Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Thoughts on the pitch clock for MLB? (1 Viewer)

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
Eliminate the DH and/or give teams more leeway with policing themselves on the unwritten rules. Pitchers will speed up on their own if they know being a turtle on the mound will turn into rib bruises.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

I think this will help make the game more enjoyable...

I use to watch a ton of MLB Baseball. Grew up a Royals Fan. When I lived in Colorado I use to go out drinking with Charlie Monfort, owner of the Colorado Rockies. Learned so much about what truly went on behind the scenes. Especially with the financial aspects. No questions were off limits after we were 8-12 drinks deep. I really struggle with the unfair playing field when it comes to what teams can pay. I know my Royals & Rockies are never going to be able to pay like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox...... Small Market teams are fucked. They develop a player only to watch him sign with their competition at the peak of his career. Until MLB levels the playing field with some form of Salary Cap I struggle to be vested in the teams as I know I'll get my heart broken when they can't afford to sign their star players.

They need to do something to speed up the game as many fans get so bored with the pace. I do like the pitch clock as I think it will move the game along. Tired of seeing pitchers being labeled "The Human Rain Delay" dragging a game out. I don't think a 9 inning game should be going close to 3 hours. It benefits the fans and players to have shorter games.

Read an article about the Cubs before they installed lights and how they were at such a big disadvantage because they played all of their games at Wrigley during the day. Talked about players wearing down over the season because of playing in the afternoon heat all summer. They had a higher rate injuries plus their stats started slipping as their bodies wore down from playing in the heat all the time at home. They were forced to play their reserves more to keep starters healthy. Playing in 95 degree heat at 3 pm at Wrigley is much harder on you than a 7 pm game with 78 degree temps across town at Komiskey. Speeding up the game should in theory also help the players as they won't be playing as long in excessive heat games when they do have the occasional afternoon game.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I use to watch a ton of MLB Baseball. Grew up a Royals Fan. When I lived in Colorado I use to go out drinking with Charlie Monfort, owner of the Colorado Rockies. Learned so much about what truly went on behind the scenes. Especially with the financial aspects. No questions were off limits after we were 8-12 drinks deep. I really struggle with the unfair playing field when it comes to what teams can pay. I know my Royals & Rockies are never going to be able to pay like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox...... Small Market teams are fucked. They develop a player only to watch him sign with their competition at the peak of his career. Until MLB levels the playing field with some form of Salary Cap I struggle to be vested in the teams as I know I'll get my heart broken when they can't afford to sign their star players.

They need to do something to speed up the game as many fans get so bored with the pace. I do like the pitch clock as I think it will move the game along. Tired of seeing pitchers being labeled "The Human Rain Delay" dragging a game out. I don't think a 9 inning game should be going close to 3 hours. It benefits the fans and players to have shorter games.

Read an article about the Cubs before they installed lights and how they were at such a big disadvantage because they played all of their games at Wrigley during the day. Talked about players wearing down over the season because of playing in the afternoon heat all summer. They had a higher rate injuries plus their stats started slipping as their bodies wore down from playing in the heat all the time at home. They were forced to play their reserves more to keep starters healthy. Playing in 95 degree heat at 3 pm at Wrigley is much harder on you than a 7 pm game with 78 degree temps across town at Komiskey. Speeding up the game should in theory also help the players as they won't be playing as long in excessive heat games when they do have the occasional afternoon game.

This is where I always felt like they needed to institute a salary floor as well as a salary ceiling. No different than the luxury tax if you go above the salary cap, you would also be fined if you were below the salary floor.

klrgumby

Linebacker
I personally love it. Obviously it’s going to be an adjustment for guys that have had the luxury of doing whatever they wanted as a batter or pitcher for their entire lives but they will figure it out. Our local High A minor league affiliate used it and everyone at that level loved it. Once they get it down it will be something everyone loves and will help owners get more butts in the seats during the week when games are ending sooner that they normally do.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
This is where I always felt like they needed to institute a salary floor as well as a salary ceiling. No different than the luxury tax if you go above the salary cap, you would also be fined if you were below the salary floor.
I think hockey has this...

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think one of the unique aspects of baseball compared to the NFL & NBA is they have so many expenses associated with their minor league teams so a high development costs. Charlie told me how much money they were losing with their Minor League Teams along with their Dominican Baseball Academy. Unlike an NFL team which probably has under 100 employees total when you count coaches, admin, PT, S&C...... MLB baseball teams probably has well over 500 employees. We'd go to the Spring Training Games in Arizona and he'd have well over 30 employees down there for it.

