Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Casey Thompson Injury (2 Viewers)

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Dean says nothing to see here, he is just letting it rest for the next 6 weeks.

Yeah no biggy our QB can’t throw or do receiver work with his new wideouts this summer
its always sunny in philadelphia nothing to see here GIF by HULU

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Six weeks means he’d be throwing in June
as long as he can make that Swing Pass to the RB we are golden. Even though he tried hundreds of times in games it just didn't seem like Martinez could get that one down. Not for a lack of trying by Frost though. Nice of Corch Scotch to show faith in Adrian even when it was obvious he struggled with that pass.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
as long as he can make that Swing Pass to the RB we are golden. Even though he tried hundreds of times in games it just didn't seem like Martinez could get that one down. Not for a lack of trying by Frost though. Nice of Corch Scotch to show faith in Adrian even when it was obvious he struggled with that pass.
The "swing" pass thing on RSS drives me crazy. It's not a big deal, but there is a common football vernacular out there and it grinds the fuck out of my gears.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The "swing" pass thing on RSS drives me crazy. It's not a big deal, but there is a common football vernacular out there and it grinds the fuck out of my gears.
I admit I don't know what the hell to call that dam Pass Play that Frost keeps trying to get to work for the RBs. But I do know enough to know that it hasn't worked very well and that's not from a lack of trying. Not sure where his creative offense from UCF has gone.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I admit I don't know what the hell to call that dam Pass Play that Frost keeps trying to get to work for the RBs. But I do know enough to know that it hasn't worked very well and that's not from a lack of trying. Not sure where his creative offense from UCF has gone.
Attached quick/perimeter screen...bubble, arrow, now...lots of ways to call it. I see it most commonly called a perimeter screen.

I guess it really grinds my gears because like these dipshit announcers that call everything zone read if it's a run action out of the gun, it just bugs the shit out of me. Call it what it is. Especially dudes that played and are announcers...

But if you're specifically talking back out of the backfield, okay, then swing fits the narrative. The taters on RSS call every pass off of run action that hits the perimeter a swing screen. Doesn't matter if it's a bubble, an arrow, a now, or any other of the 47,000 ways you can run a perimeter screen off of zone action a "swing" screen.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
What do you define as working? I will say Martinez 1st and 2nd year it wasn't working. Last year and the year prior it was a successful concept attached to plays. For the longest time he would throw it to the wrong shoulder and fuck up the timing. That and not blocking well the perimeter lead it to be a failure.

It was very rarely called as a stand alone play. It was always attached as a box count RPO where we would read the apex defender and throw off him. We ran the piss out of a dart with the bubble tagged to it 2 years ago.

When you run it this way you either force teams to go 1 high or they have to give you something. If they give you the box you have to be able to run it for 5yds +. If they give you the perimeter you need to get your back/WR on the bubble 1-1 with the safety every time. You have to basically hit your layups. You do that you force teams to either take death of a thousand small cuts or they have to go 1 high and that can open vertical passing game up.

Nebraska's offense is conceptually very very good. Problem is we have yet to have a unit where part of the unit wasn't worst in the conference except maybe the 1st year. We had no talent at WR 2nd year or 3rd year. RBs sucked 3rd and 4th year. Our OTs were some of the worst in the country last year. Last years offense would have been intriguing with solid OL play.

You get to the point where your worst spot is serviceable and this offense will take off.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
What do you define as working? I will say Martinez 1st and 2nd year it wasn't working. Last year and the year prior it was a successful concept attached to plays. For the longest time he would throw it to the wrong shoulder and fuck up the timing. That and not blocking well the perimeter lead it to be a failure.

It was very rarely called as a stand alone play. It was always attached as a box count RPO where we would read the apex defender and throw off him. We ran the piss out of a dart with the bubble tagged to it 2 years ago.

When you run it this way you either force teams to go 1 high or they have to give you something. If they give you the box you have to be able to run it for 5yds +. If they give you the perimeter you need to get your back/WR on the bubble 1-1 with the safety every time. You have to basically hit your layups. You do that you force teams to either take death of a thousand small cuts or they have to go 1 high and that can open vertical passing game up.

Nebraska's offense is conceptually very very good. Problem is we have yet to have a unit where part of the unit wasn't worst in the conference except maybe the 1st year. We had no talent at WR 2nd year or 3rd year. RBs sucked 3rd and 4th year. Our OTs were some of the worst in the country last year. Last years offense would have been intriguing with solid OL play.

You get to the point where your worst spot is serviceable and this offense will take off.
Unfortunately, you will get the argument in your 4th paragraph that those issues are derived from a lack of recruiting success, lack of coaching skills, and/or lack of assistant coaching skills which then ties back to Frost. While some of that may be true, there are numerous replays of guys simply executing horrifically. Again, some will say that is poor coaching, while some like myself will say that at some point guys just need to be high level athletes and execute their assignments. Pretty easy to execute WR blocking in pick up football, yet D1 WRs have an issue with it for some reason.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

Thanks for the 411. I think Frost's Offense could work very well for us in the B1G but the execution issues and talent problems you mention have prevented us from seeing it at it's full capacity. I love the concept of fast players in space creating mismatches. Speed kills, but unfortunately mistakes have hurt us.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member

I am not smart enough to know if it's just a shitty RB run game, poor ball placement on the perimeter passing or bad perimeter blocking, but we have shown a remarkable ability to brick our layups since 2019. I think there's something to how people play zone against us, but not totally sure.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds