Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things going well for the Pac12 (1 Viewer)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Oklahoma and Texas not going to the SEC until 2025 now

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
101st media market and this ain't Chris Petersen's Boise
Still a more recongnizable and cared about brand than SDSU and SMU. They stand out in the "mid-major" category. Again - my point with them listed is just needing to go after Athletic Departments that have a proven history of success rather than tv markets.

SDSU makes sense to me far more than an SMU.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Still a more recongnizable and cared about brand than SDSU and SMU. They stand out in the "mid-major" category. Again - my point with them listed is just needing to go after Athletic Departments that have a proven history of success rather than tv markets.

SDSU makes sense to me far more than an SMU.
The proven success does way less for them than anything that could juice a tv deal though

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
The proven success does way less for them than anything that could juice a tv deal though
So our only goal is to get into TV markets that don't care about watching the product on TV to become more profitable?

I hate that...give me quality product and I'll find the game no matter where I'm at. I am saddened that the Pac12 is going to be irrelevant as fuck in the coming years.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
So our only goal is to get into TV markets that don't care about watching the product on TV to become more profitable?

I hate that...give me quality product and I'll find the game no matter where I'm at. I am saddened that the Pac12 is going to be irrelevant as fuck in the coming years.
I don't like it but yeah that's what leagues seem to think.

I'd go back to how it was like 2009 ish before we got dumb and stupid if I got a say

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Rutgers and Maryland weren't brought into the B1G because of their proven success on the field, same concepts apply here with PAC12 expansion. .

Either way, PAC12 is fucked when those 2 schools are first on your target list. Oregon and Washington are begging for their lifeline from the B1G. Honestly, I can see the PAC12 dissolving within 4 years .. The top Tier schools will get B1G invites, the middle of the pack schools go to the Big 12, and the remaining reject schools will go into the Mountain West

gtlacey

Defensive Lineman
Are tv markets as big of a deal with now? With streaming and nothing being on the "local channels" anymore anyways is it that big of a deal? I grew up in the Dallas area. I didn't know a single SMU fan. Everybody there either cheers for Texas, OU or A&M with a few Tech/Baylor fans sprinkled in.
Don't bash the Ponies! We invented NIL!

Chi7397

Cornerback
Elite Member

Yeah also BSU is a relatively good MWC team - they’re not as good as they were under Chris Peterson when they were the elite G5 school - so not sure I’d say they’re that great of a product.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Rutgers and Maryland weren't brought into the B1G because of their proven success on the field, same concepts apply here with PAC12 expansion. .

Either way, PAC12 is fucked when those 2 schools are first on your target list. Oregon and Washington are begging for their lifeline from the B1G. Honestly, I can see the PAC12 dissolving within 4 years .. The top Tier schools will get B1G invites, the middle of the pack schools go to the Big 12, and the remaining reject schools will go into the Mountain West
Agree with so much of what you lay out here.

There's a BIG difference between adding TV markets to an established conference to expand it's reach vs. having a floudering 3rd rate (at best) conference that needs to re-establish itself as a dominant conference. They literally have Oregon and Utah. That's it right now. They really are a more prestigious MWC right now.

And the two headed monster of Oregon and Utah have to be on a hair trigger to jump looking at this potential move. At least the Big12 went and got basically any program that could be considered "strong enough" to jump to P5 while the Pac12 watched it all shake out. Would love to see the B1G absorb Oregon and Utah and just finish the Pac off completely. Maybe the B1G goes big enough and brings even more of the next tier of the Pac12 that the Rose Bowl just becomes the B1G championship.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

Add Utah, the Arizona's & Colorado to the Big12 and it's a step up for the conference. Not sure I'd want to deal with a liberal Cali school like Cal though. I think Schools like Oregon St & Wash St gotta be sweating. If we were going to add schools from the Pac 12 I'd like Washington, Oregon, Arizona St & Stanford to be the schools considered the most. Might not be bad to have Colorado just because it gives us a close rival plus could help with recruiting in Colorado.

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member

And the conference will have conversations will all cable providers in those markets to ensure that their PAC12 channel will be put on their standard channel package before extending any invite to those schools to join the conference.

Rutgers put the BTN over the edge in the NYC market to have it on basic packages. Worth so many dollars to have millions of people pay .50c - $1/sub for a channel they will never watch.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I get the tribalism of it all, but is there an actual reason we should be cheering about these teams/conferences being left in the dust? How is this going to make being a college football better or more fun?

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
I get the tribalism of it all, but is there an actual reason we should be cheering about these teams/conferences being left in the dust? How is this going to make being a college football better or more fun?
Can’t speak for everyone, but after being the laughing stock for what it seems the last ten years by other fanbases, it’s fun to watch their conferences scramble to stay relevant.

As far as fun, it was never fun to watch SEC dominate the BCS and 4-team playoffs. It will be fun to watch the main two conferences mostly fill a a 12 team playoff with the better of teams from the other conferences.

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
This is getting embarrassing

Live look at PAC12 commissioner:

200w.gif

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds