Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

TPB Travel thread (4 Viewers)

doublewing

Running Back
Going to be in Irvine, CA this week for work. Any recs on restaurants and bars at laguna beach and Newport Beach? Anywhere with live music during the week would be a bonus. Never been to the area before.
I know Laguna Beach better. Driftwood and the Cliff Restaurant for good views and food. Not sure about the music situation at Driftwood but the Cliff has music quite a bit. Reservations days ahead for each IIRC.

Next atmospheric river landing sometime on the weekend. You should be good during the week.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Going to be in Irvine, CA this week for work. Any recs on restaurants and bars at laguna beach and Newport Beach? Anywhere with live music during the week would be a bonus. Never been to the area before.
I live here in Orange County so I'd suggest a couple of things. For Laguna Beach just go downtown which is inland right across from Main Beach. Lots of cool bars and restaurants all within a few blocks. Park in the municipal lots which are numerous and cheap.

Newport Beach is a large city and things are really spread out. I don't go to clubs there but Fashion Island off PCH has many really good restaurants. Kind of corporate though and not real intimate.

I'd recommend driving a few miles north on PCH to Main St. in Huntington Beach. Many good restaurants and bars and all within a 2 or 3 block area. It's directly north of the Huntington Beach Pier, one of the best in California. That's where they hold the World Championship of Surfing. Park in the municipal lots of which there are several.

Bring a jacket as it's been cold, for us anyway, at night and chilly during the day. 38 degrees tonight 3 miles from the beach.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
We try to take a beach trip every summer. Kids enjoy it.

I like pretty low key area for the most part. Don’t need much to do as the kids are young and are content with beaching it up everyday. Usually spend a week.

We’ve been to Gulf Shores, Daytona Beach and Panama City Beach. Was thinking maybe Myrtle Beach this year. But if anyone has any suggestions they like, I’d appreciate it.

bouncing boobs GIF

sexy bouncing boobs GIF

bouncing boobs GIF

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

I like pretty low key area for the most part. Don’t need much to do as the kids are young and are content with beaching it up everyday. Usually spend a week.

We’ve been to Gulf Shores, Daytona Beach and Panama City Beach. Was thinking maybe Myrtle Beach this year. But if anyone has any suggestions they like, I’d appreciate it.

bouncing boobs GIF

sexy bouncing boobs GIF

bouncing boobs GIF
Friend of mine went to Myrtle last year and came back very unimpressed. Said it was really trashy. Outter Banks in North Carolina is nice. Maybe Padre Island in Texas.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Went to Newport Beach this summer. I liked it way more than I expected but didn't eat anywhere super fantastic. Carmelitas a little Mexican restaurant in Laguna Beach was good if you end up down there. Wouldn't drive out of your way for it.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

bouncing boobs GIF

sexy bouncing boobs GIF

bouncing boobs GIF
I like the Destin area the best. Really anywhere between Pensacola to Panama City is basically the same though.

As I said above Newport Beach/Huntington Beach and South a ways is very nice for something different. Kids can take surf lessons.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I like the Destin area the best. Really anywhere between Pensacola to Panama City is basically the same though.

As I said above Newport Beach/Huntington Beach and South a ways is very nice for something different. Kids can take surf lessons.
Panama City was definitely our best trip so far. Helps as the kids get older and can do a bit more.

We’ve only traveled east. Are California coasts worth a trip? Shit we’ve talked about going to the UP before as well.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Panama City was definitely our best trip so far. Helps as the kids get older and can do a bit more.

We’ve only traveled east. Are California coasts worth a trip? Shit we’ve talked about going to the UP before as well.
The California coast is well worth a trip. It gets prettier the farther north you go. Santa Barbara north all the way to the Oregon border is as good as it gets in terms of beauty, dramatic views and seafood especially around Monterey. Lots of history too. Take Hwy.1 where you can. You won't be disappointed.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
How's your visit to my neck of the woods? Where did you end up going for fun?

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member

bouncing boobs GIF

sexy bouncing boobs GIF

bouncing boobs GIF
Myrtle Beach is an absolute dump now imo. If interested in Carolina’s, Outter Banks like mentioned above.
Gulf Coast: Destin, Miramar Beach.

I’d also recommend checking out the New England coast for Summer vacation. I’m biased, but nothing beats NE Coastline in the summer, scenery, food, beaches, things to do.
Cape Cod is great with many destination options on the Cape.
Newport, Rhode Island (Great!) (great food and restaurants) plenty of Beach. Not sure of kids ages, but Cliff Walk is awesome along with tours of the old historic Mansions that run along the cliff walk:

New Hampshire, Hampton Beach (Great for kids!) Boardwalk and plenty of beach. This is where I grew up vacation in the Summer as a kid.

Maine, Old Orchard Beach (Great for kids). Amusement park on beach.

doublewing

Running Back
The California coast is well worth a trip. It gets prettier the farther north you go. Santa Barbara north all the way to the Oregon border is as good as it gets in terms of beauty, dramatic views and seafood especially around Monterey. Lots of history too. Take Hwy.1 where you can. You won't be disappointed.
Agreed. I particularly love the California coastline north of SF Bay. All of it is scenic, but I particularly like stopping at Bodega Bay, Salt Point, Mendocino and the Lost Coast. Rugged coastline, moderate weather and less people.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball

bouncing boobs GIF

sexy bouncing boobs GIF

bouncing boobs GIF
For context- I live in Charlotte and have since the year 2000, so I feel fairly qualified to speak to the NC/SC beach scene.

If you want low key and family friendly- do NOT go to Myrtle Beach. It is the New Jersey of South Carolina beaches- sick bars and boardwalks, concerts, shows, etc but extremely trashy and the complete and total opposite of “low key”

I’d recommend two beaches I visit frequently- the first being Hilton Head Island, SC (Incredible for families, known for family beach vacations/trips) and the second being Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC.

DM if you want me to give some actual planning info and whatnot but I cannot recommend Hilton Head Island enough. Getting married there this fall, fiancé and I both grew up going there as kids with our respective families. You can fly into HHI and it’s ~10 mins to any of the hotels/houses on the island. Stay in Sea Pines and go to Harbour Town, climb the lighthouse, visit the playground and shops, go to the many beaches and eat at Salty Dog Cafe. It’s a phenomenal time.

For Wilmington, you fly into ILM. The beach is Wrightsville Beach and you can get houses either on the beach area or in Wilmington where there is more food/entertainment. Also really enjoy visiting there- very popular spot for people from CLT to go on a long weekend.

Hope that helps.

GAHusker

Cornerback
Friend of mine went to Myrtle last year and came back very unimpressed. Said it was really trashy. Outter Banks in North Carolina is nice. Maybe Padre Island in Texas.
Most people think Dyrtle is pretty trashy, just FYI. It’s also super commercial etc.

Outer Banks is nice, as well as the Georgia beaches (Jekyll and Saint Simons), Fernadina Beach, and Charleston. I generally prefer the gulf, though, because I like the clear water and the waves usually aren’t as bad, so the beaches along 30A are usually my pick.

Last edited:

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
Most people think Dyrtle is pretty trashy, just FYI. It’s also super commercial etc.

Outer Banks is nice, as well as the Georgia beaches (Jekyll and Saint Simons), Fernadina Beach, and Charleston. I generally prefer the gulf, though, because I like the clear water and the waves usually aren’t as bad, so the beaches along 30A are usually my pick.
+1 for Saint Simons Island- a true hidden gem

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Myrtle Beach is an absolute dump now imo. If interested in Carolina’s, Outter Banks like mentioned above.
Gulf Coast: Destin, Miramar Beach.

I’d also recommend checking out the New England coast for Summer vacation. I’m biased, but nothing beats NE Coastline in the summer, scenery, food, beaches, things to do.
Cape Cod is great with many destination options on the Cape.
Newport, Rhode Island (Great!) (great food and restaurants) plenty of Beach. Not sure of kids ages, but Cliff Walk is awesome along with tours of the old historic Mansions that run along the cliff walk:

New Hampshire, Hampton Beach (Great for kids!) Boardwalk and plenty of beach. This is where I grew up vacation in the Summer as a kid.

Maine, Old Orchard Beach (Great for kids). Amusement park on beach.

For context- I live in Charlotte and have since the year 2000, so I feel fairly qualified to speak to the NC/SC beach scene.

If you want low key and family friendly- do NOT go to Myrtle Beach. It is the New Jersey of South Carolina beaches- sick bars and boardwalks, concerts, shows, etc but extremely trashy and the complete and total opposite of “low key”

I’d recommend two beaches I visit frequently- the first being Hilton Head Island, SC (Incredible for families, known for family beach vacations/trips) and the second being Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC.

DM if you want me to give some actual planning info and whatnot but I cannot recommend Hilton Head Island enough. Getting married there this fall, fiancé and I both grew up going there as kids with our respective families. You can fly into HHI and it’s ~10 mins to any of the hotels/houses on the island. Stay in Sea Pines and go to Harbour Town, climb the lighthouse, visit the playground and shops, go to the many beaches and eat at Salty Dog Cafe. It’s a phenomenal time.

For Wilmington, you fly into ILM. The beach is Wrightsville Beach and you can get houses either on the beach area or in Wilmington where there is more food/entertainment. Also really enjoy visiting there- very popular spot for people from CLT to go on a long weekend.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for this. Will look into it more. I generally despise being in large groups of people. We're perfectly content finding somewhere more secluded away from big crowds if possible. We're still not entirely sure we'll take a trip this summer. More leaning towards skipping this summer and splurging next and fly out to Kauai.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
@slattimer I think it depends a bit on how much your kids like to actually get in the water v. just having a beach.

They're all getting more adventurous in the water. Especially the 5 year old because she's a stubborn ass, I'm going to do it and I don't care what you say kid that is going to be the reason I lose all of my hair child. She got pissed this summer before she turned 5 because she wanted to swim without her puddle jumper, well...no child...you can't swim yet. Within a month that little shit figured out how to swim on her own and was flying off the high dive at the pool, no puddle jumper.

Older kids like to go out in the water, swim, float, boogie board. Older two are starting to figure out snorkeling.

Pipehog69

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
If you’re gonna go to the Carolinas just go to Kiawah. Everything is clean and well taken care of, no trashy people, excellent golf obviously, food is pretty solid and you can go into Charleston if you get bored of the island.

Heard great things about Hilton head too but never been myself.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds