Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

TPB Special Edition Saturday Night Open Chat (4 Viewers)

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Who are Faux Sean and Black Dean on the RSS?

Do they still post on the mothership?

Also, Jim hasn't bant a single poster yet despite being a GOD MOD, and I'm concerned he'll never live up to the "7th brat"'s legacy of modding. See you all in Detroit.
I don't post anymore on RSS... I have interns for that.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Frost has had a lot of issues w/ finding the teams identity. We could have a long long chat about what he’s done right/wrong...my biggest take away from his years at the helm was having a 5’8” 175lb “bell cow” in the B1G. I know Mills got his touches but Frost can’t figure out if he wants an Oregon offense or a Nebraska 90’s O. And the you can go on and on and on about how he talks to croots.
I really feel like Frost is having that internal battle right now between that 90s O and the Oregon offense. But I also think he’s just stubborn enough to where he’ll stick with the Oregon O until it’s almost too late, while still toying with the 90s O because he knows it would still work. But I do think a version of the 90s O is winning that battle slightly based on reading tea leaves and comments him and the coaches have made. When you look at games we’ve struggled in with the spread, and it’s obvious he’s pissed off about it, he goes back to the power run game for a little bit with his play calling almost in like a “fuck it, fine” mindset.

I do think if his job depended on it and the pressure to return to that kind of football got loud enough, he’d do it fully. Think this job means that much to him

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I really feel like Frost is having that internal battle right now between that 90s O and the Oregon offense. But I also think he’s just stubborn enough to where he’ll stick with the Oregon O until it’s almost too late, while still toying with the 90s O because he knows it would still work. But I do think a version of the 90s O is winning that battle slightly based on reading tea leaves and comments him and the coaches have made. When you look at games we’ve struggled in with the spread, and it’s obvious he’s pissed off about it, he goes back to the power run game for a little bit with his play calling almost in like a “fuck it, fine” mindset.

I do think if his job depended on it and the pressure to return to that kind of football got loud enough, he’d do it fully. Think this job means that much to him

I think if we had 3 good OL playing at a B+ or better level and a legit RB that could handle 25+ carries a week and still be a beast that Frost would switch to a modified 1997 Option/spread offense immediately.

The problem is getting 3 or more good OL all playing at a high level at the same time. For the past few seasons we have had 1 or 2 good OL but never a consistent majority of the 5.

I am a Run the Ball guy and it saddens me

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think if we had 3 good OL playing at a B+ or better level and a legit RB that could handle 25+ carries a week and still be a beast that Frost would switch to a modified 1997 Option/spread offense immediately.

The problem is getting 3 or more good OL all playing at a high level at the same time. For the past few seasons we have had 1 or 2 good OL but never a consistent majority of the 5.

The older I get and the more I see the spread, just overall in CFB, the more I become a run the damn ball guy. I know guys on here have said it technically doesn’t matter but going from the gun inside the 5 3x before scoring or not scoring drives me nuts

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG

For some reason when reading this post I imagined you smoking a cigarette and eating Casey’s breakfast pizza

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member

The 90s O wins us the west. But we need the Oregon O to beat OSU and win playoff games and help us recruit better athletes.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The 90s O wins us the west. But we need the Oregon O to beat OSU and win playoff games and help us recruit better athletes.
2 questions:

1. why do you need the Oregon O to beat the elite teams in the playoff. Awful comparison I’m about to make but we didn’t need it to beat the fun n gun Florida team for a natty, so that’s basically saying the same thing?

2. how do you beat those guys for those kinds of recruits when the gap is this large?

i personally think because everyone runs spread now days, running that 90s offense would be perfect because people shit their pants most times when they see it cause they’re not prepared for it.

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
If they stop your run 4 straight times from under center then tip your cap and move on to the next series, they executed better.
I mean, I get that. I should’ve said I just don’t understand how we are that shitty on the o line that we CANT run it inside the 5

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I mean, I get that. I should’ve said I just don’t understand how we are that shitty on the o line that we CANT run it inside the 5
I believe @slattimer said it perfectly, too cute of play calling. That pitch to Hickman last year against Rutgers last year was stupid. Also thought then and still think that the option was the only play that goal line series that worked perfectly was very ironic lol

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
2 questions:

1. why do you need the Oregon O to beat the elite teams in the playoff. Awful comparison I’m about to make but we didn’t need it to beat the fun n gun Florida team for a natty, so that’s basically saying the same thing?

