Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Way Too Early Coaching Carousel Predictions (1 Viewer)

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
If Grubb leaves, DeBoer would be an idiot not to leave and get paid.
I disagree. As of last night, UW is negotiating with Deboer on a restructure/extension yet again. Twice in 2 years.

With that - he's coming to the B1G which will provide a HUGE earning potential, but has 2 years of turning UW into a winning program before they launch into their new endeavor. The ability to continue to win will pay off far more than taking the current highest bidder, step into a fucked situation, and become a loser. It's happened to many who just keep jumping.

I am a HUGE proponent of guys needing to be honest with themselves. Am I a HC or am I a DAMN GOOD coordinator? Is A$M a better job than UW? Is quick payoff now worth rebuilding a school that other than Johnny Football, hasn't had much of a brightspot in 30 years? A&M has had 4+ losses in 23 of their last 25 seasons. Why jump there when you're about to take a potentially undefeated, Heisman contending QB led team, into the B1G as the playoff expands to 12 teams? You're already going to be a top 15 program in the country simply by keeping THAT rolling. And your current school is showing that they are willing to continue to restructure as you perform.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Looks like Chadwell is getting a look from Mississippi State:

F-6o96vaoAA1xNK

Holy shit I love the Carousel hahahaha

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
losing grubb and Penix and you don’t take an opportunity to double your salary? Interesting.
You're losing both of them anyways - so you have to ask, am I better suited to continue my success here or elsewhere? I don't know how he can't keep the Huskies train rolling, frankly. Far better odds than stepping into what's currently available.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Elko and Kiffin are in different stratosphere’s - sitting SEC proven coach who people fear VS Dukes HC of 2 years who’s impressive but doing it primarily against ACC lower tier talent?
If it were any other opening I'd agree with you - but Elko has a great history at A&M. National guys I listen to have it down to those two.

Elko was real buddy buddy with the A&M brass - perhaps more so than jimbo - during his time there. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a deal in principle already. Elko has also proven that he'll beat the 'Muschamp allegations' I mentioned earlier in the thread

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
If it were any other opening I'd agree with you - but Elko has a great history at A&M. National guys I listen to have it down to those two.

Elko was real buddy buddy with the A&M brass - perhaps more so than jimbo - during his time there. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a deal in principle already. Elko has also proven that he'll beat the 'Muschamp allegations' I mentioned earlier in the thread
No no - you're missing my point. ELKO Makes sense there, that's a no brainer - I don't see a world where KIFFIN goes there.

doublewing

Running Back
Any guesses on Jim Harbaugh? Would like it if he left the BIG and never returned.
I’d be surprised if he isn’t in the NFL next season. I thought that before the sign stealing drama.

He has flirted with leaving a few times now, has provided some headaches for himself and the University to deal with, and could leave to focus on football. He’s a proven coach at the NFL level and there are always openings.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
No no - you're missing my point. ELKO Makes sense there, that's a no brainer - I don't see a world where KIFFIN goes there.
I disagree. The limitations in the state of Mississippi don’t exist at A&M. He would have more than twice the NIL budget to work with and doesn’t plan on coaching forever. It’s a perfect opportunity to get the bag. Ole Miss is still one of the poorest SEC programs. He’s maxed them out for years.

It was pretty widely reported that he was close to taking the auburn job but it was past flirting. Auburn had the contract sent to him. That saga put a tremendous amount of strain on his relationship with Ole Miss brass and they won’t get played if he flirts with A&M. They’re fine to move on knowing the limitations of their program

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I disagree. The limitations in the state of Mississippi don’t exist at A&M. He would have more than twice the NIL budget to work with and doesn’t plan on coaching forever. It’s a perfect opportunity to get the bag. Ole Miss is still one of the poorest SEC programs. He’s maxed them out for years.

It was pretty widely reported that he was close to taking the auburn job but it was past flirting. Auburn had the contract sent to him. That saga put a tremendous amount of strain on his relationship with Ole Miss brass and they won’t get played if he flirts with A&M. They’re fine to move on knowing the limitations of their program
Auburn has national championships recently. A$M doesn't have dick.

At some point high level guys have to be asking "why has literally everyone failed there since mid-90s RC Slocum? They've had the resources and the recruiting hot bed that entire time...

Reactions: Irv

Huskerscoop

Linebacker
Elite Member
I heard SDSU is going offense with their next hire. That was according to Feldman with the athletic. He listed Grubb form Washington. Kingsbury makes sense too.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Auburn has national championships recently. A$M doesn't have dick.

At some point high level guys have to be asking "why has literally everyone failed there since mid-90s RC Slocum? They've had the resources and the recruiting hot bed that entire time...

I wouldn't even say everyone's failed. Auburn is a pretty good comp. You've got one generational talent at QB (Manziel/Cam) that gave you a singular window, and aside from that it's been pretty good. A&M has performed, just not at a Georgia/Alabama level. They just keep hitting their head on the ceiling because they've hired average coaches.

Look at Texas. They hired average or subaverage coaches but had the resources only a few schools have. It got them a national title when all the pieces got put together and that generational QB came along. It's about creating that confluence of talent, great culture, strong process, and years of development when that Vince Young, Cam, or Manziel comes along. If your horses are THAT good you can win it with a Jacob Coker. If Ewers was as advertised they'd be there right now. Maybe they get there with Arch.

A lot of that is coaching and alignment. Kevin Sumlin was the guy when JFF was there and he had his fair share of Scott Frost to him. Lane presents as a slacker but he's a really tough guy to work for in the sense that he understands how Saban runs a program and applies it as well as any of his disciples outside of Kirby. You're just not gonna get the horses at Ole Miss because the state is THE poorest in the country and the biggest boosters are hawking products, not drilling west texas crude like at A&M. A&M is a high ceiling program that hasn't met its potential. Ole Miss is a low ceiling program that has. It might have the second highest ceiling due to its donor base outside of Georgia, who barely competes in-state in one of the most talent rich areas in the sport.

Sorry I'm long winded on this - I fucking love the carousel. Brings the macroeconomics into the sport and mixes it with drama

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I wouldn't even say everyone's failed. Auburn is a pretty good comp. You've got one generational talent at QB (Manziel/Cam) that gave you a singular window, and aside from that it's been pretty good. A&M has performed, just not at a Georgia/Alabama level. They just keep hitting their head on the ceiling because they've hired average coaches.

Look at Texas. They hired average or subaverage coaches but had the resources only a few schools have. It got them a national title when all the pieces got put together and that generational QB came along. It's about creating that confluence of talent, great culture, strong process, and years of development when that Vince Young, Cam, or Manziel comes along. If your horses are THAT good you can win it with a Jacob Coker. If Ewers was as advertised they'd be there right now. Maybe they get there with Arch.

A lot of that is coaching and alignment. Kevin Sumlin was the guy when JFF was there and he had his fair share of Scott Frost to him. Lane presents as a slacker but he's a really tough guy to work for in the sense that he understands how Saban runs a program and applies it as well as any of his disciples outside of Kirby. You're just not gonna get the horses at Ole Miss because the state is THE poorest in the country and the biggest boosters are hawking products, not drilling west texas crude like at A&M. A&M is a high ceiling program that hasn't met its potential. Ole Miss is a low ceiling program that has. It might have the second highest ceiling due to its donor base outside of Georgia, who barely competes in-state in one of the most talent rich areas in the sport.

Sorry I'm long winded on this - I fucking love the carousel. Brings the macroeconomics into the sport and mixes it with drama
Wins since 2000:
A$M : 174
OleMiss: 154
Auburn: 196

OleMiss coaches: Matt Luke, Hugh Freeze, Houston Nutt, Ed Orgeron, David Cutcliffe

Jimbo - 45-25 - .643
Sumlin - 51-26 - .662
Sherman - 25-25
Franchione - 32-29

Coming INTO the position at either school, I think A$M's list of coaches was more impressive at the time of their hires than the OleMiss coaches. Yet Ole miss has 1 less win per year on average. They are the same. Now - obviously resources would be better. But legitimate coaches have gone to A$M to die. There's some reason for that. So again - why leave something you have rolling at a higher capacity like Lane at Ole Miss to take on something that has just as much going against it as it does upside? Lane is at 9Million - Jimbo was at 9.1 Million. He aint making more money at A$M - not significant money that makes it worth the gamble at least.

For a program that expects to be national tile contenders every year, they suck dick. Jimbo is a legitimate coach. Sumlin certainly had faults but there wasn't too many as charismatic and offensively adept as him.

There's a weird fuggin culture at A$M and I do think that plays into the lack of high level success there that keeps a top-tier guy like Lane from going there. If anything the comp is Tennessee - overwhelming expectations despite pretty mediocre/average results at best. And Lane has already been at Tennessee and hated it.

Now - a guy like Elko who is LOOKING for his big time job, great. Go build it up and leave your mark on a program that thinks they should be better than they are, you'll be a hero. In my opinion they gotta try something a bit different, and Elko would be that.

Love the banter - carousel season is incredible.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds