Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Week 7 @ #16 Indiana: Depth Chart, Game Notes, Odds & Ends, etc

Schedule detail

Oct 21, 2024 at 12:49 PM
  • Unstick thread
  1. Seaofred92 Seaofred92
Yeah I’ve been thinking this all week 😅 we think Rhule is so good then how is he a dog in year 2 to fuckin Indiana with a first year coach who took over a program that was probably in worse shape or atleast comparable than Frost left Nebraska?

I totally get why many would argue that Rhule, in his second year, shouldn’t lose to a first-year Indiana coach, but context is key here.

Curt Cignetti brought 13 players with him from a successful James Madison team that went 11-2 and was ranked as high as 18th in the AP poll. That's a solid core of players who already understand Cignetti's system and can help integrate the new roster. Rhule, on the other hand, didn’t have the benefit of bringing in a group familiar with his approach. Those nuances make a significant difference. Context matters.

I totally get why many would argue that Rhule, in his second year, shouldn’t lose to a first-year Indiana coach, but context is key here.

Curt Cignetti brought 13 players with him from a successful James Madison team that went 11-2 and was ranked as high as 18th in the AP poll. That's a solid core of players who already understand Cignetti's system and can help integrate the new roster. Rhule, on the other hand, didn’t have the benefit of bringing in a group familiar with his approach. Those nuances make a significant difference. Context matters.
Could you imagine how much better last year would have gone if Rhule brought in a few Carolina Panthers players with him?

Just looking at Cignetti's history, he's had 3 years in I-A ball, and his strength of schedules in those years were 104th, 93rd, then 107th (so far this year). He has done very well against lower level competition, but results have dropped off noticeably when playing tougher teams.

This year, Indiana was racking up killer defensive stats against FCS & G5 schools (plus UCLA, who has the second worst scoring offense in all of I-A), but then against NW & MD (both below average offenses), their D gave up 24 & 28.

They're having a good season, but not as intimidating or dominant as the hype might lead you to believe.

It's also one game in an X year marathon.

Of great, so we’re underdogs to a bunch of James Madison players. That doesn’t make it much better.

Of great, so we’re underdogs to a bunch of James Madison players. That doesn’t make it much better.
I love how Rhule sucked off Indiana the whole press conference. Unless we come out and step all over our own dicks from the start we will control this game. Even the 4th quarter scoring stat that Rhule cited is misleading. Indiana has kept starters in and ran their offense when the games were won. The blackshirts will dominate. Do special teams stop being a negative? If so we win by two TD's. Nebraska is better than people think. Indiana isn't quite as good as people think. Can we lose this game? Of course. But if we do it will be self inflicted wounds.

Rhule says it.
"Good football team"
"much improved"

Things like that. I don't think we should lose to Indiana if we are those things.
I think the list can be true without requiring a win against the #16 ranked team on the road.

I see a lot of people basing the situation of this game and translating it to broader success or failure. I understand the logic in all of it, but I see it all as completely myopic. We could lose this weekend and still be those things above, and we could also still progress as a program the way we want beyond this weekend. We could lose and yet surpass IU in the near future as this could just be lighting in a bottle.

Hanging our hopes here, and pounding the table saying we must win or we’re falling behind… or failing, is misplaced.

I think the list can be true without requiring a win against the #16 ranked team on the road.

I see a lot of people basing the situation of this game and translating it to broader success or failure. I understand the logic in all of it, but I see it all as completely myopic. We could lose this weekend and still be those things above, and we could also still progress as a program the way we want beyond this weekend. We could lose and yet surpass IU in the near future as this could just be lighting in a bottle.

Hanging our hopes here, and pounding the table saying we must win or we’re falling behind… or failing, is misplaced.
One week at a time

I love how Rhule sucked off Indiana the whole press conference. Unless we come out and step all over our own dicks from the start we will control this game. Even the 4th quarter scoring stat that Rhule cited is misleading. Indiana has kept starters in and ran their offense when the games were won. The blackshirts will dominate. Do special teams stop being a negative? If so we win by two TD's. Nebraska is better than people think. Indiana isn't quite as good as people think. Can we lose this game? Of course. But if we do it will be self inflicted wounds.
This is correct

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back