2. how do you beat those guys for those kinds of recruits when the gap is this large?

i personally think because everyone runs spread now days, running that 90s offense would be perfect because people shit their pants most times when they see it cause they’re not prepared for it.
I'm not sure if this answers your question because I am riffing here and this post is all over the place but

To me the most intriguing thing about Frost and his time here has been this juxtoposition between the old school Husker culture and the Oregon culture and what Frost is trying to create here. I think Frost knows that he needs to recreate the old Nebraska culture, but he also knows that we have to find a way to market the program to today's recruits, so he also wants to follow the Oregon model. The Oregon UCF culture is fast and aggressive and exciting and "cool" and you can market that to kids. But the Oregon UCF culture and identity is the opposite of the traditional Nebraska culture. Osborne's teams were physical and brutal and boring and highly efficient and disciplined, etc., but I'm not sure how you market that to kids until after you start winning lots of games ("Nebraska is boring and its not for everyone, but we physically beat the shit out of everyone and we win championships). Obviously you can market that culture to kids, but I think you have to win a lot of games first.

Wisconsin runs a power offense, plays great defense, and plays good special teams. Us returning to old school Husker football is essentially just copying what Wisconsin is doing. But Wisconsin will never get top 10 recruiting classes and they will never win a natty. Frost needs to win championships. So how does Frost take the 90s offense, which is part of the Nebraska identity, and modify it in a way that will allow us to recruit well enough to compete with the Alabama's of the world? That leads you back to the spread.

On another note, when people talk about Nebraska's culture everyone always talks about the offense and the option and the power o. But I'm starting to think that it was the defense that created Nebraska's culture. The attitude of those 90s Nebraska teams was militant and brutal and it was the defense that embodied that the most and enforced it throughout the program.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'm not sure if this answers your question because I am riffing here and this post is all over the place but

To me the most intriguing thing about Frost and his time here has been this juxtoposition between the old school Husker culture and the Oregon culture and what Frost is trying to create here. I think Frost knows that he needs to recreate the old Nebraska culture, but he also knows that we have to find a way to market the program to today's recruits, so he also wants to follow the Oregon model. The Oregon UCF culture is fast and aggressive and exciting and "cool" and you can market that to kids. But the Oregon UCF culture and identity is the opposite of the traditional Nebraska culture. Osborne's teams were physical and brutal and boring and highly efficient and disciplined, etc., but I'm not sure how you market that to kids until after you start winning lots of games ("Nebraska is boring and its not for everyone, but we physically beat the shit out of everyone and we win championships). Obviously you can market that culture to kids, but I think you have to win a lot of games first.

Wisconsin runs a power offense, plays great defense, and plays good special teams. Us returning to old school Husker football is essentially just copying what Wisconsin is doing. But Wisconsin will never get top 10 recruiting classes and they will never win a natty. Frost needs to win championships. So how does Frost take the 90s offense, which is part of the Nebraska identity, and modify it in a way that will allow us to recruit well enough to compete with the Alabama's of the world? That leads you back to the spread.

On another note, when people talk about Nebraska's culture everyone always talks about the offense and the option and the power o. But I'm starting to think that it was the defense that created Nebraska's culture. The attitude of those 90s Nebraska teams was militant and brutal and it was the defense that embodied that the most and enforced it throughout the program.
That makes perfect sense. My opinion is this, I think we are past the point of Frost’s career here, where he can sell the flashy potential of that Oregon UCF offense here, only because of the results so far. Those guys that he needs to do that are going to Ohio state if they’re coming to the big 10. And that gap is obviously huge. So I think that’s where that conflict is happening. I do think if he won more in those first 2-3 years, more of those Omar Manning’s would have showed and stayed. So then the question begs, if you can’t get the Ohio state caliber guys here because it may be too late, but you preach old school nebraska tactics, at what point do you embody that and live old school Nebraska on the field? And I just mean offensively. Defensively, I actually think we’re on a very nice track there. It’s hard for me personally to buy into that and stay up beat, when you go from the gun on the 3, run a little pitch to Hickman, and get fuckin stuffed. I know we were a block from Corcoran away from scoring there, but why be so cute?

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
The older I get and the more I see the spread, just overall in CFB, the more I become a run the damn ball guy. I know guys on here have said it technically doesn’t matter but going from the gun inside the 5 3x before scoring or not scoring drives me nuts

I’m 30 years old but
C522975C-3A9A-4335-BC95-BBD32B5F5407.jpeg

(shoutout @HCFord1 because this is his pic of his hat years ago)

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds