Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

And so it begins...(tracking Coach Prime decommits/transfers)

He's gonna face a 24 year-old All-American vs North Dakota State. I guarantee that will be an immediate step up in competition for him.
That game is sitting at an 8.5 spread...I would not be surprised at all if NDSU pulled a stunner here. It is about as two polarizing of programs as are out there. Small town team that develops and does all of the little things right vs the big-name flashy school with virtually no discipline.

Why do you say that so confidently? Is Colorado better than last year?

Not a professional scout but I think they're marginally better across almost every position group. Certainly have the advantage of continuity from last year which they didn't have in '23 and they brought in better transfers than they did last year too. Impossible team to project given the structure of their organization. They're still a case study

NDSU is getting overrated due to their recent stretch and general hype around this game. Bit of a tumultuous offseason. I like Polasek and heard him talk ball a few times when he was at Cockeye but they won't have the dogs to keep up with CU. Bad matchup for them

Not a professional scout but I think they're marginally better across almost every position group. Certainly have the advantage of continuity from last year which they didn't have in '23 and they brought in better transfers than they did last year too. Impossible team to project given the structure of their organization. They're still a case study

NDSU is getting overrated due to their recent stretch and general hype around this game. Bit of a tumultuous offseason. I like Polasek and heard him talk ball a few times when he was at Cockeye but they won't have the dogs to keep up with CU. Bad matchup for them
Certainly have the advantage of continuity from last year -

Going to have to explain this to me.

I agree with you on NDSU.

I wouldn't say they are better at every position. I'd say they are worse at RB and TE, better at WR and DE. The rest is hard to say so much change. Definitely wouldn't say they have the advantage of continuity with so many newcomers and a new OC and new DC and defensive scheme. Really not much continuity within this program at all.

That game is sitting at an 8.5 spread...I would not be surprised at all if NDSU pulled a stunner here. It is about as two polarizing of programs as are out there. Small town team that develops and does all of the little things right vs the big-name flashy school with virtually no discipline.
If I'm being honest, it's the one game all year that I want Colorado to win...barely.

You wouldn't CU thinking that NDSU was their wake-up call.

If I'm being honest, it's the one game all year that I want Colorado to win...barely.

I want Colorado to win only so that it looks better when we beat the ever living piss out of them.

That being said, if they do end up losing to NDSU, I will enjoy ever single second of it.

... or create in-fighting and finger pointing and start the team crumbling one week in.

I could actually see that scenario being more likely than the team uniting and waking up over a loss to a FCS team.

As other have pointed out, what continuity are you talking about?

They return three starters from last years offense. On top of that, their offense is replacing OC Sean Lewis with Pat Shurmur (a notoriously bad NFL OC), and O'Boyle is out as their OL Coach and is being replaced by Phil Loadholt (first year as a position coach). In additon to a few other offensive coaching changes, they also will be breaking in a first year DC, who also has zero years of experience coaching in college.

Colorado lost their best WR to the NFL, lost their best RBs and are completely replacing their OL with a true freshman LT, a LG who was third-team all FCS, a center who did start two games for them last year (not a compliment), UTEP's starting RG, and Indiana's RT last year (best OL IMO). Their first year OL coach is going to be asked to be a miracle worker...

shocked no way GIF

I actually think CU will beat NDSU by 21 or more.

As you mentioned, CU is a terrible matchup for NDSU. CU has a massive advantage at QB+WR positions. This means that CU doesn't even have to be that great in the game but they can break the game open with 5-7 30 yd plays (which they will get). Then CU's crowd will go nuts etc.

They'll hit on these plays and then the NDSU CBs and safeties will start doubting themselves and the crowd goes nuts and it will turn into a blowout.

It's the perfect type of game for CU.

As you mentioned, CU is a terrible matchup for NDSU. CU has a massive advantage at QB+WR positions. This means that CU doesn't even have to be that great in the game but they can break the game open with 5-7 30 yd plays (which they will get). Then CU's crowd will go nuts etc.

They'll hit on these plays and then the NDSU CBs and safeties will start doubting themselves and the crowd goes nuts and it will turn into a blowout.

Certainly possible, the two biggest differences between FCS and FBS is speed and size, and Colorado has speed at WR that NDSU will have issues with.

Also this isn’t the NDSU from a few years ago.

They return three starters from last years offense. On top of that, their offense is replacing OC Sean Lewis with Pat Shurmur (a notoriously bad NFL OC), and O'Boyle is out as their OL Coach and is being replaced by Phil Loadholt (first year as a position coach). In additon to a few other offensive coaching changes, they also will be breaking in a first year DC, who also has zero years of experience coaching in college.

Colorado lost their best WR to the NFL, lost their best RBs and are completely replacing their OL with a true freshman LT, a LG who was third-team all FCS, a center who did start two games for them last year (not a compliment), UTEP's starting RG, and Indiana's RT last year (best OL IMO). Their first year OL coach is going to be asked to be a miracle worker...

Also this isn’t the NDSU from a few years ago.

I enjoy the discussion, I will respond from the bottom up:

1. NDSU isn't the same juggernaut, but their 2024 defense should be as good as its been the last 5 years. They have future pros at all 3 levels, and I would argue at least 4 dudes in their front 7 would start for Colorado.

2. I wouldn't claim CU is "better at every position," but they are more than likely improved in two key areas; Pass PRO and generating a pass rush. I don't believe they will be able to run the ball any better any early reports from their Fall camp suggest their DC is not happy with their run defense. I'm not a fan of PFF, but if you look at the grades of their incoming linemen on both sides of the ball, they are better protecting a passer and getting to the passer, but awful at run blocking or stopping the run. The Defensive Tackle transfer from Houston was considered the worst interior defensive linemen vs. the run in the Big 12. And when you see him, it makes sense. The dude is 5'11 290.

3. CU is also shifting to the 4-2-5. That's not a bad move for the Big 12, but the scheme is naturally leaky against the run.

4. As for my thoughts about CU vs. NDSU, All Spring and Summer, I was thinking the Buffs would win that one easily, but at this point, I can't escape the feeling that CU is dealing with a shit ton of distractions while trying to insert a new offense and defense with an OC that hasn't coached in the college game for nearly 30 years and a DC that's never been a DC ever.

Gun to my head?

I think that game goes 4 quarters and CU has to fight all game long. I believe they will win, but there will be moments where the ESPN cameras pick up shots of CU players acting like they're on a Netflix show.

I enjoy the discussion, I will respond from the bottom up:

Gun to my head?

I think that game goes 4 quarters and CU has to fight all game long. I believe they will win, but there will be moments where the ESPN cameras pick up shots of CU players acting like they're on a Netflix show.
That will be used as a halftime motivational device…

Certainly have the advantage of continuity from last year -

Going to have to explain this to me.

At face value it's preposterous but in context there's definitely a continuity edge from '23. Going from having zero returning staff and players to even having a few is an advantage even if it's not large.

1. QB being on campus for a year and having rapport with OC makes for a better learning environment.
2. Replacing OC doesn't mean installing completely foreign concepts and terms - probably a lot of holdover esp since it was done mid-year. My guess is it was a pretty simple scheme anyway

They might have less continuity than 95% of FBS programs but last year they were dead last.

The program is a case study even for the guys in the building. Having a year to study it is huge. CU lost multiple games/kept multiple games close as a direct result of overcomplicating in-game playcalling and decision-making. A lot of blown assignments on both sides of the ball (and on staff) especially late in the year when the depth showed itself. They could be three points better just based on coaching staff experience - Deion almost lost the Colorado State game himself with OT tactical decisions and lost the Oregon State game himself. Stanford game should have been won if they had run the ball. A bad, experienced coach wins all those games and colorado goes bowling.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back