Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

TPB Travel thread (1 Viewer)

GAHusker

Cornerback
If you’re gonna go to the Carolinas just go to Kiawah. Everything is clean and well taken care of, no trashy people, excellent golf obviously, food is pretty solid and you can go into Charleston if you get bored of the island.

Heard great things about Hilton head too but never been myself.
Hilton Head is just okay

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
For context- I live in Charlotte and have since the year 2000, so I feel fairly qualified to speak to the NC/SC beach scene.

If you want low key and family friendly- do NOT go to Myrtle Beach. It is the New Jersey of South Carolina beaches- sick bars and boardwalks, concerts, shows, etc but extremely trashy and the complete and total opposite of “low key”

I’d recommend two beaches I visit frequently- the first being Hilton Head Island, SC (Incredible for families, known for family beach vacations/trips) and the second being Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC.

DM if you want me to give some actual planning info and whatnot but I cannot recommend Hilton Head Island enough. Getting married there this fall, fiancé and I both grew up going there as kids with our respective families. You can fly into HHI and it’s ~10 mins to any of the hotels/houses on the island. Stay in Sea Pines and go to Harbour Town, climb the lighthouse, visit the playground and shops, go to the many beaches and eat at Salty Dog Cafe. It’s a phenomenal time.

For Wilmington, you fly into ILM. The beach is Wrightsville Beach and you can get houses either on the beach area or in Wilmington where there is more food/entertainment. Also really enjoy visiting there- very popular spot for people from CLT to go on a long weekend.

Hope that helps.
Hilton Head is incredible. I'd recommend Marco Island as well.

Huskersballz

Running Back
Elite Member
Just got back from Cartagena last night… Very fun trip.

Stayed at an AirBNB in BocaGrande. Building was very nice and secure with an amazing view from both our Balcony on the 30th floor and the 40th story rooftop pool.

Went to the Walled City a few nights, it’s very vibrant and beautiful but also expensive and kind of a tourist trap. Prices are pretty much the same as you’d see in the US. Getsemaní is very beautiful as well but full of Euro Backpacker douchebags. Spent more time going out in BocaGrande near our Airbnb, has just as good restaurants, etc but at a fraction of the price.

What you hear about vendors trying to sell you stuff everywhere you go is true, a firm “no gracias” always sufficed though. Being with a Colombiana definitely helped as well with them backing off.

Did two beach days. First was a day trip to an all-inclusive resort on the Rosario Islands. Price was $190 and included boat ride, shaded bed on the beach, lunch and open bar for two people. Absolutely amazing. Sand was silky smooth and the water crystal clear blue. No vendors on Rosario Islands either so was great to get a break from them.

Second was a day trip to Barú. Was around $150 Included bus ride and lunch but had to pay for beach lounge spot and drinks. The beach itself was decent but Barú is a third world shithole. Had vendors walking in front of us every 30 seconds trying to sell us stuff and the server tried to overcharge us for the lounge spot until we called him out. This was the only part of the trip where the vendors did ruin the experience a bit. Just part of what you get when going to a place like Cartagena though so can’t complain too much.

Overall it was a great trip, if I was to go back would definitely carve out more time on the Rosario Islands. You really only need two days or so for Cartagena itself but the Rosario’s I could’ve spent much more time on.

View from the pool:
227B9D53-1246-4EA2-A6C5-293A7D28D4DF.jpeg

DC69EFAD-564A-4741-B072-3AE86B78668C.jpeg
FEA4E8E4-93A8-49AA-8FE5-3DFCC140A7A4.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2755.MOV

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Headed with the fam to the Port Canaveral area in Florida for a few days. Any tips on the best spots or activities? Got kids age 8 & under, so looking for lower-key stuff that'll be enjoyable for them too, without requiring a mafia loan to pay for it.

Omar Little

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
How's your visit to my neck of the woods? Where did you end up going for fun?
Sorry just now saw this.

Trip was good. I didn’t have time to do a lot or venture very far due to the work nature of the trip. I did get to Laguna beach for a couple hours the last night we were there. Neat area. Would have liked to make it to Huntington, but will have to when I come back eventually. Went to The Spectrum and got dinner a few times at different places.
Great weather and scenery.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Sorry just now saw this.

Trip was good. I didn’t have time to do a lot or venture very far due to the work nature of the trip. I did get to Laguna beach for a couple hours the last night we were there. Neat area. Would have liked to make it to Huntington, but will have to when I come back eventually. Went to The Spectrum and got dinner a few times at different places.
Laguna beach is cool. All those houses piled up in the hill. Bet that shit ain't cheap.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Sorry just now saw this.

Glad you had a good trip. You being in Irvine made Laguna a bit more accessible so good choice. You were a week too early as we're finally having a typical California February day, 78 degrees. Been a long time.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Laguna beach is cool. All those houses piled up in the hill. Bet that shit ain't cheap.
Good call. There are tear downs there that go for several mil. Crazy even for SoCal. Fun fact. Warren Buffet had a beach front pad in Laguna Beach he bought in 1971 for $150,000. He's selling it for $7.9 mil. 6 bedrooms for $7.9 mil is actually a pretty good deal. He spent very little time there but I think his daughter lived in it.

Last edited:

Omar Little

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Looking for recommendations on best restaurants in Phoenix, closer to Scottsdale is better. Good food, good atmosphere… Mexican, Steakhouses, Americana, Italian, Brunches, seafood and bbq are our faves.

We will be there mid March for a week

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Looking for recommendations on best restaurants in Phoenix, closer to Scottsdale is better. Good food, good atmosphere… Mexican, Steakhouses, Americana, Italian, Brunches, seafood and bbq are our faves.

We will be there mid March for a week
@BingoDingo lives down that way I think.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Anybody taken kids to an all inclusive in Cancun? Our kids are 14,12 and 9.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
We took our kids to a princess resort when they were those ages. We were pretty happy with it overall. How much are you thinking about spending.

I asked my AAA guy and he suggested Dreams Playa Mujeres or Moon Palace Cancun on the high end would be around $10k with flights. That’s pretty pricey. We’ve stayed at the Secrets Playa Mujeres (adult only sister to Dreams) and it was really nice.

I just don’t know if I want to spend $10k.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I asked my AAA guy and he suggested Dreams Playa Mujeres or Moon Palace Cancun on the high end would be around $10k with flights. That’s pretty pricey. We’ve stayed at the Secrets Playa Mujeres (adult only sister to Dreams) and it was really nice.

Buddy of mine liked El Cid in Puerto Morales. Same number of kids and about the same ages, went for a lot less than that. He said he enjoyed it.

doublewing

Running Back

Moon Palace is decent. Gives you access to three properties so a wide variety of food and activity options. You can use resort credits to go to the Mayan Ruins if you're up for about a 2.5 hour drive.

Omar Little

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member

Ya that seems high. Might be worth trying a different travel agent?

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
We settled on The Fives Ocean Hotel and Residences down in Playa Del Carmen. Will report back after the trip in June. Pretty reasonable when comparing prices..especially for a 2 bedroom suite.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds