Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Dad Thread (3 Viewers)

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Second question - how does anyone have more than 2 kids?
200.gif

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
My last was definitely colicky, and had to get tubes put in because of so many ear infections. Kid was always sick or crying. The first 3 were nothing like that. If my son was first, he would have been the only. But he's pretty chill now as a 2 year old, besides the sneaky little fucker coming in and jumping in our bed in the middle of the night. Which goes back to my wife coddling him....put his ass back in his bed...
“put his ass back in his bed”

Amen to that. Do a favor for all of you, including the kid.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Thread should probably pinned.

Have 2 under 2 in a small house. Sleeping is a nightmare right now. How did any of you do it? Their rooms are close to each other and if one wakes up the other is up. Suggestions besides get a better job and get a bigger house?
This will sound incredibly counter intuitive now…but here goes. Enjoy every crazy minute. Reframe it in your mind. As a father of three with the youngest being 17 now and while they are all great kids, you will miss those crazy younger years a lot.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
This also may be impossible, but TRY to make your wife allow the kids to cry a bit. You’ll know when your kid really needs you. My wife has babied and tries to immediately fix every cry or fuss they make.

I on the other hand will walk away from tantrums, don’t go running to them unless they are really hurt, and make them figure some things out on their own.

When I have my girls by myself they are awesome and barely fuss. Mom gets home or mom has them alone and they are whiny, needy, and can’t do a thing by themselves. Mom walks in the door and it’s like a switch gets flipped.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Because my wife likes the sex with me.

I have 4 kids. 8,6,4,2. Looking back, my first 3 were easy babies. My last kid was a nightmare. first year of life...complete asshole. Did not sleep much that year. It gets better. But I don't sleep much the way it is, so it wasn't a big deal.

My suggestion...wear their ass out until they crash hard...
Yup... We had them reverse of this.... My oldest was the worst, middle was the best and my boy and the youngest was good sleeper/eating etc...

Yeah wear them out and keep a schedule to the best you can

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
We have 4 kids (2 boys, 2 girls). The boys shared one bedroom and the girls one. It was crazy but we had a small mortgage and we had toys everywhere. Upgraded to a larger house where each had their own bedrooms. Now that they are grown. I do wish we had stuck it out in the smaller house. My mortgage would have been paid off. Take the good with the bad but know that it will get better…..

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
This also may be impossible, but TRY to make your wife allow the kids to cry a bit. You’ll know when your kid really needs you. My wife has babied and tries to immediately fix every cry or fuss they make.

I on the other hand will walk away from tantrums, don’t go running to them unless they are really hurt, and make them figure some things out on their own.

When I have my girls by myself they are awesome and barely fuss. Mom gets home or mom has them alone and they are whiny, needy, and can’t do a thing by themselves. Mom walks in the door and it’s like a switch gets flipped.
Best advice I got was from a mother of a player I coached. We were having trouble with one, and the wife rushing to her side and not letting the kid cry it out a little. She said her oldest was terrible...But they let him cry it out....Each night was less and less crying, until eventually, it was very minimal. Said the first few days was awful....long periods of crying, but worth it in the end.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
We have 4 kids (2 boys, 2 girls). The boys shared one bedroom and the girls one. It was crazy but we had a small mortgage and we had toys everywhere. Upgraded to a larger house where each had their own bedrooms. Now that they are grown. I do wish we had stuck it out in the smaller house. My mortgage would have been paid off. Take the good with the bad but know that it will get better…..
Yeah, people all over the world & for most of human history have had more kids in less space. Having the extra room is a nice convenience, for sure, but it's by no means a requirement.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
I've got 3 daughters - 6, 3 and 1.

Along with sound machines, sleep sacks have been life savers for us. We went through a variety of them - each of our kids slept better in different suits. But they were complete game changers for us.

I'll be honest, our oldest was a rough sleeper, but our second 2 have been super easy when it comes to sleeping. Heck, our 1 year old (actually 18 months) has been sleeping through the night since she was 3 months. We don't even have a bed time routine for her really - change her diaper, put pajamas on, put sleep sack on and hand her a bottle (she feeds herself). At 10, I sneak in with another bottle and put it in the corner of her crib. At some point in the middle of the night, she wakes up and feeds herself again.

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
Can’t resist throwing in a few thoughts from the “been there/done that” angle……

* the deal about letting them cry some things out instead of being that helicopter parent who rushes in at every little thing. Don’t do that. Yore conditioning the kid for later in life when they’ll need to problem-solve on their own.

* ya better keep yore marriage in mind as priority #1. These kids may try to play mom against dad (and visa versa) but the bottom line is that they will have a strong sense of being and feel loved and safe when mom & dad are a unified force.

* Listen up here (especially moms) Yore kids need both of their parents to be their parents. They don’t need you to be their friend. They’ll have plenty of friends their own age. This “I wanna be my kid’s friend” is BS.

* Everyone reminds us that some part of raising kids may suck, especially in the earlier yrs, and it can be hard. But it does indeed go so very fast. I walked my daughter down the aisle 11 yrs ago and she now has two daughters of her own (ages 8 & 5) and an awesome husband.

* Good luck & Best wishes to you all. Yore gonna need it……,😂

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
White noise type machine can be your friend. Get something that helps cover up the other noises. Heck I know parents who back in the day would put a fan in their kids rooms to cover up outside noises. Didn't even have it blowing on the kid, just had it making that whirrrrrrrr noise so they wouldn't wake up crying when someone shut a door, phone rang or a dog barked.

Also like others have said wear their asses out!!! Keep them moving so they are tired and sleep well.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds