Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Update - power back after 127 hours

So explain to me how this power grid is so great at handling a cold snap that killed 700+ people back in 2021? Oh, it’s designed that way to avoid federal regulations and can only draw a very limited about of power from out of state sources.

To be fair it was a hell of a cold snap that would have unfortunately cost lives regardless but if TX wasn’t so goddamn stubborn less people would have died.

All for ideological purposes and money - $16B in unnecessary charges thanks to that spike in wholesale prices.

The bolded part is what seriously pisses me off.
The bolded part is stupid. Those people signed up for that risk. They had plenty of options to mitigate it but wanted to save $30/month during normal times.

It's like blaming the banks for people buying homes with interest only loans with variable interest rates and them bitching about their house payment after the rates go up and wondering why they don't have any equity.

The bolded part is stupid. Those people signed up for that risk. They had plenty of options to mitigate it but wanted to save $30/month during normal times.

It's like blaming the banks for people buying homes with interest only loans with variable interest rates and them bitching about their house payment after the rates go up and wondering why they don't have any equity.
@MtnHusker told me a 10 year ARM was a good idea you son of a bitch

Tell that the to kids/elderly who had zero fucking say in where they live.

Rolling into hour 36 of no electricity and feeling fine!
how to diy GIF by mtv

So explain to me how this power grid is so great at handling a cold snap that killed 700+ people back in 2021? Oh, it’s designed that way to avoid federal regulations and can only draw a very limited about of power from out of state sources.

To be fair it was a hell of a cold snap that would have unfortunately cost lives regardless but if TX wasn’t so goddamn stubborn less people would have died.

All for ideological purposes and money - $16B in unnecessary charges thanks to that spike in wholesale prices.

The bolded part is what seriously pisses me off.
I’m not explaining to you how it’s great or not. Simple facts is that what you’re claiming is wrong. We don’t have a national grid and none of the smaller grids want that because it doesn’t allow them to sell power to other utilities. ERCOT has made decisions for what they think is best just like your local utility does too.

I’m not explaining to you how it’s great or not. Simple facts is that what you’re claiming is wrong. We don’t have a national grid and none of the smaller grids want that because it doesn’t allow them to sell power to other utilities. ERCOT has made decisions for what they think is best just like your local utility does too.
I will also say a local storm that has caused an outage has nothing to do with the the grid. In 2021 every utility was concerned about outages. At OPPD, we basically stopped all maintenance to reduce risk of not re-energizing equipment during peak power usage.

Seems like it’s working well for them
TBH it does. A national grid brings in more problems than any one utility or entity could handle. PG&E in California isn’t starting fires because they want to do so. Local easement laws don’t allow them to service equipment. It’s the main reason they just shut people’s power off. The problem is that people think your power is like a taxi service. They want it when they call for it when they should be looking at it like a cell phone. It’s always there when you want to make a call.

Captains Log - Year of our Lord, May 30, 2024:

Over 48 hours without electricity. The feel of sweat and death stalks me. Though I can’t see it, I know it’s close by. Our dark and dingy shelter feels like a coffin as we sit in the blackness and await death’s sweet kiss.

This is my last transmission. Godspeed.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back