Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

August recruiting thread (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I suppose it's possible, and definitely an interesting bit of information. However, it's worth noting Coen was hired in early January of this year. Maybe it took a little bit for him to leverage that relationship with Saunders's father, but there was plenty of heat with Saunders and Nebraska long after that.

Moreover, it's not like Manske got an offer and then we kept hearing about Saunders being the presumptive favorite for the class. It felt very much like Manske had an excellent performance and switch flipped.
I think Kentucky went ahead for Saunders after his junior day visit April 7. April 10 article (the bolded part isn't me - the author did that):

Saunders, a class of 2025 four-star quarterback out of Bishop McDevitt (PA), has been building a sound relationship with Coen over the last few months. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound signal caller received an offer from Coen and Kentucky in late January during his Junior Day visit. Saunders returned to Lexington over the weekend for another visit where he was able to sit down and talk with Coen and other members of the coaching staff to watch spring practice and tour the facilities.

“(Coen is) always great with me. I’ve known him a long time,” Saunders told KSR on Monday. “We were just having fun, watching a lot of film and watching practice. He’s told me that I’d be a great fit for what he wants to do on offense and he loves how I play.”

“Coach Liam and Coach Woody [Scott Woodward], the other coaches, the offense they are going to run, the culture they have, the enthusiastic fans. I like all of it,” Saunders added. “They have a great program and I could see myself there easily.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

Hats off to the Husker coaches for identifying a talented player before the rest of the services boosted him all the way to 5 Star Status. I don't question these coaches on their evaluation of players. Nice having trained eyes that are passionate about breaking down recruits film.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think Kentucky went ahead for Saunders after his junior day visit April 7. April 10 article (the bolded part isn't me - the author did that):

Saunders, a class of 2025 four-star quarterback out of Bishop McDevitt (PA), has been building a sound relationship with Coen over the last few months. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound signal caller received an offer from Coen and Kentucky in late January during his Junior Day visit. Saunders returned to Lexington over the weekend for another visit where he was able to sit down and talk with Coen and other members of the coaching staff to watch spring practice and tour the facilities.

“(Coen is) always great with me. I’ve known him a long time,” Saunders told KSR on Monday. “We were just having fun, watching a lot of film and watching practice. He’s told me that I’d be a great fit for what he wants to do on offense and he loves how I play.”

“Coach Liam and Coach Woody [Scott Woodward], the other coaches, the offense they are going to run, the culture they have, the enthusiastic fans. I like all of it,” Saunders added. “They have a great program and I could see myself there easily.
This seems reasonable looking at the visit schedules: He doesn't appear to have another visit after that April one to Kentucky besides the early June trips to Nebraska and then Kentucky again. It's hard to say with assurance, because I don't see any quotes from him about his Nebraska camp visit in June.

I guess what I still struggle with is Saunders basically telling Nebraska they were out of it and then waiting almost a full two months to actually commit to Kentucky. Maybe he did tell Rhule and the staff he was starting to favor Kentucky, but I don't know if that alone would account for the complete change in tone we got in the coverage after Manske's camp performance. Perhaps that's just how it was covered; perhaps the staff realized it would be too hard and started messaging Manske early to make it look better. Hard to say. Still, good research on the Kentucky end here, Carm.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It Mongo over on Tater Island is right, it doesn’t sound like Brix and the ole ball and chain are together anymore.

Mongo stated Brix no longer has “ties” to KSU.
521c2202-aafd-46e7-824a-75277534c9bd_text.gif

any chance one of our techie posters could put $Dean's picture on this gif?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds