around 2007. Panini, game passed him by around 2013. Every coach loses it. Urban will at some point. Saban is just the 1 in a million that didn't.

That's why it was funny that LSU hired Panini in 2020. He was done with in CFB. Urban will have this moment too you just hope it doesn't happen here. I mean, Spurrier had basically nothing left when he came back from the NFL.
I think the game passing them by has a lot to do with the situation they are in and the coaches they surround themselves with. Saban’s track record allows him to reload with top level assistants that have allowed Alabama to continuously evolve.

Osborne was 60 when he retired - coming off 60-3 run with 3 out of 4 MNC. His approach evolved significantly in the latter part of his career.

Urban doesn’t strike me as the person who accepts losing and would be content with the status quo. If he flames out, I would be more apt to say it would be because of something off the field rather than on the field. I also think he would surround himself with competent assistant coaches.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
I think Urban flames out in a "the game has passed him by" kind of way. That will happen at some point. You just hope it doesn't happen here.

That's why Saban is so insane on so many levels. That dude changes with the times and he's on the cutting edge at age 70.

But most coaches just lose 'it.' Riley - the game passed him by around 2007. Panini, game passed him by around 2013. Every coach loses it. Urban will at some point. Saban is just the 1 in a million that didn't.

That's why it was funny that LSU hired Panini in 2020. He was done with in CFB. Urban will have this moment too you just hope it doesn't happen here. I mean, Spurrier had basically nothing left when he came back from the NFL.
Urban will never lose it lol. You serious, Clarke?

He smoked Saban‘s ass every time or almost every time they played

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Urban will never lose it lol
pulp-fiction-vincent-vega.gif

You may be right though

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member
Also, I’m defending Moos here…and I’m happy we brought Turd in as AD because he truly cares about Nebraska over Moos, who was looking for his last job…but Moos is the first AD since I started seriously watching husker athletics (2001 I was 12) and he made the best hires he could in all 3 mens sports.

Baseball could be debatable…but the B1G is garbage in baseball and I overall approved of the Bolt hire, but at the time nobody could disagree with the Frost and Hoiberg hires. Hell I called the Hoiberg hire 3 years before it happened on RSS when he tanked with the Bulls.
Moos also had almost nothing to do with any of the hires. He was a figurehead that appealed to our masses. A good 'ol boy rancher with a hint of Devaney.

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I hadn't heard that. Is there more background on this? Like, why we weren't interested in him?
I’ve heard that before as well. I believe he has Lincoln ties and wanted the job but never even got an interview if I remember correctly

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
He’s a top..5? 10? all time college football coach. He’s a disaster as a human being. Like I find Briles more likeable than him. But he’s an all time great.
Just had this convo with a co-worker:

It appears that successful football coaches fall into 1 of 2 camps:

1 - Genuinely principled and clean cut good boy

2 - Absolute fucking SCUMBAGS that win anyways and no one cares

That being said - I don't care what my coach does outside of football time. Win baby.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
And I applaud him for making those coaches say no. Don’t ask a conference rival (Wisconsin) who we should hire. (Riley) like Eichorst did…hands down easily the worst AD.

Even SP shot for the moon, but failed miserably 10-15x till we landed on Callahan.
"Eichorst is a fucking pussy" - truest words Bo ever spoke.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

Urban invented the RPO...he ain't getting left in the dust.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I hadn't heard that. Is there more background on this? Like, why we weren't interested in him?
That pussy Eichorst got rid of Bo because he was too abrasive...we were never going abrasive. It was always going to be a weak sapling like Riley.

Eichorst couldn't hire Gundy because Eichorst couldn't HANDLE Gundy.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Urban invented the RPO...he ain't getting left in the dust.
Urbz and Dick Rod are pretty much the Godfathers of modern CFB. Malzahn to me is one of the innovators of marrying Wing-T principles and the spread. And then Kelly with saying fuck you, we'll just go so fast you can't get your calls in.

Urbz - Tight Zone, Power/Counter Gun O

Dick Rod - Inside/Outside Zone Gun Option

Malzahn - Wing-T - Belly, Power, Bucksweep in the Gun

Chip Kelly - take Dick Rod's shit and go as fast a fucking possible.

Almost every spread offense is going to fall into those categories, and it's getting more diverse by the year with the inclusion of RPOs and now you've got military academy traditional concepts of triple and mid triple from the gun.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Urbz and Dick Rod are pretty much the Godfathers of modern CFB. Malzahn to me is one of the innovators of marrying Wing-T principles and the spread. And then Kelly with saying fuck you, we'll just go so fast you can't get your calls in.

Urbz - Tight Zone, Power/Counter Gun O

Dick Rod - Inside/Outside Zone Gun Option

Malzahn - Wing-T - Belly, Power, Bucksweep in the Gun

Chip Kelly - take Dick Rod's shit and go as fast a fucking possible.

Almost every spread offense is going to fall into those categories, and it's getting more diverse by the year with the inclusion of RPOs and now you've got military academy traditional concepts of triple and mid triple from the gun.
If it wasn't already in ink that we were getting Urban - Malzahn is a second tier name that I'd never be sad about.

But I don't have to think about that, because we signed Urban.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds