Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Zavier Betts (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I dont believe they have to be. Garrett Nelson and others may have declared but he could still be in school working out on campus and working towards his degree. I think in most cases if a player chooses the scholarship is for the full year, even though he is no longer part of the team. Again, I may be wrong
I meant there weren't on the list of 94 names, not that they weren't counters. I agree they are if they are getting aid

Black5hirt

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
Scholly vs. Walk-on:

If he's going to participate in spring football, we will have a scholarship available for him. We are over the 85 number currently and have to shed schollys at some point, but that includes the incoming freshmen who won't be here until next fall. We won't have to have those extra scholarships processed and down to 85 until August.

So we'd be fine putting him on scholarship for the spring semester. If he goes through spring ball, the coaching staff will know his level of commitment and know if he's worth squeezing him into the 85 in the fall. There's almost no downside here for a potentially big payoff.
Good point

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
My recollection is the NCAA let's you do funny math in the spring to pay for kids who are just finishing up while getting new guys in that technically don't have open spots yet

There has to be some sort of “plan” to get back to 85 by 6/1 if I recall. I’m sure there is some action plan they have to fill out that the NCAA totally reads.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
There has to be some sort of “plan” to get back to 85 by 6/1 if I recall. I’m sure there is some action plan they have to fill out that the NCAA totally reads.
when there's a coaching change new coaches can cut players while they still get the rest of their school paid for. whatever number we're at, it will be down to 85 once the dead weight is let go

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
when there's a coaching change new coaches can cut players while they still get the rest of their school paid for. whatever number we're at, it will be down to 85 once the dead weight is let go

They really can’t though. The NLI is a 4 year deal between the SA and university. The new coach can’t come in and break that agreement. He can strongly encourage them to take the “retirement package” that allows them to get their school paid for after they quit football.

Maybe that’s what you’re meaning.

NSECTA4

Safety
Elite Member
he likely won't come back without a schollie in hand, so that would kill this idea. You'd need to have him be willing to participate this spring as a paying student under your plan.
Or 1890 might foot the bill for tuition if they’re seriously giving him a shot at returning.
I don’t see the lack of a schollie being an issue in the current landscape.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Just exchanged a few texts with someone as close as it gets to the situation. Zavier is registered and fully enrolled. He is taking 18 credit hours and also will be participating in Spring ball, but his primary focus will be on school.

Zavier is the one who initiated this. He has gone through *it* a bit recently and reached out over the holidays for help and make a change. Those close to him are hopefully that this was a true wake-up call for him.

Napkins

Safety
Elite Member
Just exchanged a few texts with someone as close as it gets to the situation. Zavier is registered and fully enrolled. He is taking 18 credit hours and also will be participating in Spring ball, but his primary focus will be on school.

Zavier is the one who initiated this. He has gone through *it* a bit recently and reached out over the holidays for help and make a change. Those close to him are hopefully that this was a true wake-up call for him.
Good for him.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member

Good for him.
18 hours is quite a load for someone who has historically struggled with school and just trying to get back in the saddle.
It would be awesome if this works out and he's able to pick up where he left off.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm assuming the family source is the same as mine. Which means that they texted me first, then Mitch 😁 😁 😁
cosmo kramer pimp GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds