Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Art Bell’s vault. West of the Rockies you’re on the air. (2 Viewers)

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Since the previous ghosts thread wasn't regarding actual ghosts, here's a thread for paranormal experiences.

I'll start, a good portion of this is second hand but I know it's 100% true.

I lived in an off-campus fraternity house in college that was a former family mansion built in the 1890s by some rich family. It at one point also served as an Alzheimers ward.

The story goes that the mansion was (is?) haunted by a ghost named Gracie, the name of a young girl who supposedly lived in the house in the 1920s/1930s. Supposedly Gracie and her younger brother were drowned by their mother in the basement bathtub after the family fell into poverty during the Great Depression. When I lived there the basement bathroom was locked and boarded up and had been for years. (In my research I was able to find a young girl named "Grace" who lived in the house in the 20s/30s but iirc she was aged 10 or 12 on this census report while the ghost was known to be more like 7 or 8.)

I have two pieces of evidence for the existence of Gracie The Ghost.

1) Each year an "advisor" from the national fraternity out of state visits the house, stays there for a few days, having meetings with the chapter leadership, filling out paperwork, talking about hazing, etc. This guy was new and had obviously never been in the house or heard any of the ghost stories. The chapter president at that time gave him his room to stay in while he stayed with his girlfriend on campus for the week. The advisor was asked how he slept his first night in the house and he said he slept fine, but then was visibly confused and asked why we had a young girl living in the house. He said he woke up in the middle of the night to a young girl standing at the foot of his bed staring at him. When informed that we in fact did not have a young girl living in the fraternity house with us drunks, he was visibly shaken and paid for a hotel the rest of the week.

2) Kind of a similar story, but a (different) chapter president had his girlfriend over spending the night at the house, and she woke up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder. She said she woke up with a young girl standing on her chest and she was unable to breath. She never stayed a night at the fraternity house again, and after having his own paranormal experiences the chapter president moved out despite having free room and board at the house.

Also one day we were out painting fixing the place up and some old guy who nobody knew stopped by just kind of checking the place out. We asked him what was up and he asked us if we'd ever had any paranormal experiences living in the house. Several of the guys had stories of their own so they stood and swapped stories for about an hour with this guy. He'd apparently lived in the house years ago and spoke of the ghost of a young girl who haunted the house.

Last edited:

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Since the previous ghosts thread wasn't regarding actual ghosts, here's a thread for paranormal experiences.

I lived in an off-campus fraternity house in college that was a former family mansion built in the 1890s by some rich family. It at one point also served as an Alzheimers ward.

The story goes that the mansion was (is?) haunted by a ghost named Gracie, the name of a young girl who supposedly lived in the house in the 1920s/1930s. Supposedly Gracie and her younger brother were drowned by their mother in the basement bathtub after the family fell into poverty during the Great Depression. When I lived there the basement bathroom was locked and boarded up and had been for years. (In my research I was able to find a young girl named "Grace" who lived in the house in the 20s/30s but iirc she was aged 10 or 12 on this census report while the ghost was known to be more like 7 or 8.)

1) Each year an "advisor" from the national fraternity out of state visits the house, stays there for a few days, having meetings with the chapter leadership, filling out paperwork, talking about hazing, etc. This guy was new and had obviously never been in the house or heard any of the ghost stories. The chapter president at that time gave him his room to stay in while he stayed with his girlfriend on campus for the week. The advisor was asked how he slept his first night in the house and he said he slept fine, but then was visibly confused and asked why we had a young girl living in the house. He said he woke up in the middle of the night to a young girl standing at the foot of his bed staring at him. When informed that we in fact did not have a young girl living in the fraternity house with us drunks, he was visibly shaken and paid for a hotel the rest of the week.

2) Kind of a similar story, but a (different) chapter president had his girlfriend over spending the night at the house, and she woke up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder. She said she woke up with a young girl standing on her chest and she was unable to breath. She never stayed a night at the fraternity house again, and after having his own paranormal experiences the chapter president moved out despite having free room and board at the house.

Also one day we were out painting fixing the place up and some old guy who nobody knew stopped by just kind of checking the place out. We asked him what was up and he asked us if we'd ever had any paranormal experiences living in the house. Several of the guys had stories of their own so they stood and swapped stories for about an hour with this guy. He'd apparently lived in the house years ago and spoke of the ghost of a young girl who haunted the house.
The great Art Bell would approve of this thread.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
We need more ghost stories
I can share a couple more of my own, not as impressive as the above though. I lived in the house for two years and interestingly enough all of these are from my first two weeks or so in the house.

1) This was my very first night living in the house. I went to bed around midnight and woke up to my roommate turning in around 3 or 4 am. He's shuffling through his stuff, flashlight in hand, getting ready for bed, when all the sudden he whips around and stares at the door. As he's shining his flashlight on the door, the door opens and begins to kind of waver back and forth for about five seconds before stopping. Then, it SLAMS shut. He turned to me and whispered, "it's Gracie". Could have been someone messing with us, but would have been a very weird/uncommon prank for not involving alcohol. Also most of the guys were a bit on edge about the ghost stuff so generally didn't talk about it and didn't want to mess with it.

2) One night I told my roommate about a dream I had where I was grabbed by the ankles by some spirit who tried to drag me to the basement. I was able to fight off the spirit but my roommate was not, he was dragged out of the room down to the basement. After describing this he claimed to have had the exact same dream that night of being dragged to the basement by his ankles.

3) Also had one day where my roommate and I had been mopping the second floor hallway and our room. We were mopping in reverse such that we wouldn't step in any of the wet areas. After we finished we went downstairs and hung out while the floors dried. I went to grab my cell phone which was left in the room and when I got to the top of the stairs, I saw two small footprints in our room, with no footprints leading up to those footprints or away. Never had a good explanation for where those footprints came from, or why there were no footprints leading to or away the two footprints in the middle of the room.

Last edited:

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
We need more ghost stories
I had a buddy who lived in a house where shit would go flying off the shelf. His wife got hit in the head by a ketchup bottle the one time. His dog would just sit and bark at the closet and he said blood ran down the wall in the one room. I’ve also heard a ufo stories.

Last edited:

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Shortly after I graduated from HS my family bought a turn of the century hotel in Wyoming. I believe it was built in 1896. We spent the next several years renovating. Each of the 5 bedrooms downstairs where we lived had it’s own bathroom. The upstairs was transitioned into an apartment and BnB. We kept the upstairs rec room and patio because it had fantastic views of wind river canyon…but I digress.

I only lived there a couple of summers while I was home from college, but my parents had several stories of their own.

My story was when I came home from work at my summer grunt work job mowing and doing other menial tasks and manual labor. I went to get in the shower and just as I stepped into the shower I saw the back of a female in a dress leaving the room. She made a sound or said “sorry” or something similar like she mistakenly walked in on me. I just figured it was my mom and went back about my business.

After I got cleaned up I walked out in the hallway to see what my mom wanted and why she’d walked in my bathroom as I was getting in the shower. I got to the main entrance just as she was unlocking the front door and coming in the house. I already knew the answer but asked if she had just gotten home from work, which she of course confirmed.

I was always creeped out in that place. Never slept well in there again. My parents stayed there for several years before selling, though.

I’ll see if I can find some pics of the place and post if I do.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
One more freaky story. I was at the Westroads mall very late into the evening, when basically everything was closed except Target (or Barnes & Noble?) but the main doors into the mall were still open. We were doing a volunteer deal at the mall and I needed to use the restroom, so I figured I'd just go into the mall bathroom and take a leak.

While I'm peeing, this Asian male in a full suit walks in. Kind of strange since it was so late, I saw no one in the mall, and I didn't hear anyone following me in, but whatever. Except he doesn't go to the toilet, or the urinal, but straight to the sink, pulls an 8 inch carving knife from his front suit pocket and starts washing it in the sink. At this point I'm literally thinking I'm about to be murdered in the Westroads mall bathroom.

Not sure if it's fits the "ghost" thread, but it was such a bizarre situation that part of me thinks it was demonic.

Last edited:

RedSeaRising

Commissioner
Elite Member
tPB OG
About 8ish miles away from my hometown is a stretch of road that is infamous for ghost stories, specifically involving native Americans as I guess it was an active spot back in the cowboys and Indians era.

My buddy's family farm was a mile or two off the road, and they always had crazy shit happen in their house. There were a bunch of wild stories about paranormal activity at that house that were way too consistent from way too many people to all be made up, but...

The clincher was his old man. His dad was every stereotype of an old farmer. No bullshit, red blooded meat eating American. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen the guy laugh, rare for him to even crack a smile, super stoic. He was the first to say all the ghost stories were made up bullshit until he had his experience. He was downstairs in their house, they had a bar with a microwave. He was mixing a drink when the door flung open and it started running. Flights started flickering and shit moved.

Naturally freaked him the fuck out. They had a priest come down and exorcist shortly thereafter and never had problems after that.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
About 8ish miles away from my hometown was a stretch of road that is infamous for ghost stories, specifically involving native Americans as I guess it was an active spot back in the cowboys and Indians days.

My buddy a family farm was a mile or two off the road, and they always had crazy shit happen in their house. There were a bunch of crazy stories about paranormal activity at that house that were way too consistent from way too many people to all be made up, but...

The clincher was his old man. His dad was every stereotype of an old farmer. No bullshit, red blooded meat eating Americand. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen the guy laugh, rare for him to even crack a smile, super stoic. He was the first to say all the ghost stories were made up bullshit until he had his experience. He was downstairs in their house, they had a bar with a microwave. He was mixing a drink when the door flung open and it started running. Flights started flickering and shit moved.

Naturally freaked him the fuck out. They had a priest come down and exorcist shortly thereafter and never had problems after that.
The crazy thing is with the story I wrote is that my buddy isn’t a bullshitter either. I gave him shit, but I actually believe him. I have other buddies I wouldn’t believe. This house is in Loup City by the way. I’ll say this I would have been moving out of that house the same day when that weird shit started happening in both cases.

RedSeaRising

Commissioner
Elite Member
tPB OG
The crazy thing is with the story I wrote is that my buddy isn’t a bullshitter either. I gave him shit, but I actually believe him. I have other buddies I wouldn’t believe. This house is in Loup City by the way. I’ll say this I would have been moving out of that house the same day when that weird shit started happening in both cases.
Yep that makes it so much more credible. I was skeptical about the stories my buddy and other friends, my buddy's brother, and even his mom. But when his old man said the shit with a stone cold expression all the skeptics knew it was legit.

I'd be getting the fuck out of dodge too

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
About 8ish miles away from my hometown was a stretch of road that is infamous for ghost stories, specifically involving native Americans as I guess it was an active spot back in the cowboys and Indians era.

My buddy's family farm was a mile or two off the road, and they always had crazy shit happen in their house. There were a bunch of wild stories about paranormal activity at that house that were way too consistent from way too many people to all be made up, but...

The clincher was his old man. His dad was every stereotype of an old farmer. No bullshit, red blooded meat eating American. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen the guy laugh, rare for him to even crack a smile, super stoic. He was the first to say all the ghost stories were made up bullshit until he had his experience. He was downstairs in their house, they had a bar with a microwave. He was mixing a drink when the door flung open and it started running. Flights started flickering and shit moved.

My folks had their pastor come cleanse the hotel. Said he went to every window in the entire house with holy water and did a prayer and blessing. The hotel probably had 30+ windows.

RedSeaRising

Commissioner
Elite Member
tPB OG
My folks had their pastor come cleanse the hotel. Said he went to every window in the entire house with holy water and did a prayer and blessing. The hotel probably had 30+ windows.
Did that stop the stuff from happening?

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver

So, not at unl I gather.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Growing up, I think me and my buddies were in 8th grade, we lived along the Elkhorn river, there was an old, large farmhouse almost exactly a mile north of us. I am guessing the house was built in the 1880's, going by when our town/area kind of started up. Anyway, this house was also about a mile south of our old farm/house (which my parents built that house in the 1970's), where the river house we lived in at the time was a mile south - basically I had driven or been past that old house probably thousands of times. So this old, long abandoned (as long as I can remember so at least from around 1980 as that is about when I was old enough to remember or have that house as something worth pondering why it had been abaondoned so long). I think that house had been abandoned maybe 20 years or more before 1980ish, just a guess going off what my parents said about it when I asked them once in my youth.

So anyway, this house was known as "being haunted" - basically the story why this large old classic two story farm stead house had been sitting empty for decades. I mean, who really believes that kind of stuff honestly. It was summer time, and I had a 3 wheeler (yes, I am that old) that me and my buddies would ride around the country side. I mean, 3 kids on a 3 wheeler isn't exactly safe. One day (it was summer) one of my friends says, hey, lets go see what's up with that big old house a mile north. Sure, OK, sounds fun. There were 4 of us that day - somehow all 4 of us got on my ATV and we rumbled up to this old house, which had long just been in the middle of a corn field at that point. It was all boarded up - all doors, windows, everything boarded up. This was probably about 6 pm in the afternoon.

So we pull some old boards off and get in through the back door. We are kinda creeped out, it is dark in there with very little way light can get in. We didn't have flashlights, but there was enough light to walk around at least. We walk around the main floor. Nothing out of the ordinary, and actually the inside was in great shape. Good condition wood floors, kitchen and cabinets looked in good shape. Dusty but nothing that you'd think you'd find in a house abandoned and boarded up for decades. We walk in to the main living room, and there is this big old wood hutch type of thing - the only furniture in the house. It is still in great shape and probably worth some $ we think. As we were in the living room, and loud bang or boom comes from upstairs. Sounded like something like that big old oak hutch falling on wood floors on the 2nd level. Scared the poop out of us and was ran outside, got on the ATV and scooted back to my place.

After talking it over for a half hour or so, we get our courage up, and I grab a flashlight. I think one of my buddies got a baseball bat from our garage. We head back there, it is probably 7 pm at that point, probably June or July, so days are pretty long. We go inside, and not hearing anything decide to chance going up the stairs to the 2nd level. However, before we went inside, I walked around the outside of the house, just looking to see if any doors or windows weren't boarded up. One of the old basement windows was broken out, it was one of those small windows where you'd have a tough time crawling through it. I shine my flashlight down into the basement, and there is a pretty fresh dead deer just laying there. Seeing no way how the deer even could have gotten in, it was weird to us. So that got our jimmies rustled a little.

Back to being inside, and I am leading the way up the stairs to the 2nd level. About half way up, I see some kind of reddish light. We are pretty freaked out now. We make it to the top of the stairs, and there are four rooms, all with their doors closed. Kind of how old farm stead houses were built back in the early days. But under 1 of the doors was this pretty bright reddish light. It freaked us out for sure. About when all of us entered the main central area of the upstairs with 4 rooms with closed doors surrounding us, and one room having a freaky red light coming from under the door, we hear another loud boom like something big and wooden was slammed to the floor. We get the fuck out, and quickly. We ride the ATV back to my place, that night we were camping down on a sandbar by the river, as we did at least half the nights each summer growing up. About 2 in the morning, we hear sirens. We aren't but a 3rd of a mile from the bridge crossing the hwy. We watch a fire engine and police car speed over the bridge. Not knowing why at that point.

We get up the next morning, break camp and head to my parents house for breakfast, etc. Dad comes in and is talking to mom about the old house a mile up and how it burned down last night. We were like WTF? We didn't tell my parents we were in the house as it would have sounded like we may have had something to do with it.

We did get back on the ATV around noon once the fire dept and everyone was basically gone from the area. Just rode by, stopped on the road and looked for a bit. The whole damn thing was burned to the ground. To this day, we have no idea why, the fire dept never could find a reason. None of us smoked or anything like that, there is no way we set it on fire somehow. Combined with the weird shit we experienced there the evening before - it has always confounded us just WTF was going on there, and why after damn near a 100 years that house burned down that night.

Dunno if that counts as a ghost story, but it was certainly an odd coincidence it burned down in the middle of thie night after we just experienced some weird shit in there. Where the house sat has long been a corn field now, so maybe whoever owned the house decided to burn it down for extra acreage. I doubt that honestly, as farmers would just get someone with a Cat in there and bulldoze it. It never made any sense and makes for good rememberance stories every so often with me and my old buddies. Every time I drive by that place when I am back in NE, I always look over in that cornfield and wonder.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds