Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Bourbon/spirit trade and info sharing thread

Added a Joseph Magnus Murray Hill Club and Penelope Rio to the Collection tonight
Murray Hill is my favorite Jos Magnus.

I nabbed a Penelope Rosé finish yesterday. I was after this bottle a year or so ago. Bought it online. It was their last bottle and they broke it during packing. Sent me a bottle I already had and told them not to send as I already had it. Ended up letting me keep it and fully refunding me so it worked out.

I was at a shop that had five Elijah Craig 28 years on the shelves for anyone to touch. Asking $325 for each, though. I did get an Angels Envy that was in a new bottle shape. No idea if it’s just a new bottle and same whiskey or not. Then I got a Jefferson’s Ocean Wheated.

Last week I picked up a LE Rabbit Hole that had fancy art on it. Couple others too but blanking on it.

Murray Hill is my favorite Jos Magnus.

I nabbed a Penelope Rosé finish yesterday. I was after this bottle a year or so ago. Bought it online. It was their last bottle and they broke it during packing. Sent me a bottle I already had and told them not to send as I already had it. Ended up letting me keep it and fully refunding me so it worked out.

I was at a shop that had five Elijah Craig 28 years on the shelves for anyone to touch. Asking $325 for each, though. I did get an Angels Envy that was in a new bottle shape. No idea if it’s just a new bottle and same whiskey or not. Then I got a Jefferson’s Ocean Wheated.

Last week I picked up a LE Rabbit Hole that had fancy art on it. Couple others too but blanking on it.
EC 28? If it’s $325, I hope you bought a few! You’d be lucky to get EC 23 for that price, and in some places it’d be ha d to get EC 18 for that. How do you like the Jeffersons? I have just had so many, and like so few. I like their cheap stuff more than their limited stuff. The only limited I like is the Tropics, but haven’t bought it as the price keeps coming down.
The Angel’s Envy is likely an LE, but they only have Cask Strength and then a 3 pack set of 375s that are limited as far as ai know. Have heard great things both those though. Not a fan of their standard stuff, but have hard great things about the other bottles.

EC 28? If it’s $325, I hope you bought a few! You’d be lucky to get EC 23 for that price, and in some places it’d be ha d to get EC 18 for that. How do you like the Jeffersons? I have just had so many, and like so few. I like their cheap stuff more than their limited stuff. The only limited I like is the Tropics, but haven’t bought it as the price keeps coming down.
The Angel’s Envy is likely an LE, but they only have Cask Strength and then a 3 pack set of 375s that are limited as far as ai know. Have heard great things both those though. Not a fan of their standard stuff, but have hard great things about the other bottles.
Also, For price $100 difference, the Murray Hill blows the Cigar a blend out of the water for Magnus. Forgot that I did get a EC toasted rye, which is leaps and bounds better than the EC toasted bourbon.

Goodness.. also getting the OF 117 Series Rum Cask finish this week.
I would recommend to anyone to get into a local bourbon club (especially if it’s through a store) can be very beneficial. I may be lucking into a OF President’s Choice very soon as well.

It was a typo… supposed to say 18. I have an 18 that I got in 2015 for $175. Not interested in buying another for about twice the price.

I’m the opposite on Jefferson’s but I haven’t tried a small batch since 2015 vintage. Didn’t like it. I have most bottles between v2 and v17 some are misses. I think v3 is the best one. The chef collaborations have been fine. As good as Bardstown Bourbon Co and Barrell’s. The Presidential drams are fantastic though. I have a 16 year, and have tried 17, 18 and 23 years. All are good.

I hosted an event at Jack Rose (use to have the largest whiskey selection in the US before Covid but sold a lot of it to pay their staff… I supported them in buying some) for my team and their “Advocate” was big on the presidential. Made me try the 18 year and he was right. These were the last two bottles he brought out for the evening. The Vintage Rye is OG Willett. Before it reopened. I think there is a special release of Willett that reused the bottle and label but this was from way back when. It was good but I liked Jefferson better, and I’m a huge Willett fan, perhaps biased towards it.

1722610959634.jpeg
I haven’t tried Tropics.

Re Angels Envy, I have a Cask Strength that I paid probably $200 for 6-7 years or so ago. Fancy box. This wasn’t that. I’ll take another look at it soon and see if I can find out what it is. I looked at their site and they weren’t advertising anything. I wonder if it’s a store pick or something.

Also, For price $100 difference, the Murray Hill blows the Cigar a blend out of the water for Magnus. Forgot that I did get a EC toasted rye, which is leaps and bounds better than the EC toasted bourbon.
Funny story about cigar blend (which I also like especially with a cigar) but at the time they were limited and you could only buy a max of like 4 directly from the distillery. My friend wrote a script for release day to try and quickly log in and buy a bottle. There were no checks on their end and each bot bought 4 bottles and he ended up with 12. They let him return 8 but he was freaking out. “Great, I just spent $2500”.

I’ve not tried the EC toasted rye. I wasn’t a fan of their toasted bourbon. I think most of the toasted bottles have been misses for me except for Michters. I do like regular EC and of course EC Barrel Strength.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back