Was around 2005 and was discussing Free Agent spending with Charlie. At the time the Rockies got something like $22 million/yr in TV & Radio revenue, and meanwhile the Yankees were bringing in $232 million/yr in TV & Radio revenue. He signed higher dollar Free Agents Charles Johnson, Denny Nagel and Mike Hampton that didn't live up to their big dollar contracts. I forgot what he said the total was but set him back 2-3 years on money. It was a struggle for smaller market teams to overcome FA's that signed but didn't play well or got hurt. He said KC, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and other smaller market teams just had to plan on rebuilds every 4-8 years. When team was looking like it wouldn't be competitive they would trade off higher dollar players for prospects in hopes of saving money and being competitive in 3-4 years. It was a cycle that smaller market teams ahd to follow. I know it has changed a bit with revenue sharing but still unfair advantage for big market revenue teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Angels & Red Sox.

I looked at the MLB Payrolls. Appears that the Mets & Yankees combined have a higher payroll than the 9 lowest payrolled teams combined. The Dodgers & Red Sox have almost as much combined on Injured Reserve as the Oakland A's have for total payroll.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Absolutely love it. I watched a spring training game the other day and, whaddya know, I found myself actually watching closely and following every pitch! Haha. As much as baseball is a “pastime,” it had gotten too passive for modern attention spans. The dead air inbetween pitches was just begging fans to look at their phones or change the channel. I think it has already made it seem more fun and exciting, which is a key ingredient to liking a sport in my mind haha.

Also I think the awkwardness of a new rule will go away pretty early in the season when the pitchers and batters are all used to it.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

stand up television GIF

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I think they had to do something. The game felt like it was getting over strategized and it was taking away from the beauty of the sport.

Although I know their intent isn’t that wholesome. They just want to be able to appeal to Gen Z viewers

ThomOsborneMD

NFL PICKEM CHAMP
Elite Member
tPB OG

Are you calling the monforts in Colorado a small market? Fuck those guys

ThomOsborneMD

NFL PICKEM CHAMP
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think one of the unique aspects of baseball compared to the NFL & NBA is they have so many expenses associated with their minor league teams so a high development costs. Charlie told me how much money they were losing with their Minor League Teams along with their Dominican Baseball Academy. Unlike an NFL team which probably has under 100 employees total when you count coaches, admin, PT, S&C...... MLB baseball teams probably has well over 500 employees. We'd go to the Spring Training Games in Arizona and he'd have well over 30 employees down there for it.

Was around 2005 and was discussing Free Agent spending with Charlie. At the time the Rockies got something like $22 million/yr in TV & Radio revenue, and meanwhile the Yankees were bringing in $232 million/yr in TV & Radio revenue. He signed higher dollar Free Agents Charles Johnson, Denny Nagel and Mike Hampton that didn't live up to their big dollar contracts. I forgot what he said the total was but set him back 2-3 years on money. It was a struggle for smaller market teams to overcome FA's that signed but didn't play well or got hurt. He said KC, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and other smaller market teams just had to plan on rebuilds every 4-8 years. When team was looking like it wouldn't be competitive they would trade off higher dollar players for prospects in hopes of saving money and being competitive in 3-4 years. It was a cycle that smaller market teams ahd to follow. I know it has changed a bit with revenue sharing but still unfair advantage for big market revenue teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Angels & Red Sox.

I looked at the MLB Payrolls. Appears that the Mets & Yankees combined have a higher payroll than the 9 lowest payrolled teams combined. The Dodgers & Red Sox have almost as much combined on Injured Reserve as the Oakland A's have for total payroll.
Also how bout they hire a real GM that won’t trade home grown arenado for peanuts then sign Kris Bryant for way too much

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Are you calling the monforts in Colorado a small market? Fuck those guys
Yes, Colorado is considered one of the smallest markets in MLB for TV & Radio Revenue. Besides the immediate Denver/Boulder/Colorado Springs Metro Area there is only 1 city within 500 miles of Denver with a population over 100,000, and that's Albuquerque at about 450 miles. So outside of the Denver marker you are somewhat isolated when it comes to ease of travel to a game or finding markets that will pay to pick up TV & Radio broadcasts. Go 500 miles in every direction and you hit pretty much nothing. Hence the reason they generate one of the lowest TV & Radio Revenues. No big radio or tv stations to pick them up. Even the Royals have 7-8 closer cities of over 100,000: Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines, Tulsa, Columbia, Springfield, Oklahoma City..... that might pick up Royals games broadcasts. The neighboring states to Colorado don't even have moderate population bases. Wyoming, Nebraska, Utah, New Mexico & Kansas. I think the Rockies are the 4th lowest TV Revenue just below Minnesota and the Royals.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds