Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

USMNT (4 Viewers)

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
I want to believe they'll go out and find someone pragmatic to maximize the chances of semifinals in 2026, but even if they get someone awesome to the finish line they'll find a way to rule him out because he's never heard of the Mason Dixon Line
Here’s - potential issue with a non-US based coach.

My son recently competed in the Olympic Development (ODP) Combine for the South Region earlier this week (he’s a U13). They started with 82 kids that were hand selected from our regional and had to cut down to 18 that will then go to Orlando in January to compete at the regional level and make a national team. This isn’t the absolute cream of the crop but there were some kids that could be the real deal. So the talent level was respectable.

On Wednesday, they decided the kids in six teams with the best talent being on the first team, next on the second team, etc.

Guess which team has the biggest and fastest kids on the team regardless of ball skills or tactical thinking? You guessed it - the first team. Don’t get me wrong as the best kids were more or less on the first and second teams. (My kid made the second team and he was pretty pissed about it)

This was put on by USYS and if these are the kids we’re pushing through - by and large - to the USMNT the odds are that a coach from Europe or South America that very likely favors a pretty different skill set are pretty high.

It’s like inheriting a team that runs the 1995 Nebraska option attack and trying to square that into Leach’s Air Raid offense. Different skill sets, tactics, etc.

Just my two cents.

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member

My son recently competed in the Olympic Development (ODP) Combine for the South Region earlier this week (he’s a U13). They started with 82 kids that were hand selected from our regional and had to cut down to 18 that will then go to Orlando in January to compete at the regional level and make a national team. This isn’t the absolute cream of the crop but there were some kids that could be the real deal. So the talent level was respectable.

On Wednesday, they decided the kids in six teams with the best talent being on the first team, next on the second team, etc.

Guess which team has the biggest and fastest kids on the team regardless of ball skills or tactical thinking? You guessed it - the first team. Don’t get me wrong as the best kids were more or less on the first and second teams. (My kid made the second team and he was pretty pissed about it)

This was put on by USYS and if these are the kids we’re pushing through - by and large - to the USMNT the odds are that a coach from Europe or South America that very likely favors a pretty different skill set are pretty high.

It’s like inheriting a team that runs the 1995 Nebraska option attack and trying to square that into Leach’s Air Raid offense. Different skill sets, tactics, etc.

Just my two cents.
God forbid we develop ball skills, situational awareness, and tactical thinking.

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
You’re the second person that’s said he’s the next corch. I’m scared it’ll be true.
Let’s not fuck up LAFC in the process of trying to de-fuck USMNT. About the only American sports team I support that still wins games.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

Just my two cents.
I think it's an issue at the youth level as far as the depth and breadth of the pool long term but a new coach basically has 2 years to get a team that won't shit it's pants in the world cup and that pool is pretty set

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
God forbid we develop ball skills, situational awareness, and tactical thinking.

I’ve seen less technical breakdowns in the past 2 years or so than ever before.

As it pertains to tactical thinking, The lack of creativity in the final 3rd in Copa was a serious problem that was compounded by the field being about 10 yards narrower than usual. In many instances teams like to really pack the final third tight with about 7-8 guys and give us some of the flanks because they know they can’t run with us.

I think the two of the simplest of adjustments could have been made.

1) Tell our guys to take more chances from 20-30 yards out. You may not make it, but it will force them out of the bunker and then we can play our combinations into the area. Who knows? You might even get a deflection and a corner. This is where we miss having a player like a Mascherano, Lampard, or even Stevie G. Crack the fuckin ball if they’re going to stay back lads!

2) Get the outside backs into the attack earlier and have them maintain our width for a longer stretch of pitch. They can’t stay zonal if you do that and just take their chances being peppered by services.

I’ve seen hundreds of top level coaches in this nation run tactical training sessions and I know a guy like @Ext. 55 also has. They all are incredible and they all know more than I do. However, sometimes this game isn’t as complicated as we make it.

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member
This guy's name has come up in articles and online: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hervé_Renard

The argument in support of him seems to be that he's got an established track record of doing well with average talent level. He beat Argentina in the 2022 World Cup, won AFCON twice, got Morocco to it's first world cup in twenty years in 2018, and won games as coach in both the men's and women's world cup. His contract with France is up after the Olympics and he supposedly wants to get back into the men's game.

Whether any of that translates to over here or is what the federation is looking for is anyone's guess.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
They never really had much going for them under Gregg in the final third. Most of the time it was fire a cross in to no one in particular or a box in which they didn't have numbers. Whether that was a "tactical" breakdown or we just don't have guys currently who have an imagination, I can't say

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
They never really had much going for them under Gregg in the final third. Most of the time it was fire a cross in to no one in particular or a box in which they didn't have numbers. Whether that was a "tactical" breakdown or we just don't have guys currently who have an imagination, I can't say
Didn’t help he had Gio playing as more of an 8 this tournament than a true 10 and as the creative, attacking mid he is.

I keep harping on it, but having McKennie that out of form absolutely killed us.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’ve seen less technical breakdowns in the past 2 years or so than ever before.

As it pertains to tactical thinking, The lack of creativity in the final 3rd in Copa was a serious problem that was compounded by the field being about 10 yards narrower than usual. In many instances teams like to really pack the final third tight with about 7-8 guys and give us some of the flanks because they know they can’t run with us.

I think the two of the simplest of adjustments could have been made.

1) Tell our guys to take more chances from 20-30 yards out. You may not make it, but it will force them out of the bunker and then we can play our combinations into the area. Who knows? You might even get a deflection and a corner. This is where we miss having a player like a Mascherano, Lampard, or even Stevie G. Crack the fuckin ball if they’re going to stay back lads!

2) Get the outside backs into the attack earlier and have them maintain our width for a longer stretch of pitch. They can’t stay zonal if you do that and just take their chances being peppered by services.

I’ve seen hundreds of top level coaches in this nation run tactical training sessions and I know a guy like @Ext. 55 also has. They all are incredible and they all know more than I do. However, sometimes this game isn’t as complicated as we make it.
Whole heartedly agree with point two. Missed a lot of chances to get forward and create overloads in the wide area. We have an incredible wide back in Robinson (I’d argue he’s our best player) who could have been used more dangerously.

Would also like to have seen (with the pitch as narrow as it was) some quick long ball counter attacks to get deeper into our opponents final third…and at worst try to pin them there with more a press. Can’t do that all game of course, but let’s say 3-4 times a half.

Regardless, we were awful in the final third. Very little creativity.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Didn’t help he had Gio playing as more of an 8 this tournament than a true 10 and as the creative, attacking mid he is.

I keep harping on it, but having McKennie that out of form absolutely killed us.
McKenzie was turrible…I will say he worked hard, but he wasn’t in form in any way. In form, he’s a solid player in the midfield. Musah to me really never made his presence felt. That last match i couldn’t tell he was out there.

Still think Gio is soft and should be coming off the bench in every match.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG

Just my two cents.
To be clear, I agree with virtually everything you said. ODP however is not where the USMNT or women’s for that matter are going to come from. ODP is one more money grab for each of the USYS states.

Yes, I’m sure you can find someone that has or will. But the massive majority will come from the MLS club ranks in the set up we hav now…and/or through other top of the pyramid leagues. All that being said…most of our current squad are only on the team because they have a US parent and played elsewhere growing up.

Last edited:

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Amen. Regular playing time is the key-it's the only way to grow and develop.
Agreed. Everyone points out how many players we have abroad in respected clubs. I’m, but how many of those play a meaningful role for a meaningful club.

I’d say three at the moment. Robinson (Fulham and our best player), Pulisic (ACM), and Ream (Fulham, but is what 34?) who really developed into a very good player.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think it's an issue at the youth level as far as the depth and breadth of the pool long term but a new coach basically has 2 years to get a team that won't shit it's pants in the world cup and that pool is pretty set
And it is a pool that can win a knock out game. I won’t be moved off that position. We have the talent currently.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Whole heartedly agree with point two. Missed a lot of chances to get forward and create overloads in the wide area. We have an incredible wide back in Robinson (I’d argue he’s our best player) who could have been used more dangerously.

Would also like to have seen (with the pitch as narrow as it was) some quick long ball counter attacks to get deeper into our opponents final third…and at worst try to pin them there with more a press. Can’t do that all game of course, but let’s say 3-4 times a half.

Regardless, we were awful in the final third. Very little creativity.

I watched Robinson exclusively for about 5 minutes and I also believe he’s our best player.

Back in the old days when Arsenal was the big club in Omaha, I played for a gentleman named Paul Harvey. He was always a fan of playing that long ball in behind the other team’s center backs. “Any time you can get them running back towards their own goal it’s a win” he use to say.

Bob Warming was also big into that style of game.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
I watched Robinson exclusively for about 5 minutes and I also believe he’s our best player.

Back in the old days when Arsenal was the big club in Omaha, I played for a gentleman named Paul Harvey. He was always a fan of playing that long ball in behind the other team’s center backs. “Any time you can get them running back towards their own goal it’s a win” he use to say.

Bob Warming was also big into that style of game.
Agreed. It can be very dangerous. Now, I’m not sure you can get away with that all game long, but definitely changes things up.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
To be clear, I agree with virtually everything you said. ODP however is not where the USMNT or women’s for that matter are going to come from. ODP is one more money grab for each of the USYS states.

Yes, I’m sure you can find someone that has or will. But the massive majority will come from the MLS club ranks in the set up we hav now…and/or through other top of the pyramid leagues. All that being said…most of our current squad are only on the team because they have a US parent and played elsewhere growing up.
My son does the MLS stuff too with Nashville SC. Just starting that so we’ll see how that goes.

Fitzjess21

Cornerback
Elite Member

Isn't Antonee Robinson technically British?

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
McKenzie was turrible…I will say he worked hard, but he wasn’t in form in any way. In form, he’s a solid player in the midfield. Musah to me really never made his presence felt. That last match i couldn’t tell he was out there.

Still think Gio is soft and should be coming off the bench in every match.
I still highly rate Musah. Very good at advancing the ball and dribbling through a press. I will admit that he did not play well against Uruguay, as he had some very sloppy first touches.

Tbh, I don’t think he can play next to Adams and McKennie anymore, maybe just one of them. Adams can be reckless with how often he can be out of position, which is why I would still really like to see more of Cardoso.

I didn’t used to think much of him, but that Aidan Morris kid I guess had been playing well enough to cause a move to a Championship side.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds